Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jhough422

Re: Frozen black 'ad info" screen during commercials

Jump to solution

Would switching from YouTubeTV to Hulu solve the problem?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Same issue.  I just sub to YTTV after a decade of DirectTV and getting rid of it (Finally!) and having this same issue with a 55 inch Roku TLC 4K TV.  So annoying.  Having the issue watching HLN and Smithsonian Channel so far, I don't watch Fox News......shudders!.... Getting the black screen with the "Ad Info" on the top let of the TV screen.

0 Kudos
terry106sc
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have 3 Roku streaming sticks I'm about ready to put in the trash due to this issue.  Yes, it's a Youtube TV issue, but we're watching it on...Roku...but not for much longer.  For me it's on any channel were Youtube TV couldn't see ad time and they run that generic ad with the ad info icon in the top left corner.  Roku just doesn't give a rat's ass about 10 pages of complaints on this issue.  Yes, switching to Hulu fixes the problem but with Hulu, if you pay EXTRA, you can get up to 200 hours of cloud DVR where as Youtube TV is basically unlimited DVR for 9 months rolling.  I use the heck out of the DVR service.

0 Kudos
terry106sc
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I should have also mentioned that I own 3 Amazon Firesticks (don't like the interface or lack of Private Listening) and used them all last week with Youtube TV and no black screen at all.

0 Kudos
mitch053
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have 4 Roku sticks and 1 Roku TV and all of them have this issue with YouTube TV.  I dropped YTTV months ago because of this problem.  Just came back on a 2 week trial to see if it has finally been resolved and I see that it has not.  I can say that I have never had any problem like this using FUBO with the same Roku devices and I may have to switch back if this issue is not resolved before my trial ends.  FUBO is missing some channels that YTTV has and its DVR is not as good as YTTV but it is much faster at switching channels and has been more reliable.  This black screen issue happened about 6 times today alone on both my office and kitchen TV's.  I have had different long drawn out issues with YTTV over the past few years that have taken months to get resolved but were eventually resolved.  I don't get why Fubo can be so reliable and snappy through the guide and launching channels, but Google with all its resources can't get this right.

0 Kudos
terry106sc
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hey @mitch053 thanks for the information on Fubo TV, I've tried it since you mentioned it and I really like it a lot, plus no black screens of death. The guide is excellent.  I'm keep Fubo TV and moving on from Youtube TV.

0 Kudos
James1776
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I gave up on Roku, they simply don't care. Instead I bought a used latest series Roku player, plugged it in, and no black screen of death since I made the shift a week ago. I certainly do not want to reward Roku for their awful tech support by buying one of their products new but my used one seems to resolve the black screen.

0 Kudos
James1776
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It's not that they cannot fix the issue. It's that they won't.

0 Kudos
Jandch

Problem with YouTube TV Channel Changes

Jump to solution

Bought 2 new Roku 4k streaming sticks in December and installed 1gb fiber to my home. Subscribed to Youtube TV. All was well until late last week. Now, when changing between live channels in Youtube TV, the screen sometimes goes black and the requested channel never comes on. Sometimes get the endless spinning wheel, other times just a black screen. Often have to reboot the device to get it to change channels. Both devices say they are running the latest software. Very unhappy at this point.

0 Kudos
BRJM

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue but only while watching CNN.  I have to go to the LIVE menu option on YouTube TV, select another channel, let that load, then go back and reselect CNN and it clears??

0 Kudos