Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steelersx
Channel Surfer

Re: Frozen black 'ad info" screen during commercials

Jump to solution

I was about to buy a new Roku but if this isn't fixed, I am going to get a Chromecast.

0 Kudos
dpark254
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I believe it's a YouTube tv issue. Having same problems on TCL Roku tv as well as LG smart tv

0 Kudos
James1776
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I've been booted from Liberty Mutual commercials 3 times already today. Roku refuses to fix the issue so I'm buying a used device to see if that works as it should.

0 Kudos
wankeg

Why does Roku freeze on commercials no matter what channel you're watching?

Jump to solution

Why is it that commercials will come on and Roku "freezes" with a black screen that says Ad info in the top right corner?  This seems to happen a lot?  It can be fixed by hitting back, selecting a different channel and returning to the channel you're watching but VERY inconvenient!!

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why does Roku freeze on commercials no matter what channel you're watching?

Jump to solution

@wankeg 

Mine doesn't. I have no issues with content resuming after commercials.

Maybe there's a problem with the app/service. You didn't say which one you are using, so I can't test what you're using, only what I normally use. And I'm not experiencing any such issues.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
jeffreyh51
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

You are correct about it being a YouTube TV issue, however, it's a YouTube TV issue only as it applies to specific Roku devices such as the Streaming Stick+, and some TVs with Roku integration (not sure which others). I have had the opportunity to try a number of different streaming devices, as well as streaming services, and not one experiences the issue. Only YouTube TV on Roku, but not on my Ultra 4s.

I presume that those integrated TVs have the same hardware inside as the streaming stick, and while I'm no expert, it seems logical that there's some sort of firmware or hardware issue with those Roku devices that won't allow a proper fix, and Roku doesn't know what to do about it. Another possibility is that I find it no coincidence that Roku had some very well publicized issues with YouTube TV this past year, and that they are the only ones who are having this issue. Conspiracy theory? Maybe, maybe not.

My family is using Firesticks right now without the freezing issue, but they keep complaining about the lack of the simple Roku interface that they're used to. As I've said previously, I'll hang around a bit longer to see what Roku does, as I have considerable dollars invested in their devices...4 Streaming Stick+, and 3 Ultras, all of which used to perform very well with YouTube TV, but at some point, I have to move on permanently, and have them get used to a new interface.

0 Kudos
James1776
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

If the issue was software or firmware related I figure Roku would fix it BUT, if it is a hardware issue, fixing it would cost a fortune so they ignore us and hope we will go away.

0 Kudos
James1776
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

let me rephrase it. I believe it is cheaper to lose a few hundred customers than to repair a few thousand devices....

jeffreyh51
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Couldn't agree more, and is my main concern, particularly since I have somewhere around $450 invested in my current Roku setup, to say nothing about all of the other Rokus I've had, and upgraded through the years in order to stay current.

0 Kudos
PastorOpa

Jump to solution

I have same problem and it occurs during several channels on YouTube TV. I have restarted the Roku and uninstalled YouTube TV and reinstalled…it randomly continues.

0 Kudos