Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Raduzrk99
Reel Rookie

Re: Frozen black 'ad info" screen during commercials

Jump to solution

No Kariza it's happening to everyone so providing the info you requested will not help, only delay a solution.  The problem is on your end, like maybe a loop in a program.

0 Kudos
jeffreyh51
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Okay. I’ve spent way too much time on this than I should, but since I’ve spent many years as a beta hardware and software tester for a number of hardware and software companies, I can’t help but take on a challenge. Here’s what I’ve found…

On the basis of my (maybe somewhat limited) tests, this is strictly an issue on Roku, as it applies to YouTube TV, except for Roku Ultra units. The Ultra 3, does exhibit the issue, while the 4’s are fine. I have tested with Firestick, Chromecast, and even the new Tivo streamer, and not one, at least in my testing, exhibits the freezing behavior. In addition, DirecTV Stream, on the Roku sticks does not do it either. It’s definitely a YouTube/Roku issue, and I find it very hard to believe that Roku has not found a way to address it (or even acknowledge it), particularly since it’s an obvious problem with the lack of active placeholders when there is either no commercial, or an active placeholder available. I am acutely aware of the recent carriage dispute with the two, which, thankfully, has been resolved for now, but I can’t help but wonder if someone of the two is being forced to pay a penalty for the dispute, ultimately resulting in consumer pain. This forum thread is certainly not the only place this is being discussed.

For now, my substitute Firesticks are performing without issue, but I and my family have always been Roku folks. Please stop asking for serial#’s and all the other info. You don’t need it to solve the issue.

0 Kudos
KJD44
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

When this started I immediately recalled the same exact situation that happened last year with the AT&T mobile commercial, does anyone else recall that? The commercial was a Christmas commercial that is why I know it was the same time last year. The commercial would freeze a few seconds in on the image, I recall a purple background and the "buffering circle" was frozen in the center of the screen. This happened every time this commercial aired, which was often, eventually it stopped and the commercial disappeared with it. I don't know if that means anything but the only reason it stopped was because the commercial stopped. Who ever is in charge of the stupid black screen do us a favor and eliminate it.

0 Kudos
KJD44
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It seems to be happening more often, 4 times already today and I haven't been watching much TV, it happened on Bravo and ESPN today. Again this happened last year at the same time so it's apparent this going to be a seasonal gift compliments of ROKU.

0 Kudos
Osufpe

Jump to solution

Same problem with our Roku as well. I'm wondering if it has to do with limiting the bandwidth usage.

0 Kudos
EddieMac24
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Happening here too, mostly watching ESPN on YouTube Tv.  Program goes to commercial, plays a few ads then goes black with 'Ad info' in the corner and stays that way until I back out to the main you tube tv home screen and restart the program/football game.  The program/game is always in progress and no longer on commercial break.  Restart/reinstall makes no difference.

Roku Stick 3600X

SN 5S462A249242

10.5.0 build 4208-24

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide me with the information that I have requested in my previous post?

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jeffreyh51
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Danny.

In this thread alone, six folks have provided you with the info that you have requested...many more in others. This should easily be sufficient to determine the issue on your end, particularly since it is not only a known issue by your folks, but it is also easily duplicated by your engineers.

At this point, continuing to insult those looking for the identical resolve of this issue, by merely copying and posting boilerplate responses and requests, are not only not helpful, but rather serve only to exacerbate the issue with the community.

Instead of continuing to ask for additional redundant information, maybe it would be helpful to provide your loyal customers with an update regarding the research and associated progress that you folks have achieved.

You have made some progress, correct?

Thank you.

PghTechnicol
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This happened again on January 1st. We were watching HGTV live through the YouTube TV channel. This was between 4 and 4:30 PM Eastern during the 2nd commercial break of My Lottery Dream Home. Probably about the 2nd or third ad during the commercial break the ad failed to load and the screen just remained black.

You Tube TV Version 2.21 build 94005571

Issue report tracker

Model: 9101X - Roku Smart Soundbar

Serial number: YLO04Y265523 (R65074265523)

Software version: 10.5.0 build 4210-95

Timestamp: 2022-01-01T21:21:21Z

Please use issue ID 23-001-281 to report the current

0 Kudos
tich00
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a roku TV, two ultras and three streaming stick +. It happens intermittently when watching youtube TV only . It occurs on the sticks and the roku TV on random channels. The issue has never happed on either Ultra if that helps roku tech support at all. very annoying 

0 Kudos