Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeJK
Reel Rookie

Re: Frozen black 'ad info" screen during commercials

Jump to solution

I looked at the limit ad tracking setting and it was already unchecked while having the issue

0 Kudos
jeffreyh51
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The freezing happens whenever there is a commercial with no accompanying content, and only a black screen with the “Ad Info” shown at the top left. As noted in my original note, this does not occur with any of my Ultra units. It happens so frequently, that it has become such an issue for my family, that I have purchased 2 inexpensive Firesticks for now, and on neither of which we have seen the issue.

Reproducing the issue is easy, as all I have to do is turn on the TV, and tune any YouTube TV station that occasionally has no content to fill-in commercial breaks. The issue will eventually occur…sometimes within a minute or two, sometimes an hour or so. In some cases, YouTube TV sometimes fills in with what they call a “Zen Moment“, or a "Commercial Break" screen, and since content is streaming at that time, there is no freeze, nor is there a freeze when an actual commercial is running.

My Sticks don’t have the ad tracking option that you describe.

YouTube TV Version: 2.21 build 94005571

Roku Model#: 3810X

Serial#: YH008U728532 (213998728532)

Software Version: 10.5.0 build 4208-50

Timestamp: 2021-12-19T13:48:35Z

Issue ID: 32-507-708

MikeJK
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My experience has been exactly the same:

- only locking up when the black blank screen with only "Ad Info" in the upper left corner appears

- no issue when they go to "Zen Moment", "Commercial Break" or actual commercial

0 Kudos
James1776
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I noted the black screen was triggered by a Liberty Mutual commercial, which went to black screen leaving the corner ad notice alone...Most annoying. I really do not want to shift to firestick.

jeffreyh51
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Quick update…

As noted in my previous post, I have been using two Firesticks for a while since removing my Roku Streaming Stick + sticks with absolutely none of the issues described. My family is happy, but we all prefer the Rokus due mostly to the simple, streamlined interface, as well as the less obtrusive ads. Picture quality, features, speed, etc. are all comparable, although they miss the fish tank. I’ve been with Roku for a long time, and the issue started some time ago, but has become progressively worse. I really am hesitant to leave.

I tried this morning to reinsert one of the Roku sticks, and the issue was more frequent than ever, to the point that I had to do the backup, switch channel, and go back to original channel 9 times between 8 and 11:30am. Unusable. The worst was CNN, followed by Fox News, and HGTV. That’s as far as I went: Firestick back in.

The problem is evident. On the Firestick, the ad page consistently shows either a Zen Moment, or a page marker (i.e: Commercial break, we’ll be back in a moment), or a real commercial, thereby keeping the feed alive until programming content resumes. On the Roku, the Zen or back in a moment screens rarely appear, although they occasionally do, and resume properly with no freeze. When there is no active content on the ad info screen, it craps out…every time.

This is, in fact, a known issue to Roku, as a simple Google search will show. None of the fixes that have been published either by Roku or by individuals work. Believe me, I’ve tried them all (pretty sure, anyway). If I’ve missed something, I’d sure like to know. I’d also like to know why my two Ultra 4 units don’t exhibit this behavior, although I presume it has something to do with the fact that they are both hardwired via Ethernet, while the sticks are working on WIFI.  2G or 5G doesn’t seem to make any difference, and my Home WIFI is about as strong as it gets. The Roku settings agree that the connections are “excellent” While it seems to be obvious as to what the issue is, a fix is way above my pay grade.

I’ll hang out for a while longer, and continue to use my Ultras, but it’s looking like the sticks are not going to be an efficient answer for me in the long term any longer. That sucks.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@jeffreyh51

Thanks for the post and providing us with the information that we have requested.

I have passed the information along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
PghTechnicol
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue with our Onn Sound bar.  Does not happen with our Ultras.  Have tried all recommended fixes.

0 Kudos
FJM1128

Jump to solution

Same problem on both TVs with Roku devices and YouTube TV. Using hone button 5 times and back button doesn’t work. I’m missing a lot of my shows!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

As stated previously, if you have not already, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Musoka
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

They started collecting info like Danny is asking for on numerous other problems their 10.5 update created THREE MONTHS AGO. Yet still none of the problems have been addressed. Buckle up guys, Roku is a handful of people that don't understand their own product anymore. Broken apps caused by bad firmware and protocols embedded in firmware abound. THREE MONTHS on a thread with like 50 pages of people complaining and they are still playing the hey send us your data game. Roku is no longer to be trusted