Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Free HBO ripoff

Watching Chernobyl and and found that only half of the series was free. After episode 3 you can only advance to a free trial by adding your credit card number. THAT IS NOT FREE, once they get your credit card number you would play **bleep** cancelling the trial. Was thinking about getting i HBO but not now. (I actually love ROKU however) Please do not not use the wordfree so loosely. ..A new car is free as long as you buy wheels, motor etc.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Free HBO ripoff

Obviously your complaint is with HBO, not Roku. But to my understanding many (most?) free trials only offer limited access to the "full menu" so to speak. Most trial software packages are similar, in that not all functions are available until you purchase the software. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

I know, but the ROKU ad said free, not trial

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

@Soda wrote:

I know, but the ROKU ad said free, not trial

Perhaps I'm giving Roku too much leeway here, but it's certainly possible that HBO didn't give them the full details of the offer. Naturally, you could be correct as well. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos