Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Free HBO GO and HBO NOW Promotional Content on Roku?

Jump to solution

free HBOGO and HBONOW but I can't seem to get them on my Roku? I do stream them on my PC and Mac?

Labels (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Free HBO GO and HBO NOW Promotional Content on Roku?

Jump to solution

@praffaele41  Thanks for reaching out! HBO is working on adding support for free content on additional device platforms that they offer their services on. At this time, free content from HBO is available inside 'The Roku Channel' for customers who have subscribed to HBO directly through 'The Roku Channel'. 

For more information and status updates on accessing their promotional free content in the HBO GO or HBO NOW channels, please feel free to contact HBO support here: https://www.hbo.com/about/contact-us

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Free month of HBO access? All I'm getting is a week

Jump to solution

@soxgirl414 You may be clicking on a different promotional tile or area that doesn't link to free content. We're looking into this currently.

Follow these steps to launch 'The Roku Channel' and search for the free content specifically listed in HBO's promotion.

1. Launch The Roku Channel from the Roku home screen. 

2. Hit the up arrow key on your remote to locate the 'Search' tile. 

3. Select the Search tile and then type in the name of the free content you want to watch. 

4. In the results, when you select the show, documentary, etc. you will see an option for 'See all episodes' with the number of free episodes listed next to it. Select this option to go to the series details page and browse available seasons for free content. 

Thanks,

Tanner

22 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Free HBO GO and HBO NOW Promotional Content on Roku?

Jump to solution

@praffaele41  Thanks for reaching out! HBO is working on adding support for free content on additional device platforms that they offer their services on. At this time, free content from HBO is available inside 'The Roku Channel' for customers who have subscribed to HBO directly through 'The Roku Channel'. 

For more information and status updates on accessing their promotional free content in the HBO GO or HBO NOW channels, please feel free to contact HBO support here: https://www.hbo.com/about/contact-us

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Free month of HBO access? All I'm getting is a week

Jump to solution

I just read on the Roku blog that I can get access to HBO series until May 15th. When I look on the Roku channel and pick one of the shows listed on the Roku blog, I get a screen that I have 1 week free and asks me to sign for HBO. That's not what is promised on the Roku blog. 

Here's the link: https://blog.roku.com/free-hbo 

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@soxgirl414  Thanks for reaching out. This refers only to HBO inside 'The Roku Channel' at this time. You'll need to launch 'The Roku Channel' in order to access free HBO content at this time. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

That's what I'm referring to, the blog says its free content until 5/15, but on the Roku channel is says 1 week free and then asks me to sign up for HBO for 14.99.

Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@soxgirl414 You may be clicking on a different promotional tile or area that doesn't link to free content. We're looking into this currently.

Follow these steps to launch 'The Roku Channel' and search for the free content specifically listed in HBO's promotion.

1. Launch The Roku Channel from the Roku home screen. 

2. Hit the up arrow key on your remote to locate the 'Search' tile. 

3. Select the Search tile and then type in the name of the free content you want to watch. 

4. In the results, when you select the show, documentary, etc. you will see an option for 'See all episodes' with the number of free episodes listed next to it. Select this option to go to the series details page and browse available seasons for free content. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

HBO is all free until May, why does Roku still say only a 7 day free trial

Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Klas2244 Viewing the limited free promotional content in HBO does not require signing up for a free trial. Free trials are a separate, standard promotion that are valid for 7 days of free access to the entire HBO channel. 

You can check out HBO's website for a list of the content they are currently offering free access to, and use the steps mentioned previously to access that content inside The Roku Channel without signing up for a free trial. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This worked for HBO. Thanks!!

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

That's a lot of steps to watch dated content. I added the HBO Now channel like most others only to find the same 7 day trial thing. It's amazing that HBO didn't make it available through the Now channel in the first place since Roku is the largest streaming platform of any. They offer it on Apple TV and Android apps, but who wants to watch it on a phone? I'm a movie buff so all I'm interested in is the films, though I do like Curb and Veep. 

Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.