Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SEC1078
Level 8

Fox New App requiring re-authentication every 2 or 3 mintues

Every since yesterday 08-30-2020 the Fox News App plays for a couple minutes then exits saying the free preview has expired. I then re-enter the code and user + pw and it begins playing again for another couple minutes.

I don't know if this happening to others or if its only happening with Fox News.

Maybe Roku hired someone from Google and they have updated the algorithm...

[post edited]

17 REPLIES 17\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Fox New App requiring re-authentication every 2 or 3 mintues

Don't blame Roku, they didn't create the channel. Contact Fox and tell them their latest channel update is failing to retain authentication. Doesn't happen with any channel I have that requires authentication. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Steve12
Level 7

That is true, however I have the same problem when I am using the 3810X Roku Streaming Stick + running 9.3.0 build 4194-50.  However, when I load it on my TCL 49S403 Roku TV 7104X running 9.3.0 build 4194-30 it runs fine.

There does appear to be a difference in the way the app functions between the -30 and -50 versions of Roku firmware.

0 Kudos
SEC1078
Level 8

I installed the newest ROKU TV firmware; started the Fox News app; entered my user credentials and was NOT asked again to re-enter.

Its looks like you were wrong "ROKU DAN"! It obviously is/was a ROKU issue or it wouldn't have started working again by getting the latest TV firmware.

Just like it was a ROKU issue that caused the sound to be lost in the FOX NEWS app a couple months ago.

atc98092

@SEC1078 wrote:

I installed the newest ROKU TV firmware; started the Fox News app; entered my user credentials and was NOT asked again to re-enter.

Its looks like you were wrong "ROKU DAN"! It obviously is/was a ROKU issue or it wouldn't have started working again by getting the latest TV firmware.

Just like it was a ROKU issue that caused the sound to be lost in the FOX NEWS app a couple months ago.

And it also might just have been a coincidence, but I'm happy for you that it's working. And I don't work for Roku, otherwise I'd have one of those special user names. 

Dan

0 Kudos
oldbreezy
Level 9

I just started having the same issue today, after having the sound issue previously.  Seems like when enough of us complain to Roku, it gets fixed...odd that it only seems to affect Fox News though isn't it?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@oldbreezy 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
streaming-fan
Level 7

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Fox News App and that didn't fix it. I went to see if I could upgrade the Roku firmware and it said it was already at the current version. Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@streaming-fan wrote:

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Fox News App and that didn't fix it. I went to see if I could upgrade the Roku firmware and it said it was already at the current version. Any other ideas?

When you removed the channel, did you reboot the Roku? That means either pulling the power or using the menu option for a system restart. If you didn't, it wasn't really removed. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Steve12
Level 7

Congrats SEC1078, this seems to have worked for me.

Just deleting, rebooting, and adding Fox News did NOT work.

Deleting the Fox News app followed by performing the forced update per your instructions through the "Secret Screen"  did the trick. . . at least so far ;-)

As an FYI the firmware it installed looked exactly the same as the firmware that was already on it.  Also note that my update server is Beta 2.

0 Kudos