Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robman501a
Level 7

Fluctuating audio levels with Netflix

Hey folks, 
Just wondering what's going on here. I've got my Roku stick connected directly to the HDMI port on my home theater receiver and when I'm watching Netflix content (Netflix Canada) the voices are so quiet that I have to crank the volume in order to hear it but when there is music or any other sound, it's so loud that it will blast you right of you seat. 
Any idea on why the volume fluctuates like that? Is there a way to level it off?

Roku Streaming Stick 
Model 3600CA
Own 2x Roku Streaming Stick (Model 3600X) connected to the home theater receivers HDMI port
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Fluctuating audio levels with Netflix

Does your home theater have a center channel speaker?

I'm guessing your home theater speakers have not been volume calibrated properly.. The dialog that should be coming out of the center channel.speaker is either too quiet, or you have it configured for a center speaker that doesn't exist. Or, you have it configured with the wrong type of sound/emulation.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
robman501a
Level 7

Yes it's a 5.1 system and it does have a center speaker. Depending on the audio I usually have it on Dolby 5.1 or All channels stereo (or ext. stereo) depending on the model. I keep the center speaker on +12 (max) for the volume.

I think my Roku stick is set to Auto for the audio.
Own 2x Roku Streaming Stick (Model 3600X) connected to the home theater receivers HDMI port
0 Kudos
richeydog
Level 7

The sound fluctuates because of how the sound is encoded. I believe the term is called dynamic range. Same thing happens when you're at the movie theater.

If you're having trouble hearing the quiet moments from your center speaker(since it's turned up to +12) you may need to re-position it. Where is it located? On top of an entertainment center? Under the tv in an enclosed shelf? It should be in an open space and pointed directly at your ear level for best results. And if re-positioning doesn't help you may want to consider getting a new center speaker that is clearer and more intelligible.

Also, your receiver may have a setting to compress the dynamic range so that the quietest and loudest parts are closer to each other.

What home theater receiver and speakers do you have?
0 Kudos
robman501a
Level 7

I've got an Onkyo HT-R391 system http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/ht-s3500_manual_e.pdf
0 Kudos
richeydog
Level 7

Page 47 of the manual there's a "Late Night" setting. Enable that feature(toggle between low and high) and play a scene in a movie that goes from quiet to loud.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

On my Pioneer Elite AVR, I find that even after its built-in MCACC caliibration, I need to manually adjust the left/right speakers down and the center up to make up for content (music, explosions, etc.) on many movies. Mine are fairly close together, too, which doesn't help.  I swapped out the center speaker I had for a Polk Audio CS10 (about $100 now) model. Made a big difference.
0 Kudos
robman501a
Level 7

I've got the same issue with my Pioneer receiver to. I personally think those speakers aren't the best.
0 Kudos