Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QUINTISON
Level 7

Fixing FandangoNOW and the lack of a toslink out on the ROKU ultra

As a long time roku user I'd like to get the FandangoNOW ultra channel on earlier ROKU units in theory ALL that you have to do is install the channel -keeping in mind that the roku units have been doing Vudu and then I'd disable the home movie and tv store so the modern channel would take over no need to swap out the home movie and tv tabs just turn it off and install a channel instead!

As all headsets from astro,turtle beach and triniton all depend on optical for 5/7.1 surround sound and using an extraction hdmi switch with my Xbox provided poor results vs out from the Xbox to my 4-2 toslink selector i expect movies would be the same better to provide toslink out on all the ROKU players until the headsets are hdmi pass through to the tv I expect toslink out of my ROKU players being used with $300+ surround headphones and the ultra shouldn't be without a toslink out!
0 Kudos
9 Replies

Re: Fixing FandangoNOW and the lack of a toslink out on the ROKU ultra

Sure. Why not?
0 Kudos
theuser86
Level 7

Toslink Optical is from 1983, this is 2019 - maybe every Roku should have composite out as well. I still have a $4000 tube TV, Roku should support it lol
0 Kudos
QUINTISON
Level 7

If you have read the post the complaint was that even in 2020 $300+ 5/7.1 wireless surround sound headphones still use the toslink out and until such time as a headset with HDMI in and hdmi out is available it's still the best option!  An extracted toslink out from a hdmi selector switch is a poor job i tried to get the same results as a real toslink out on my Xbox one didn't happen.... If you have a $300+ wireless surround sound headphones not a soundbar or receiver  than you know what I'm talking about.
0 Kudos
QUINTISON
Level 7

Hopefully they update the FandangoNOW channel to all ROKU players because they have :Google play,Amazon prime,Vudu and the old FandangoNOW movies and tv store so just add the FandangoNOW channel to just added section of the channel store and turn off the movies and tv store under home easy to do.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Well, Roku has removed the optical out from all players. The Ultra 4640 was the last Roku player with optical. None of the Amazon Fire TV products appear to have an optical out. 
That said, my Sharp Roku TV has an optical out, so that's another option, abet pricier. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
QUINTISON
Level 7

Just got a roku ultra 4640 and was surprised that it lacked the tv control and modern FandangoNOW channel like the ultra without a toslink out has i thought that the roku ultra line would have the same feature set up within the graphic user interface!

Both of the ultra's i have are supposed to have a quad core processor and support high dynamic range 4K so why would the 4640 have the older roku's FandangoNOW movie and tv store and not even control the tv power and volume?  Very happy to have 3 ROKU players that do 4K and optical 2-roku 4's and the 4640 ultra which is hdr capable...it's not that I don't like the newest version but clearly there's room for the optical out ROKU just got cheap and dropped it despite the fact that the headphones still use it for everything!
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 10

Roku's without the Fandango along the side menu are ones sold at walmart, they don't want to give competitor an edge. So on walmart rokus fandango is just app like all other apps. I have stick + and premiere from walmart like this.
0 Kudos
QUINTISON
Level 7

The weird thing is just like older roku's my 4640 has FandangoNOW on the side just like the roku 2,3 and 4 before it  and not as an app/channel like the newest ultra has! 

Too bad all the surround sound headphones still use the toslink out and not hdmi in and pass out to the tv then you could have a optical free ROKU but so many people are using the pro headsets you'd think it would always be there for the complete control over everything!
0 Kudos
QUINTISON
Level 7

My ultra without toslink out has a vudu button on the remote control even though I bought it from Amazon FandangoNOW channel is there in the channel store not just on the side.
0 Kudos