Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

Yes - there's a greater aspect to this.

I own 2 roku tvs. When the time comes, i won't buy again. 

Highlighted
Level 9

The argument that a person bought a Roku TV, or other smart TV and then doesn't want to buy "another" device doesn't make much sense.

When it comes time to upgrade because Roku, or Samsung, or whoever no longer supports that TV or OS, will you buy another one?  Or, if the picture is still good, will you just buy the $50 streaming device to plug into it and be instantly upgraded?

You can have the Roku TV and buy the $50 android TV box and have the best of 66% of the market (Apple taking another 1/3).

Highlighted
Level 9

Yup.....I received my $30 Chromecast yesterday.   It took me 10 minutes to set up.   I now have HBO Max and Peacock.   (Currently watching Psych the Movie).   So worth it.

Highlighted
Level 7

I’m definitely looking to switch myself, my parents houses, and my sisters family away from Roku. It’s been great from a hardware perspective. The software has been clunky but serviceable. But not carrying major channels who are big enough not to bow to draconian demands only hurts the consumer. Obviously they care way more about making money than providing a service. They can and should focus on both, but focusing solely on profit at the expense of service isn’t a good business model for a company who’s main purpose to be your sole hardware portal to reach all of your services. If they cannot achieve this goal, there are plenty of others who can. 

Highlighted
Level 8

My niece's TV came with Android TV built in.

She ended up attaching an AppleTV to it, because she finds Android TV impossible to add channels to. Also, she's Apple all the way -- Macbook Pro, iPhone, iPad....

Your statistic is a bit misleading -- Android has a huge percentage of the SmartPhone market. When it comes to Smart TVs, Android TV only has 10% of the market -- less than either WebOS or Tizen.

A different article, from The Motley Fool, gives Roku TV a one-third of all Smart TVs sold -- in the US. But it also cautions that a large part of Roku TV's popularity comes from the brands it's a part of, especially TCL with its extravagantly-praised (by almost every television reviewer and testing lab out there!) and modestly-priced line of Ultra-High Definition (UHD) TVs with High Dynamic Range (HDR) across all its "4K" line. The article further warns Roku that it could lose all that growth in a hurry if it's not more responsive to both its Television partners, like TCL, and it customer base, like us....

The Motley Fool article uses TiVO as a case study. I still use TiVOs because I far prefer them to the utterly-huge-pile-of-**bleep** Scientific Atlanta DVRs cable companies rent you (I've cut the cord at my office, but not at home because my wife still wants to channel-surf), but as I said elsewhere I'm also something of a tech geek who still uses a Chromecast, where none of the other people I gave them to as Christmas gifts still do!

Cable Companies are legally required to support third-party DVRs like TiVOs, but they make it as hard as legally possible for "normies" to do so, with Cable Cards that come with instructions that are virtually impossible for inexperienced users to translate, and woefully obsolete "Digital Tuning Adapters" that have to be turned off and switched back on on an irregular but frequent basis! They are the reason why so many of us have walked away from cable completely -- as has been said elsewhere in this thread, a lesson Roku needs to consider.

Highlighted
Level 8

@Infensus wrote:

When it comes time to upgrade because Roku, or Samsung, or whoever no longer supports that TV or OS, will you buy another one?  Or, if the picture is still good, will you just buy the $50 streaming device to plug into it and be instantly upgraded?

That depends on whether I can afford to upgrade, bonebrain. Usually I'll keep what already works, tell the company that expects me to throw away a perfectly good device (that only lost any functionality because they decided to stop supporting it in order to force me to spend money I can't afford to spend) to go f--- themselves, and find something else to do with what I have. 

Highlighted
Level 9

@akbennyewu wrote:

Hi Danny,

We are all very, very aware your company's product doesn't support modern streaming apps. 

Please feel free to post a solution to resolve our problem TODAY, and not just inform us that you are going to report it to your team. Who at Roku doesn't know this happening? 

I have a solution that solves the problem TODAY; go buy a Chromecast. 

I'm assuming by "modern streaming apps", you're referring to Peacock?  Because HBOMax is NOT a modern streaming app.  No 4K at launch, no Dolby Atmos, etc.  It's almost as if Warner/AT&T thought, "Our customers have been paying us a crapload of money for **bleep** cable...they won't notice", and then vomited out HBOMax.  But you have to be talking about Peacock, because to call HBOMax a modern streaming app is laughable.

Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Since HBO Max and Peacock TV are unavailable on Roku - thinking it's time for a new device

@bknabe wrote:

@Infensus wrote:

People - this is a non fight. It’s not like a cable provider fight where there is only one provider in town. 

get an android TV and move on. Problem solved and Roku loses customers. 

stop stressing over a non-issue. 

It used to be that there were more than one cable company in most places. 

Where have you seen this? I’m in NYC area and we never had more than one cable company for decades. 

around 10-15 years ago FIOS came to the area, but not everywhere. They just rolled out to the most densely populated areas. 

Only attempt at competition is Dish/DirecTV which don’t offer Internet other than non-competitive DSL lines. 

Cable companies have enjoyed near monopolies everywhere. 

Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Since HBO Max and Peacock TV are unavailable on Roku - thinking it's time for a new device

@Infensus wrote:

@bknabe wrote:

@Infensus wrote:

People - this is a non fight. It’s not like a cable provider fight where there is only one provider in town. 

get an android TV and move on. Problem solved and Roku loses customers. 

stop stressing over a non-issue. 

It used to be that there were more than one cable company in most places. 

Where have you seen this? I’m in NYC area and we never had more than one cable company for decades. 

around 10-15 years ago FIOS came to the area, but not everywhere. They just rolled out to the most densely populated areas. 

Only attempt at competition is Dish/DirecTV which don’t offer Internet other than non-competitive DSL lines. 

Cable companies have enjoyed near monopolies everywhere. 

Yes, I am talking about ancient history in most places (we still have multiple options here, but we are the rare case). But you're making my point. There used to be options. Now the two biggest cable companies are aiming at streaming. It is only a matter of time if people let it happen.

Highlighted
Level 7

Peacock & HBOMAX

I own a Roku TV and 2 Roku devices for streaming.  I am appalled that I CANNOT stream either Peacock or HBOMAX.  It will drastically alter my future purchases of Roku.  

This is nothing but a money grab of a large company to force customers to use services they approve and force the comsumer to pay more for services.  

My Roku devices will go in the drawer and not be used again.  Also it will greatly reduce use of my Roku TCL TV.

Donald

Stillwater, OK