Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Since HBO Max and Peacock TV are unavailable on Roku - thinking it's time for a new device

@Paddypods wrote:

And the gatekeeping continues.

Here's an article I ran across today that suggests exactly what I've been saying since the launch of HBO Max:

https://www.vulture.com/2020/07/why-peacock-isnt-on-roku.html

Specifically this paragraph:

"Industry insiders familiar with the situation say NBCU actually isn’t refusing to compensate Roku (or Amazon) for being on those platforms. Its objections have been focused on not wanting to give up control of its advertising inventory and user experience."

I'm fully on board with NBC being able to control the advertising in the two lower Peacock TV tiers. It is, after all, NBC/Universal programming. And as a subscriber, I appreciate the user interface that comes from most of my streaming apps. I have no interest in combining my eight services into one through a Roku Channel or Prime Video Channels. I subscribe to Peacock TV and HBO Max, and the Roku hardware is not supporting my choices. Roku has now officially proven to me that the company has become a gatekeeper, the same way my old cable company decided what broadcast content I could and could not get.

Roku used to supply hardware with an operating system. I would never accept having Hewlett Packard decide which Windows-based software I could install on my desktop.

Which is why I made the decision to replace my dumb living room TV with a smart TV that does not include Roku.

I would focus on this paragraph:

• These battles will shape the fate of companies vying to rule television's future, but they'll also affect how many services you have to use and pay for to watch your favorite TV and movies. And the standoffs pitting distribution companies like Roku and Amazon against streaming services like Comcast's Peacock and AT&T's HBO Max can hamstring viewers hoping to watch on some of their favorite devices. 

This is a battle for who controls streaming. I expect that if ATT/NBC win we will see one or both coming out with a streaming device of their own, and that's when things will get really **bleep**ty.

Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Since HBO Max and Peacock TV are unavailable on Roku - thinking it's time for a new device

People - this is a non fight. It’s not like a cable provider fight where there is only one provider in town. 

get an android TV and move on. Problem solved and Roku loses customers. 

stop stressing over a non-issue. 

Highlighted
Level 11

@Infensus wrote:

People - this is a non fight. It’s not like a cable provider fight where there is only one provider in town. 

get an android TV and move on. Problem solved and Roku loses customers. 

stop stressing over a non-issue. 

It used to be that there were more than one cable company in most places. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

Don't forget Android TV - Nvidia Shield TV owner here; happy I'm able to enjoy both on it since my other devices (Roku) don't have it!

Highlighted
Level 8

The "non" issue is that Roku is what my UHD TV comes with -- and being fed up that I may need to buy another device.

Also, this board has the salutory effect of letting Roku know we're displeased -- so maybe, I shouldn't jump on you too hard, given you've just said, "Go Android Instead!"...which should send a chill down Roku's spine....

Highlighted
Level 8

@Bristol wrote:

Just got my $30 Chromecast.    Watching Peacock now, next is HBO Max.   So there Roku😝

Yeah, about the Chromecast -- I love mine, and I bought them for Christmas three years back for all my friends.

To date, I am the only person I know who still uses it, because it's "Too Hard" for most normies. (Beats me why that's the case, because I found it quite easy to use -- but when I explain it to my friends, I'd have better luck if I came with subtitles!)

That was what was so great about Roku -- it had all the channels you wanted, and you just clicked on them right on the screen. Too bad they're playing money games with Peacock and HBO Max...

Highlighted
Level 10

@bknabe wrote:

@Paddypods wrote:

And the gatekeeping continues.

Here's an article I ran across today that suggests exactly what I've been saying since the launch of HBO Max:

https://www.vulture.com/2020/07/why-peacock-isnt-on-roku.html

Specifically this paragraph:

"Industry insiders familiar with the situation say NBCU actually isn’t refusing to compensate Roku (or Amazon) for being on those platforms. Its objections have been focused on not wanting to give up control of its advertising inventory and user experience."

I would focus on this paragraph:

• These battles will shape the fate of companies vying to rule television's future, but they'll also affect how many services you have to use and pay for to watch your favorite TV and movies. And the standoffs pitting distribution companies like Roku and Amazon against streaming services like Comcast's Peacock and AT&T's HBO Max can hamstring viewers hoping to watch on some of their favorite devices. 

This is a battle for who controls streaming. I expect that if ATT/NBC win we will see one or both coming out with a streaming device of their own, and that's when things will get really **bleep**ty.

Thanks for your input. Personally, I like having multiple separate services that cost little per month. I now pay for seven subscriptions, including my live TV service. (Service #8 is HBO Max, which is included with my live TV subscription.) When I add up the costs, I am now approaching the cost of my old cable TV service, but I have so much more content and much more freedom (including being able to stream my live TV recordings anywhere I travel in the US). I believe that competition is a good thing, that it helps keep costs low for consumers. 

By the way, AT&T does offer a streaming device called AT&T TV. As a consumer, I have chosen not to purchase one, even though my live TV service is AT&T TV Now. The Now app is available on multiple devices, and I do not wish to get stuck with a service-driven device in the event I decide to switch services. That's my choice. Roku is moving toward becoming a service-driven device instead of remaining open to the many choices it has offered in the past.

Highlighted
Level 8

So I'm thinking about Maya Angelou's quote about "When someone shows you who they are, believe them."  Roku is showing us who they are and where they're going.  We should believe them. They are marking all these threads as "solved" because they are.  They are not going to offer either HBOMax or Peacock until they're able to get their hooks into it, and force you to subscribe through them.  If you care, it's time to move to different streaming hardware.  For me, it will be Apple TV, which I actually don't love (I personally hate talking to hardware, and I definitely don't trust Siri/Alexa etc), and who have had their issues in the past (Hello, Youtube!).  It's sad that there isn't anything out there like the old Roku, but here we are.

Highlighted

Is there any news on a deal?

I'm tired of having to stream hbo max and now peacock from my laptop with an hdmi set up. I bought a roku tv to have everything built in. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Great note, but it is worse than this. Roku promised both users and Wall Street that they would be the "go to" streaming service, and carry everything. I guess their stock price has gone to their heads, but I can promise you it won't stay there if they keep this up. I own three Roku TVs but won't be buying another.