Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Where's Peacock and HBO Max?

Roku built it's name on a platform with the broadest app selection.   However, now Roku isn't supporting MAJOR new apps - namely, HBO Max and newly released Peacock.  You seem to be going down the same path of other streaming platforms that I have left.  Maybe it's time to stop being such a fan of Roku.

Highlighted

Re: Roku either adds Peacock or lose me as a customer/promoter

I am getting Google Chromecast for the whopping price of $30, or if I want some upgrades, $70. I have to use my phone with it, which Roku assumes is a deal breaker but it doesn't sound that bad. I'm going to need to unplug my Roku from its HDMI port to use for Chromecast. Assuming I don't find benefits with Chromecast that make me never look back I can always plug the Roku back in once they straighten things out. This is my strategy, it's only gonna cost, at most $70, it'll be good to have a backup. Telling me to call HBO directly and not my cable company was kind of the cherry on top of an awful response. And not one empathy statement. 

Highlighted
Level 7

As far as I am concerned, Noku has a history of dispicable business practices  In my case, this dates back to their inability to maintain the SlingPlayer App, even as they were advertising in prominently on the Noku site itself.  As far as I am concerned, advertising something is an implicit contract to support that product for a reasonable length of time.  Fire TV supports SlingPlayer, Noku does not.  And they dropped support wothout notice, poof.

In my view Noku has no technology and no value, just a Broadcom chip and memory in a plastic box.  They are a leach trying to profit off my subscription to HBO.  I have as much sympathy for their position as I would for a PC maker trying to charge for me to run an application on my PC.  I paid for their platform, but it's not a platform, it's an excuse for disgraceful business practices.  I thought they would be an honest, neutral platform, but they are the bottom feeder of the industry.

Highlighted
Level 11

@NokuFooYou wrote:

As far as I am concerned, Noku has a history of dispicable business practices  In my case, this dates back to their inability to maintain the SlingPlayer App, even as they were advertising in prominently on the Noku site itself.  As far as I am concerned, advertising something is an implicit contract to support that product for a reasonable length of time.  Fire TV supports SlingPlayer, Noku does not.  And they dropped support wothout notice, poof.

In my view Noku has no technology and no value, just a Broadcom chip and memory in a plastic box.  They are a leach trying to profit off my subscription to HBO.  I have as much sympathy for their position as I would for a PC maker trying to charge for me to run an application on my PC.  I paid for their platform, but it's not a platform, it's an excuse for disgraceful business practices.  I thought they would be an honest, neutral platform, but they are the bottom feeder of the industry.

From what I can tell from an admittedly brief google search, it looks like Roku made some changes to the platform that effected multiple apps, and Slingbox was one that decided not to make changes in order to stay on Roku. It also appears that for about a 10 month period around that time they went dark and didn't respond to queries from their customers. 

And if you're really complaining about despicable business practices, you need to do some research on Warner and Comcast.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Where's Peacock and HBO Max?

Where did you find that source?!? 
ive been reading the CNET articles for weeks asking about Peacock.  
In 2008, Netflix was using mail service. Netflix dude got with the Roku dude. Because the Roku guy had the first TiVo, so they got together to bring a small affordable box to your tv that would stream video on demand. Launched in 2007. Now Netflix and chill is pop culture vocabulary as a result of this success. 

in the meantime Hulu went on the Internet for phones and computers as a beta version. Then Hulu went to Roku to stream on Roku platform. 
Then it got super popular. Roku was the best for streaming devices, because it was an unknown and not connected to any other service. Chrome cast was a google product, Firestick was Amazon... it was kinda confusing for people that didn’t understand WiFi streaming. (A lot of them still don’t)

Then Hulu offered live tv and movies and that kinda one upped Netflix. And it became the greatest thing for tv ever(in my opinion)

Hulu is owned by Disney. Hulu is doing so great... but NO not enough.. let’s make a Disney channel and they’ll pay more!! Disney is partners with NBC universal under the Comcast umbrella.. so they said NO , HULU is bringing in billions, Disney.. they will pay billions!! MORE!! Let’s make Peacock ( which basically has 80% library that Hulu already has) so they can get more. 

So when Roku met with Peacocks the SAME companies that have been on Roku for a decade , not just don’t want to pay Roku... they want ROKU TO PAY THEM to be on Roku. 
Ridiculous. 
roku devices in every homes, smart TVs.. 

I guess they’re gonna have to make a peacock tv 

I don’t know 

Highlighted
Level 12

@NokuFooYou wrote:

Roku never maintained a SlingPlayer app.  If you look carefully when installing an app, the Roku Streaming Store states the name of the company publishing/maintaining the app.  There are three apps that Roku themselves directly published: The Roku Channel, Roku Media Player, Roku Tips & Tricks.  The SlingPlayer app was published and maintained by a different company that selected to stop providing it for Roku.

In terms of advertising something the product no longer provides, I agree that is frustrating.  Once you find a company that never does that, let me know.  As far as the Amazon Fire TV products, they continued to advertise their products as having a YouTube app even during the time period they had been banned.  In fact, their customers lost access to YouTube due to actions by Amazon themselves (banning Chromecast and Nest products from Amazon).  Google had warned them for months that access to YouTube would be removed before doing so.  Despite the warning, Amazon never changed what their fraudulent claims of what the product provided even when Amazon's own knowledgebase admitted YouTube was not available.  So, based on your own criteria, it appears Fire TV is out as well.

As to the Broadcom processor used in previous Roku devices and other ARM processors used in current Roku products, these are just as capable (if not more so) than the MediaTek processor in the Fire TV stick.  Once you add on top of Foxconn's processor used by the Fire stick that Fire OS is more bloated and heavy weight than Roku OS, it just doesn't feel as polished a product as Roku.

As to your claim Roku is leach subscriptions from HBO, can you please provide citations to your sources?  This seems to be a frequently reiterated claim by newly created Roku community forum account much like your own created on "07-31-2020."  It might make the claim seem a little less like a misinformation campaign if there was a credible source stated.

Highlighted
Level 7

Another Lost Customer

This is ridiculous.  I have been an HBO subscriber for over 30 years.  I bought a Roku Ultra to stream MY selection of channels for MY entertainment choices.  Now this standoff between Roku and HBO is interfering with my ability as a Customer to enjoy what I paid for.

Roku, be on notice - read this thread: you are about to lose significant market-share IF YOU DO NOT IMMEDIATELY SIGN A DEAL TO GET HBO AND OTHER SERVICES BACK ON.  I have already researched how to get back to my regular viewing habits using a Chromebox.  You have about 1 Week before I add Roku to my 'Junk: Never Purchase Or Use Again' list.

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

I got 2 Tivo4Ks and love it!! I have HBO max and I have turned off my Rokus. 

Highlighted
Level 8

@Yourselves6 wrote:

Hahahaha

Get **bleep**ed Roku

😂🤣😂 Short, sweet & to the point! 👏

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

I am in the same boat as all other responders; I believe Roku has overestimated their value to the point of potential mass exodus of their customers. I have waited for them to make this right...for their customers. Bit, no dice.

I bought a TiVo Stream 4k a couple of days ago to see if it was a viable option. I even purchased the Ethernet adapter so I don’t have to rely on my, sometimes, spotty WiFi connection. It works like a champ, and has vetted out to be a very viable alternative to Roku. I don’t want to leave Roku, but I can’t justify staying when they are getting so greedy that it affects what I use them for. I actually sent them an email expressing my frustration and informing them that they have until the end of August to get the new apps on their platform or they lose a long standing customer for the foreseeable future. I got a canned response that didn’t reference any of my stated concerns and informing me that my case is closed. Perhaps they don’t care about the customer after all.

0 Kudos