Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible


@atreynolds wrote:

I get that you can do this, but this whole thread is about NOT being required to buy an alternate device to get what should be there in the first place. Of course you can cast to your TV if you buy a Chromecast. However, we have Roku devices that we already paid money for, or Roku-based TVs for which the entire reason for buying them was because it was Roku.


       Maybe the point is many people feel that they can no longer trust Roku. 

Highlighted
Level 12

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

".......... May I add here- although Peacock is not yet available on Roku, NBC Universal still has the NBC streaming app on Roku, If you go to that, It has a category called Explore Peacock:A New Streaming Service and then it has some of the trailers of some of the new programs on Peacock. And you can still stream Peacock on your iPad, and your computer or even your IPhone if you have one. ..........."

I bought a Chromecast WAY BEFORE I bought my first Roku.  I wanted to store my apps on a separate device from my smartphones' very limited space for any apps was the only reason why I bought that Roku in the first place.  I did not want to side load, top load, bottom load, or any which way else to install apps than simply select what I want and watch without jumping through hoops.  Hence the first Roku device purchase. 

I do admit that there were issues about Roku's way of doing business I did not care for (like keeping a credit/debit card on file online).  I learn to put up with it-though only to a point.  I don't think that I am far from the only person here that feels this way.  We all have our breaking points when the only thing left to say is to bid someone else adieu at the end of the day and vote with our feet or fingers.

Highlighted
Level 9

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible


@Iona-D wrote:

".......... May I add here- although Peacock is not yet available on Roku, NBC Universal still has the NBC streaming app on Roku, If you go to that, It has a category called Explore Peacock:A New Streaming Service and then it has some of the trailers of some of the new programs on Peacock. And you can still stream Peacock on your iPad, and your computer or even your IPhone if you have one. ..........."

I bought a Chromecast WAY BEFORE I bought my first Roku.  I wanted to store my apps on a separate device from my smartphones' very limited space for any apps was the only reason why I bought that Roku in the first place.  I did not want to side load, top load, bottom load, or any which way else to install apps than simply select what I want and watch without jumping through hoops.  Hence the first Roku device purchase. 

I do admit that there were issues about Roku's way of doing business I did not care for (like keeping a credit/debit card on file online).  I learn to put up with it-though only to a point.  I don't think that I am far from the only person here that feels this way.  We all have our breaking points when the only thing left to say is to bid someone else adieu at the end of the day and vote with our feet or fingers.


Switch your Roku account to PayPal and they don’t have your CC info. 

You can also get a TiVo android box, Xiaomi, Mi Box, Apple TV, etc. 

Many options out there, no need to feel trapped with Roku.

 

Highlighted
Level 12

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

I think this article is timely. Esp this quote.

'Roku should have provided some assurances to its customers that these blackout tactics were an extremely rare last resort. Instead, it has shown that they will be quite common. Those who care about having the broadest possible app selection with the fewest number of service disruptions might want to start looking elsewhere for their streaming device needs. Google and Apple seem happy to oblige.'

https://www.techhive.com/article/3568168/rokus-neutral-platform-days-are-over.html

 

Highlighted

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

And the value proposition of a Roku branded smart TV over a more traditional one is it's supposed to be supported instead of new apps not coming to it & old ones stopping working one-by-one.

Highlighted
Level 10

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible


@shelleyp wrote:

I think this article is timely. Esp this quote.

'Roku should have provided some assurances to its customers that these blackout tactics were an extremely rare last resort. Instead, it has shown that they will be quite common. Those who care about having the broadest possible app selection with the fewest number of service disruptions might want to start looking elsewhere for their streaming device needs. Google and Apple seem happy to oblige.'

https://www.techhive.com/article/3568168/rokus-neutral-platform-days-are-over.html

 


This paragraph is the one that jumped out at me, because I've been arguing for weeks in the HBO Max threads that Roku has changed its business model, while others have disagreed:

"These disputes are happening precisely because Roku isn’t being neutral anymore. Instead, it’s competing with publishers through its own ad-supported app and pressuring them to participate in its own subscription marketplace. Roku is only neutral in the narrow sense that it doesn’t make its own content, though the company has reportedly kicked the tires on that as well."

Highlighted
Level 11

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible


@C_I wrote:

@atreynolds wrote:

I get that you can do this, but this whole thread is about NOT being required to buy an alternate device to get what should be there in the first place. Of course you can cast to your TV if you buy a Chromecast. However, we have Roku devices that we already paid money for, or Roku-based TVs for which the entire reason for buying them was because it was Roku.


       Maybe the point is many people feel that they can no longer trust Roku. 


To be honest I bought Roku because I had dumb TV's and smart TV's that did not allow adding new apps - so I couldn't even add Hulu whether or not I wanted to. This temporary fight with HBO and Peacock is just the way entertainment has always been done, and if you want Roku to continue working, they were going to have to start playing one way or another eventually. If they thought they wouldn't that would be the thing that said "get out, get out now" to me. Because that means they do not understand the business and are likely to never make money. They were able to disrupt cable by giving us what we want - the ability to choose only the channels we want - but that doesn't change the way the content providers deal with the distributors. If Roku did not realize that there is a real chance they won't survive, even if nobody jumps ship because of the current bruhaha.

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

I love my ROKU and Bought it specifically for channels like Peacock and HBO Max, I'm giving them till the end of the year to get it S#!T together or I'm going elsewhere. Hey ROKU, You are CONSUMER PRODUCT. PUT YOUR CONSUMERS FIRST!!!!!

Highlighted
Level 7

Way To Sellout, Roku

Put your customers first, and the revenue will follow. 

The HBO Max and Peacock issue is utterly ridiculous. 

Because of GREED, you’re losing what made you great: being a neutral platform making streaming apps accessible. 

If this is all for marketing...it’s not a very good strategy. Sure, it’s a trending topic, but I can guarantee your user-base will drastically decline if you keep up this behavior. Grow up. Commit to who you set out to be and stop letting money get in the way. Be innovative and think of new ways to make up the revenue. I’m sure there are a few smart execs up there with some ideas. Let them speak and maybe take notes. 

I’ve recommended your devices and TVs to so many and have enjoyed them for years. But I have a feeling I’m not alone when I say I won’t think twice about cutting the cord if this trend continues.

Set out to be the best streaming device (as you used to) and stop trying to take a piece of someone else’s cake (actual content creators). 

I know this post won’t make it out of moderation, but whatever. I can only hope that the extreme increase in disallowed posts will send a message to the greedy folks at the top. 

I do not want or need a scripted response from a moderator only doing their job. I just want this message to be sent up with the hundreds of others that I’m sure are coming in.

Soon there wont be any point in having a Roku since it’s main selling point is dissolving before our eyes.

Again, grow up. 

Sincerely,

(Soon-to-be Formerly) Pissed Off Long-time Loyal Customer

Highlighted
Level 8

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible


@Ace_of_Sevens wrote:

And the value proposition of a Roku branded smart TV over a more traditional one is it's supposed to be supported instead of new apps not coming to it & old ones stopping working one-by-one.


Also the integration of the OS into the hardware. Streams should look better on a Roku TV than using an outside box/stick because it should all work together seamlessly.

Having to buy 2-3 different streaming sticks/devices to get every streaming service you pay your hard-earned money to view isn't logical or cost-efficient. People vote with their wallets. They want to watch HBO Max and/or Peacock. Roku's executives shouldn't hold their user base hostage because of some selfish, greedy power play.