Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottcarrick
Level 7

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

Jump to solution

Now NBC is going to pull all of their apps/content from Roku because of the Peacock dispute. And nothing new on the HBO Max front either. I've patient with Roku long enough. Going to have to dump them and purchase an Apple TV. 

0 Kudos
gadlaw
Level 9

Jump to solution

That'll show em! I already have both. When there's a video I want to throw on the big TV the Apple TV is great. The ROKU gets the most use. Used the Apple TV to see a few shows on HBO Max which ended being poor. The ones on Netflix have been much better. I'm amazing at all you folks who can only run one device on your TV's though. Must be rough. On one TV I've got the top ROKU, last version of Apple TV, a Bluray player, an XBox, the Cable box. Other TV's have different arrays of devices on them. But you guys with room for one or the other, wow.

Fred3
Level 10

Re: Roku Founder Finally Has Spoken!: Peacock & HBO Max Anytime Soon?

Jump to solution

All the evidence points to old media dinosaurs AT&T and Comcast have been losing market share at an excelerating pace and are now flailing trying to reproduce their toxic and predatory pricing schemes to streaming. Comcast has been trying to sell their worthless streaming OS to TV manufacturers and their worthless streaming box to consumers. AT&T has their own worthless Osprey streaming box that they are pushing. The dinosaurs want a return to the old days of propriety boxes and monopolistic pricing schemes. They might be able to get away with it except for the fact that I don’t think I’ve watched any NBC content in any form this year. All AT&T has is HBO and I can live without the HBO MAX app. I am sticking with ROKU and am fine with Comcast and AT&T slowly withering away. Their histrionic tantrums are only showing how irrelevent that they are becoming.

Fred3
Level 10

Jump to solution

ROKU and Peacock/NBC just reached a deal, so apps will now be available

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nbcu-strikes-roku-deal-for-peacock

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Fred3 wrote:

Going to put a lot of pressure on HBO now. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TimELiebe
Level 9

Jump to solution

Look, a couple (sock puppet?) Malcontents like Iona-D might "give up on Roku" and try to convince you to do the same, but it still does a lot more of what I want it to do than Apple TV, does it more easily than Android TV -- and I could care less about English Football...or American Football...or anything involving any combination of the two. 

All I know about Manchester United was a joke the BBC's Simon Mayo made in response to Ray Winstone's villain in Aronofsky's Noah, yelling, "And Man! United! Will Not Failllll!" - "Yes, but Arsenal can shove it!" Even knowing Zip Diddly about what we Americans call "Soccer", I still almost fell off my chair laughing....

Get a second device if you have to watch your "footer" -- that's what we had to do back when streaming services first came out, and the Chromecast(!) was innovative because you could stream multiple services from your Smartphone!

TimELiebe
Level 9

Jump to solution

@scottcarrick wrote:

Now NBC is going to pull all of their apps/content from Roku because of the Peacock dispute. And nothing new on the HBO Max front either. I've patient with Roku long enough. Going to have to dump them and purchase an Apple TV. 

Your Corporate Sock Puppetry is truly...something.

I hope Your Masters at AT&T & Comcast pay you at least as well as they pay Joe Biden to keep us from having Tax-Funded Municipal Internet....

TimELiebe
Level 9

Jump to solution

@gadlaw wrote:

That'll show em! I already have both. When there's a video I want to throw on the big TV the Apple TV is great. The ROKU gets the most use. Used the Apple TV to see a few shows on HBO Max which ended being poor. The ones on Netflix have been much better. I'm amazing at all you folks who can only run one device on your TV's though. Must be rough. On one TV I've got the top ROKU, last version of Apple TV, a Bluray player, an XBox, the Cable box. Other TV's have different arrays of devices on them. But you guys with room for one or the other, wow.

Yes, I Actually Wrote This!Yes, I Actually Wrote This!I have to say, this has been my take, certainly! Roku came preinstalled on my television, so I've got it come what may -- but I also have a Chromecast, a 4K Blu-Ray player, a Region-Hacked Blu-Ray player, a VCR-DVD Recorder, and a TiVO Roamio hooked up to it. And I've two HDMI Splitters hooked up in case I want to add more.... 

William77
Level 9

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@Fred3 wrote:

Oh Great!  TV everywhere has been saved on Roku!  The deal has been struck according to Natalie Jarvey at the Hollywood Reporter.  Now all the Roku faithful who have been b'in' and moanin' for peacock access can celebrate.  Just in time for the presidential election for all you conspiracy theorists.  Hope all the FIFA fans are happy now.  I sincerely wonder what Roku gave up to play with the big boys?  Not much of an announcement by Natalie Jarvey with very little detail.  Interesting that six hours earlier, NBCU was threatening to pull all NBC tv everywhere and now it is settled?  Also interesting I received the following letter from Roku and I wonder how many others received the same?  Sheds a little more light on the business culture at Roku.  Reminds me a lot of the same type of appeal that DISH made to it customers when the local station "withdrew" itself from DISH.  Why is it the subscribers get pulled in to these negotiations as though we are some type of disgruntled political party?  Still, as evidenced by many on this blog there exists such a faction that Roku attempts to rally for leverage against the likes of NBCU and Comcast.  I also notice the self promotion of the Roku Channel.  There are times I say "A pox on both their houses".  But then why take it all too seriously?  Here is the email sent to me today from Roku with edits to the corresponding hyperlinks that would not carry through from my submitted post:

"Dear Roku Customer, 

Comcast informed Roku that they plan to take away consumers’ access to NBCUniversal’s TV Everywhere channels on the Roku platform. TV Everywhere channels allow Roku users to stream channels that are part of the traditional Pay TV package they subscribe to. Comcast may require Roku to delete these channels as early as this weekend. 

This is deeply disappointing and the wrong way to treat subscribers, many of whom are Comcast customers, who pay to access these channels via their cable TV subscriptions and now will no longer be able to view these TV Everywhere channels on Roku, their platform of choice. While these NBC TV Everywhere apps represent a very small number of streaming hours on our platform, we believe they are convenient to people who use them, especially when so many Americans are at home.

Comcast is removing these channels in order to try to force Roku to distribute its new Peacock service on unreasonable terms. 

Roku’s goal is to bring you a wide selection of content and to help content producers build large audiences. We asked Comcast to extend our existing arrangement for their TV Everywhere channels as-is so that they remain accessible while we continue to work towards a Peacock agreement. Comcast declined to extend and also refused fair and normal business terms for the distribution of Peacock. 

Fortunately, Roku customers can still access NBCUniversal’s channels many ways on Roku devices. Existing Xfinity, Charter, or AT&T TV customers can stream NBCUniversal’s channels on the xfnty (sic) strm (sic), spctrm tv (sic) and att (sic) channels available in the Roku Channel Store. You can also watch NBCUniversal’s networks through other Live TV providers such as att now (sic), fubo tv (sic), hlu live tv (sic), slng tv (sic), and utube tv (sic), many of which offer free trials. Comcast’s decision does not affect access to the Xfinity Stream app.

We know that you stand to benefit from Comcast and Roku reaching an agreement that preserves access to TV Everywhere channels, expands choice in free content and respects your desire to watch content on the platform of your choosing. We are committed to trying to achieve that goal.

Regards,

Roku"

William77
Level 9

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@Fred3 wrote:

FYI, a more detailed and better written article reporting the same at  https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/roku-nbcuniversal-peacock-deal-nbc-tv-apps-1234775220/?cx_test... 

0 Kudos