Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Train
Level 9

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

Jump to solution

Um...people are giving up on Roku. You just don't get it.

If your team is Manchester United and you want to watch them play, you cannot on Roku, because Roku does not have Peacock.  You cannot buy another Peacock to work on your Roku.  But you can buy another device to watch Manchester United, and HBO Max.

When push comes to shove, Roku gets shoved aside. 

@TimELiebe wrote:

@PhxCoronado wrote:

HBO Max and Peacock apps are still obscure. They are not popular like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc. Their subscriber take rate is low, below forecast. 

HBO is big on cable, but on streaming? They're a hash of apps that confuse people:

• Do you want HBO Now or HBO Go if you want to watch this year's revisionist PERRY MASON series, or re-watch DEADWOOD or GAME OF THRONES?
  • Why are you paying so much for one, when the other's free if you have a cable package already? 
  • WTF is HBO Max, why isn't it on my box if it's such a big deal, and where's it's "Heroin Content" (content you just got to have, no matter what)? Shows that might qualify, like WATCHMEN, LOVECRAFT COUNTRY, or the aforementioned PERRY MASON, are readily available as a part of HBO on Roku.

Little as Iona-D (or her? corporate masters) may like it, more people are likely to give up on HBO Max than to give up on Roku. HBO Max's rollout was such a disaster that the man in charge of that got his ass fired over it: Not on two of the biggest streaming aggregators (and both Roku and Amazon Fire Stick are big, especially next to Android TV or Tizen!); nobody knows WTF HBO Max is or how it's different than other streaming HBO platforms; and whether or not you have to pay for it is a minefield of corporate overreach. 

As for Peacock? Its rollout was more of a joke than AppleTV+'s was: It's got no content to distinguish it from DVR'ing NBC shows; like HBO Max it premiere'd on neither of the biggest streaming aggregators -- yes, I know they're both on AppleTV, but outside of hardcore Apple fans nobody's going to pay for either the "Apple Tax" or its "Walled Garden" approach to streaming when both Roku and Amazon are offering much cheaper and more comprehensive alternatives; and its tiered pricing plan, which should have been its biggest virtue, was so badly marketed most people think it's all a free service. 

0 Kudos
PhxCoronado
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Train wrote:

Um...people are giving up on Roku. You just don't get it.

If your team is Manchester United and you want to watch them play, you cannot on Roku, because Roku does not have Peacock.  You cannot buy another Peacock to work on your Roku.  But you can buy another device to watch Manchester United, and HBO Max.

When push comes to shove, Roku gets shoved aside. 

@TimELiebe wrote:

@PhxCoronado wrote:

HBO Max and Peacock apps are still obscure. They are not popular like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc. Their subscriber take rate is low, below forecast. 

HBO is big on cable, but on streaming? They're a hash of apps that confuse people:

• Do you want HBO Now or HBO Go if you want to watch this year's revisionist PERRY MASON series, or re-watch DEADWOOD or GAME OF THRONES?
  • Why are you paying so much for one, when the other's free if you have a cable package already? 
  • WTF is HBO Max, why isn't it on my box if it's such a big deal, and where's it's "Heroin Content" (content you just got to have, no matter what)? Shows that might qualify, like WATCHMEN, LOVECRAFT COUNTRY, or the aforementioned PERRY MASON, are readily available as a part of HBO on Roku.

Little as Iona-D (or her? corporate masters) may like it, more people are likely to give up on HBO Max than to give up on Roku. HBO Max's rollout was such a disaster that the man in charge of that got his ass fired over it: Not on two of the biggest streaming aggregators (and both Roku and Amazon Fire Stick are big, especially next to Android TV or Tizen!); nobody knows WTF HBO Max is or how it's different than other streaming HBO platforms; and whether or not you have to pay for it is a minefield of corporate overreach. 

As for Peacock? Its rollout was more of a joke than AppleTV+'s was: It's got no content to distinguish it from DVR'ing NBC shows; like HBO Max it premiere'd on neither of the biggest streaming aggregators -- yes, I know they're both on AppleTV, but outside of hardcore Apple fans nobody's going to pay for either the "Apple Tax" or its "Walled Garden" approach to streaming when both Roku and Amazon are offering much cheaper and more comprehensive alternatives; and its tiered pricing plan, which should have been its biggest virtue, was so badly marketed most people think it's all a free service. 

It’s frustrating, I understand. You cannot watch Peacock or HBO Max on Roku or FireTV, two platforms with 2/3 of the streaming services. It’s a risk to sales for new devices if soccer fans cannot access, and may benefit AppleTV or the upcoming GoogleTV. Ultimately, you need to ask Comcast why would they move MLS to the Peacock service and not ensure their app is available on the two predominant platforms. They could make a deal but choose not to. 

bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@PhxCoronado wrote:

Iona had a good point. Roku taking a risk that defections could occur if they are no longer obscure apps. 

If they are no longer obscure apps, someday. But let's help them get there by getting them (or at least HBO Max) on Roku. I recommend direct tweeting @jasonkilar - the verified account of the WarnerMedia CEO - to tell him how important not having to buy another streaming device to see HBO Max is to you. Imply you will cancel HBO Max if you can't get it on Roku. Enough people do that and he will have to pay attention.

Remember, this is the guy who said he is counting on gift giving season to force Roku and Amazon to cave to his demands, so unless we put pressure on him, he will wait until January forces him to realize that his customers do matter.

bknabe
Level 12

Re: DO NOT LET HBO MAX and NBC CHARGE YOU TO USE YOUR PLATFORM!

Jump to solution

@dwharton wrote:

HBO literally makes the best content out there. Raised by Wolves and Watchman - two originals that came out on HBO Max in the last two months are some of the best shows I have seen.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIAIiw8UAfA&t=126s

You do know Watchmen (which is on regular HBO) was cancelled after the first season, right?

bknabe
Level 12

Re: Roku Founder Finally Has Spoken!: Peacock & HBO Max Anytime Soon?

Jump to solution

@Iona-D wrote:

Well finally an Roku upper pylon person with real clout in the Roku corporation has been interviewed and given some real tangible tibbits about all the hoopla going on in the Roku world and it’s forums. The Roku fan base (even the former ones) will still might be put off by the answers given anyway by the big honcho himself.   Who knows what exactly is going on behind closed doors.

The 2 articles I will draw from here and there below was quite lengthy and packed with some interesting observations-especially the one discussing both the author and the founder himself.  It might not be to your liking, but at the very least I am now quite satisfied with my own decisions about my own feeling and recent posts plus the -new device(s) purchase(s) present and in the near future) is the right direction to take.  I feel absolutely no guilt whatsoever with the decisions I was forced by Roku itself to make..  Not only for me, but probably most of you reading this post or the other posts which were unfairly labeled the rightfully confused left far behind forum supporters as “Roku Community Criers.”.

Roku has become a very powerful corporation over the past decade.  It no longer needs too many real live people anymore, both inside and outside the corporate walls to staff it’s day-to-day operations,  buy “loss leader” hardware, or even to download channel/apps off their channel store.  The only concern left is to amass more power and money.

If Roku feels it does not have the upper hand of controlling it's own best interests,-then no deal or even discussions period.  Always keep this in mind when it comes to dealing directly or indirectly with or even deciding if you still like your Roku devices or want do business (spend money) with Roku anymore.  Or getting Peacock TV, HBO Max, FOX (earlier this year), or any more new apps on the horizon on your home screen anytime soon.

They can sit back and wait for a very, very long time.  Can you?

Here is your to do list of really good, solid articles that will answer the questions I’m sure you have finally.  Even with no definite dates anyone can plan on given below:

Interview With The Founder:

https://popculture.com/streaming/news/roku-founder-reveals-why-hbo-max-peacock-arent-available/

Roku As The New Gatekeeper?:

https://variety.com/2020/streaming/features/roku-premium-streaming-12Top34748507/

Which is where individual preferences and opinions come in. I read those articles and feel satisfied with my decisions. I disagree with yours, but they are yours, so as long as you're happy with the, I'll agree to disagree. :^)

bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@William77 wrote:

@bknabe wrote:

@William77 wrote:

I never said that I support AT&T.  The point of the article is that large conglomerates such as AT&T control accessibility and create a lack of choice for those such as the Roku subscribers on this blog.  If you must know, I started with Roku due to local channel disputes between DISH and our CBS affiliate.  That is to say, I have turned a bit sour regarding the infighting that has left the paying subscribers and the Roku user-base and others, left with a feeling of being screwed over.  Ultimately, fighting over whether I have access to a "premium" HBO or NBC channel is not worth it and since this blog has been going on since early July, I have to say that I really don't give a s***.  So those who think this is some sort of political dragon to slay and argue over these channels, in particular, is just a waste of time at this late date.  Best of luck, but you are now just tilting at windmills. Smiley Happy 

You made a choice. That choice sends a statement (however miniscule you may feel it is). By deciding you need HBO content so badly you will buy another streaming device you are supporting HBO/ATT. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but it is the choice you made and the message it sends. As for tilting at windmills, that's not what this is. This is shouting in an echo chamber. Smiley Happy

Wll BKnabe, I have been reading this thread for a while since our first encounter and I think you enjoy the debate.  You are certainly active.  On some threads you make arguments that I am in total agreement with.  For example, most people do have the major popular movies already on Blu ray as you seem to as well. That is why Disney+ holds even less interest for me than HBO Max.  I have also read through various citation links for articles that publish accounts regarding who is to "blame" (AT&T, Comcast v. HBO Max, NBC Peacock, etc).  I am not taking sides on either.  You stated (paraphrase) that I can't have it both ways or that I am straddling the fence between the two sides.  Let me clarify and see what others think.  I am not sold on being a Roku "defender" or "whiner" about not having all the major apps in one convenient place.  Nor do I understand why so many are now seemingly desperate to have these latest apps on Roku.  If they don't want to have a second device platform, then wait awhile and as one put it, --after the pandemic there will be less interest as people have less time to worry about HBO Max being available on Roku.  I also read that HBO Max is seeking to supercede HBO and that Roku is resisting.  If HBO is phased out, then all of this becomes moot and people will either "upgrade", probably paying more, or find HBO "Classic" on another device. 

My blu ray from 2010 has only Netflix and Amazon.  Amazon provides HBO since my DISH provider dropped it.  My smart plasma from 2012 allows several more which I choose not to use at all.  So I did not "purchase another streaming device that somehow supports HBO/AT&T".  My purchase of Roku was the only recent acquisition and if that is somehow taking sides with HBO/AT&T, I don't agree.  I still get HBO through my blu ray.  I have been a long time HBO subscriber regardless of platform.  But, could I live without it? Absolutely.  But for me the cost is worth the benefit and I choose how to spend my money.  HBO has been around for decades so that logic of "supporting" HBO/AT&T suggests that all subscribers somehow took a side against Roku.   Care to comment?

The imbedding of apps on new and soon to be replaced devices will continue to foster the battle for supremacy in the platform marketplace, even as Roku is now itself seeking to become imbedded on new smart devices.  Reminds me of Microsoft.  The previous comments showing financial comparisons only drive home the fact that the user (aka addicted masses) will still be low on the list of priorities to Roku and AT&T, and the other corporate behemoths that seek dominant market share.  Yes, Roku has dominant market share.   It is hardly an underdog.  In other words, many here seem to think that one side or the other will be influenced by the threads in this blog.  I remain skeptical. 

What I do appreciate is the fact that there are choices available, more channels, and movies at our fingertips on more devices than ever before.  I suppose if I had been a Roku user for the last 10 years, than I might be less willing to concede that it should not be a service provider but remain as a neutral platform as many seem to feel.  Times change and we live in a capitalistic society.  At least there is enough competition for people to choose.  (Not true for internet service providers, but that is a different thread).  For me, Roku was a thirty dollar expense and as I said before, it met my need to keep access to my local station through CBS All Access, first.   CBS's other programming is an added benefit (ie; Star Trek Discovery).  Also as I said before, it is all cost/benefit.  Keep up the good work, bknabe, I find your diverse opinions to be quite entertaining, but I am not taking sides here to please anyone...  All my best to those who think Roku should stand its ground against the forces of evil and good luck!

First, you are right, I am enjoying the debate. This is one of the few places that discussions involving relatively strong feelings happen without someone devolving it into name-calling and chaos. It reminds me of a couple of local BBS's I was on waaaaaaaay back in the day. :^)

I guess I was mistaken, but I thought you had said you bought, or were going to buy, another device to get HBO Max. So that whole part of anything I said to you is null and void. On taking sides, if you purchase a new device, you are making a choice that validates HBO's position. If you decide to wait until an agreement is reached, that is a choice that validates Roku's. You may not actually care who wins as long as you get your HBO Max, but the numbers will show support to one side or the other. 

There are a lot of factors that can go into how you feel about this disagreement. How long you've been an HBO subscriber is one. How long you've had Roku is another. But being a longtime subscriber/user doesn't determine which side you support. I've never felt a great need for any premium movie services. I subscribed to Cinemax for a while, I think I even subscribed to HBO at one point, but I never saw the value in any of the premium channels, so I never kept them long. Which is one of the reasons I'm more supportive of Roku in this. Another, larger one is that I used to closely follow the activities of WarnerMedia and Comcast, and have a very low opinion and level of trust in anything they do. Since I like my Roku devices, unless I see compelling evidence they are the bad guys, I'll side with them.

Since I am not a long time Roku user - maybe 1 1/2 to 2 years - I did not buy them thinking I would always have access to everything out there. I don't feel betrayed. Some here do, and I do get that. I am still far more leery of WarnerMedia than Roku.

I agree that we are not exactly talking about a David and Goliath story. It's more of a 20 year old warrior with some training and a couple of battles under his belt vs a late 20's seasoned veteran. We're the poor serfs caught in the village they're battling over. Okay, the analogy doesn't quite work, but you see what I'm saying. This forum will not play a major (if any) part in solving anything. But getting the social media accounts or company emails or other contact info for CEO's, marketing departments, etc, and flooding them with our displeasure, whether it's Warner or Roku, can make a difference. I say Warner because it's the Warner CEO who has stated that they are waiting for Roku/Amazon to be forced to cave. He appears to be the guy calling the shots. Especially since the firing of HBO's CEO saw no change in policy.

You are right, it is wonderful we have choice - I suspect we would be more closely aligned on an ISP discussion, but as you said, another discussion - and ultimately, my hope is that Roku winning this dispute will maintain that, and my concern is that WarnerMedia winning would ultimately diminish it. Hopefully I'm right on the first, and wrong on the last. I respect your input, and I think you helped clarify things. Keep all us opinionated guys on our toes and point out where we're going cockeyed. It's good for all us.

gadlaw
Level 9

Re: Roku Founder Finally Has Spoken!: Peacock & HBO Max Anytime Soon?

Jump to solution

Thanks for doing that research and bringing it up. Now I understand what the issues are. I'm curious but not obsessed with all of this. So it's the same deal everyone else gets and it's HBO and Peacock that are balking.  I do have the HBO Max and Peacock on my Apple TV and I don't really use them. I looked at a few of the new Max shows and didn't care for them. Nice to have but not one of those strange folks who come to a ROKU forum to dramatically say how they are leaving their ROKU devices for whatever and they stay here to say the same thing for a good deal of time. Interesting.

dwharton
Level 9

Jump to solution

I did not know about this.  What a stupid decision.  Watchman is fantastic show

0 Kudos
bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@dwharton wrote:

I did not know about this.  What a stupid decision.  Watchman is fantastic show

My experience with TV shows (HBO or anywhere) is if that I see it from the beginning and like it, it will be cancelled. If I catch it later, it will be cancelled the season I start watching. Fortunately, I have not seen Watchmen at all, so you can't blame it on me (this time ;^) I did want to see it, but it will probably be too depressing, knowing it's only the one season.

bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Train wrote:

@PhxCoronado wrote:

Content is king, but HBO Max and Peacock aren’t big players (yet). I am sure ATT and Comcast are desperate to be on Roku and FireTV, the two largest dominant platforms, after spending billions on content and app development. ATT and Comcast should be doing anything to get HBO Max and Peacock on Roku and FireTV, so they can improve their subscriber numbers and generate revenue. 

You are underestimating the damage being done to the Roku brand.  People are dumping Roku devices to buy other devices so that they can get HBO Max and Peacock. You need to look at the soccer forums/threads now that the English Premier League season has started and NBC has put most of the games on Peacock.  Roku is quickly becoming a dirty word in those circles.  This is beyond ridiculous already.

I think you're overestimating the problem for Roku. How many Roku users are HBO subscribers. I'm not, and I hadn't heard of HBO Max until I saw that I was getting it for free with my Internet on my HBO dashboard. Away from Roku, I've asked about a dozen people (yes, I randomly quizzed strangers) if they've watched HBO Max, and I haven't asked one that had even heard of it yet. Not scientific, but if it was doing so well I would expect at least one out of a dozen in a good part of town would have heard of it. Maybe I need to go ask at Sam's instead of the supermarket.