Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

Jump to solution

Adding my voice to the chorus in case Roku actually looks... I still have the first Roku (ok not plugged in) and bought quite a few since. Why? Because everything was on them and it just worked.

I guess not any more. Sad day. 

And HBO isn't free of blame by pulling HBO Go, but this isn't their forum.

Level 8

Re: No Peacock Tv or HBO Max?

Jump to solution

The fact that the rich execs are making so I can't have access to the latest entertainment options on my roku device has me very upset.

I will not buy another roku anything now. Not TV, not box, nothing. I cannot trust them to provide access to content as it becomes available because they want to argue over who gets to be richer.

Hate this SO much.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

I think it's a mischaracterization to say HBO pulled the plug.  As I understand it, the contract by which HBO Go is provided on Noku expried on July 31st.  HBO developed a new application, which is ready to deploy, that had more features and content.  Noku rejected the better application and prevented HBO from releasing it.

As a platform customer, that is, as a person who paid for a Noku device, you would hope that a newer, better application would be welcomed on the platform.  It makes the platform more valuable, that's good for Noku.  It gives the Noku customer more choice. 

But it turns out, Noku said "No, we want more".  I don't know the details, of course, but it strikes me that Noku sees other services as competion.  HBO Max, Peacock, who knows what will be next.  Noku no longer wants to enable "newer better", they want to restrict their customers so they can peddle their own Noku content and services.  They don't want to provide customer's choice, they want to force feed them their own content.

People say, "NokuFooYou, why don't you let Noku run their business".  The answer is that I bought a Noku because it was a platform, not a dodge to monetize my subscription to another company, not a way to syphon my own personal data, and not to be coerced to subscribe to Noku content, which I don't want.  

I will say that in HBO's case, the various companies had enough good will to provide an interim work around.  Not one that Noku supported very well, but they at least allowed it.  That's not the case for Peacock, as far as I can tell.  But again, Noku is preventing an application that is ready to go, that has been developed at no cost to Noku, in an effort to subvert the viewing capabilities of their customers.

Whether HBO Max is great, or should be better, is largely irrelevant.  It's something I paid for already, on a platform I also paid for.  Noku is getting in the way of allowing me to see that content, in order to push their own (very mediocre) content. 

That's what this thread is about, Noku turning their back on their mission as a neutral platform. By doing that they have completely compromised their reason for being, or at least the reason I became a Noku customer.   

Level 9

Jump to solution

Dude, you really need to move out of your moms basement. Everything you said is totally false and actually the truth is the opposite of everything you stated. Where are you getting your information? 

Level 9

Jump to solution

I hope you have better insight into this tug of war between HBO, NBC and Noku than into my living arrangements, but I see no evidence of that. 

At least if your going to be snarky, you could show some originality

Level 13

Re: HBO max and peacock tv app

Jump to solution

Big news flash.  Those apps are not free.  Roku is not in the charity business.  Nor would I expect them to be.  

Level 13

Jump to solution

I decided not to waste my valuable time trying to change others.  Especially large stubborn corporations.  I simply changed myself.

I have all the apps I want when I did this.  Mainly BOTH Peacock & CBS All Access on 1 device only.  With minimal cost to me.  

I no longer have to lower myself to beggar status.  Or debase myself pleading or holding my breath.  Roku is free to do what it wants-without my support.  

Time to wake up & see what's really at stake-you.

Level 13

Re: HBO max and peacock tv app

Jump to solution
I decided not to waste my valuable time trying to change others.  Especially large stubborn corporations.  I simply changed myself. I have all the apps I want when I did this.  Mainly BOTH Peacock & CBS All Access on 1 device only.  With minimal cost to me.   I no longer have to lower myself to beggar status.  Or debase myself pleading or holding my breath.  Roku is free to do what it wants-without my support.   Time to wake up & see what's really at stake-you.
0 Kudos
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Elecman007 wrote:

What does HBOMAX offer substantially to warrant a new deal?  Reruns of the Big Bang Theory, which you can watch free on TNT/TBS?  No new content, whatsoever. 

Hi. Your statement about no new content is factually incorrect. At launch on May 27, HBO Max offered several new original series' (mostly kids and reality programming), and other original content has been released since launch. More is on the way, including Raised by Wolves, an original sci-fi series scheduled for release September 3rd.

The current non-original content I am enjoying that HBO Max brought to the service includes Doctor Who, the classic Looney Tunes shorts going back to the 1930s, and early episodes of South Park that I haven't seen in two decades. And I haven't even mentioned the more-than-dozen classic and cult classic movie titles that are currently in my watchlist, which are a very tiny fraction of the total movie titles on the service.

Maybe you don't care about the Turner Classic Movie and DC Universe collections, or Studio Ghibli, or Crunchyroll, or Adult Swim. Some of it I do care about, some of it I don't. But I'd definitely call what HBO Max has to offer as "substantial."

Level 9

Jump to solution

I had the impression that ROKU was going to be the all-in-one "antennae to the world" of media. I already have a FireStick, a few ROKUS and an HDMI media player. And a dozen remote controls and a 24 pack of batteries all to watch 2 or three channels.