Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

I used a Chromecast (Second Gen) for years on a small scale HDTV. In June, I decided to splurge on a 4K TV that happened to be a TCL Roku Smart TV. I was more interested in the display and three HDMI ports than the Smart TV features. (My roommate who uses the same TV has a Fire Stick and between that and my Blu-Ray player, we were swapping out devices on the HDTV, which only had two ports.) However, I was very quickly sold on having a nice interface to access all my streaming services. It's nicer to just use one remote for the TV and use it to navigate the streaming services from a ready to go menu. Also, no having to store all the apps on my phone!

I haven't bought a plan for Peacock, but I did sign up for the discounted monthly rate for HBO Max, mainly because I was interested in the Studio Ghibli catalog. (Also their upcoming DC original shows, although those won't be coming for awhile, so I'll probably unsubscribe then sign back up when those come around.) But I haven't used HBO Max much lately. Part of this is HBO Max's fault as Warner Brothers already split up some of their content into other services they didn't merge into HBO Max at launch (DC Universe and Boomerang). When it came to content available at launch, they really fumbled as there was just a few more offerings than the HBO Now service. The lack of apps on Roku and Fire devices was also a frustration as they charge quite the premium price. It's more than Netflix's HD plan (although with the promo discount I landed, it's exactly the same for me.

I at least have the option to do Peacock and HBO Max on Chromecast, but it's very inconvenient to have to go over to my Chromecast.

I know we're not privy to the negotiations and often the news we get can be slanted depending on who's saying it. I'm just disappointed that all three companies involved in these decisions are taking months to resolve this while customers are having to either look for alternatives or workarounds or decide what services or products they will or won't use in the future.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

To me this is just another bad business decision by ATT. They destroyed Directv and their **bleep** billing practices lost 100s of NFL Sunday Ticket customers. Now this. I've decided I don't need HBO any longer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I had read that Roku was going to get a basic HBO app for HBO subscribers, to replace HBO GO until a solution can be worked out but I am seeing that isn't the case. HBO NOW subscribers are seeing service uninterrupted and are the ones able to access the new HBO app. Why can't subscribers of HBO (Comcast, Optimum, etc) also access this app with their cable log-on? Why should I subscribe to HBO NOW when I actually get HBO MAX through my cable company? And the bottom line is why should Roku users be patient with you when you have no short term solution for cable subscriber 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@FlyingDutchman wrote:

I had read that Roku was going to get a basic HBO app for HBO subscribers, to replace HBO GO until a solution can be worked out but I am seeing that isn't the case. HBO NOW subscribers are seeing service uninterrupted and are the ones able to access the new HBO app. Why can't subscribers of HBO (Comcast, Optimum, etc) also access this app with their cable log-on? Why should I subscribe to HBO NOW when I actually get HBO MAX through my cable company? And the bottom line is why should Roku users be patient with you when you have no short term solution for cable subscriber 

If you try look up HBO GO in the channel store,  it clearly says the app would not ba  available starting today. If you try to add the channel from the channel store, it will prompt you if you want to install it via private channel add and it will give you a numerical code to enter. After it installs, and you try to get on the channel, it will say that it is no longer available and it gives several options to access HBO: AT&T TV, x finity , Spectrum and HBO on the Roku Channel.  I would suggest calling HBO directly to see if you can arrange a workaround so you don't have to pay for it if you already are paying for it through your cable subscription  Roku can't help you with that. This is a matter between HBO and the customers.  The other suggestion I would have is to see if Roku has the channel app for your cable provider. If they do, then install it, link your service to the device and see if you can get HBO through that app. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@fluke wrote:

@StreamerUser wrote:

@mmg wrote:

I like this idea, a lot! I wonder what would be a good time to do this. Actually, starting tomorrow seems ideal, because that's the day you cannot watch HBO on Roku in any form (until today you can at least watch HBO Go).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/hbo-now-subscribers-can-continue-to-stream-on-amazon-af...

"There’s also the other elephant in the room: Roku. HBO Max hasn’t landed on the platform either, and HBO Go is also being sunset. But unlike Amazon, WarnerMedia and Roku already had a deal in place to let HBO Now customers continue streaming in the newly designated HBO app."

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/hbo-max-peacock-roku-amazon-streaming-1234703977/

"Roku has a deal to keep an “HBO” app, which is replacing HBO Now as of Aug. 1, while talks over HBO Max continue."

(emphasis mine)

It would be good if some of you hyperbolic claimants took just a little time to inform yourselves about the facts of the situation before posting...

I think there are people that have posted that know about the HBO (formerly HBO Now) app but do not care.

There are two reasons that HBO app just increases the level of frustration:

(1) There is no way to activate the HBO app with a cable provider sign in

(2) Getting the HBO app costs the same as HBO Max without getting access to the additional content

It should be easy to see why people would feel cheated regardless of if they were HBO Go or HBO Now with only getting the HBO app on Roku.

As to who is at fault for the situation, that opinion seems to different between individuals.  But if the new promoted service is so called HBO "Max" then that kind of implies the HBO app is just the HBO "Less" version.

The other factor, for me at least, is how HBO Max competes with other services.

For $15 per month, HBO Max currently offers 183 movies with a Rotten Tomatoes score of 90% or higher but only in HD.

For $13 per month, Netflix currently offers 198 movies with a Rotten Tomatoes score of 90% or higher but only in HD.

For $16 per month, Netflix provides Ultra-HD.

HBO Max is nearly the same price as Netflix in UHD but they don't offer UHD.

HBO Max is also more expensive that the HD plan on Netflix with slightly less movies hitting the 90%+ rating level.

That seems to me like HBO Max is also providing less while costing more.

Yeah, this is the reason. Yes, there are probably convoluted ways to get this. I don't really care. There was an HBO Go app that worked without any cable shenanigans and authenticated through my cable provider login. The HBO Max app should work the same way, simple.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No, I'm going to get a streaming device that has HBO Max and get rid of my Roku, it's one of the earlier generations anyway. Me not using Roku anymore solves the problem pretty easily. I'm not interested in being a participant or used as leverage between Roku and HBO so this is my way of "stepping out of it" and I hope others do the same to make things easier for Roku to handle the problems they are actually responsible for. You're right and I appreciate your response.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: HBO max and peacock tv app

Hope you're giving ATT and NBC the same message. They're holding out, too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Where's Peacock and HBO Max?

Roku built it's name on a platform with the broadest app selection.   However, now Roku isn't supporting MAJOR new apps - namely, HBO Max and newly released Peacock.  You seem to be going down the same path of other streaming platforms that I have left.  Maybe it's time to stop being such a fan of Roku.

Highlighted

Re: Roku either adds Peacock or lose me as a customer/promoter

I am getting Google Chromecast for the whopping price of $30, or if I want some upgrades, $70. I have to use my phone with it, which Roku assumes is a deal breaker but it doesn't sound that bad. I'm going to need to unplug my Roku from its HDMI port to use for Chromecast. Assuming I don't find benefits with Chromecast that make me never look back I can always plug the Roku back in once they straighten things out. This is my strategy, it's only gonna cost, at most $70, it'll be good to have a backup. Telling me to call HBO directly and not my cable company was kind of the cherry on top of an awful response. And not one empathy statement. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku either adds Peacock or lose me as a customer/promoter

As far as I am concerned, Noku has a history of dispicable business practices  In my case, this dates back to their inability to maintain the SlingPlayer App, even as they were advertising in prominently on the Noku site itself.  As far as I am concerned, advertising something is an implicit contract to support that product for a reasonable length of time.  Fire TV supports SlingPlayer, Noku does not.  And they dropped support wothout notice, poof.

In my view Noku has no technology and no value, just a Broadcom chip and memory in a plastic box.  They are a leach trying to profit off my subscription to HBO.  I have as much sympathy for their position as I would for a PC maker trying to charge for me to run an application on my PC.  I paid for their platform, but it's not a platform, it's an excuse for disgraceful business practices.  I thought they would be an honest, neutral platform, but they are the bottom feeder of the industry.