Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

Jump to solution

@rovel0 wrote:

@tribecos wrote:

@dennkenn wrote:

I am forced to use Roku to receive my streaming Spectrum service. I am already paying to get HBO through Spectrum but I cannot get HBOMAX on Roku. Now I'm being told HBO NOW, which is on Roku, is being discontinued. I just want to get a service I am paying for, please Roku add this to your streaming channels. The same goes for Peacock now.

No, you're being told that HBO NOW is being rebranded to HBO on Roku.  From the help.hbonow.com page:  "Beginning July 31, 2020, the HBO NOW app will be rebranded to HBO.  Existing HBO NOW subscribers will have access to HBO through the rebranded HBO app on devices where HBO NOW was available..."

That tells me that if I was able to HBO NOW, I'll be able to use the HBO app, and the sky isn't falling.

This is correct, as HBO NOW is for people who subscribe to HBO separately from their cable provider.  I'm a bit confused about the OP's question - if he's getting HBO through Spectrum (i.e., subscribing to HBO through them), he's probably using HBO GO, which is not part of the HBO rebrand.  After July 31, the only way people using Roku that subscribe to HBO through their cable provider can access HBO content is through their cable box.

Not OP but in a similar position. I think what they mean is that Spectrum, like most of the cable providers, made a deal with HBO that if we pay our cable subscriber for HBO, we also get access to HBO Max grandfathered in. I also pay Spectrum for a super basic TV streaming package -- so I have no cable box or literal cables, but I pay to stream Spectrum through WiFi. That requires a device Spectrum can stream through -- i.e. a Roku. I also pay for HBO as an add-on channel because my husband was a GoT fan and we watch some of their other original content, movies. HBO Max offers WAYYYY more content than that, but we can't get it on Roku, only the regular HBO content. But the whole point of the deal is supposed to be that if you pay for HBO through Spectrum, you get HBO Max. I think OP is pointing out that we can't do that if there's no HBO Max app.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes I want to be able to get everything on HBOMAX. Not just the on air and on demand on Spectrum streaming. I am paying for HBOMAX through my HBO subscription through Spectrum.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

Well it looks like HBO and NBC are purposely not working with ROKU not necessarily the other way around. If Peacock and HBO don't want to be on the device I use the most then I won't be seeing them. Pretty simple. I don't use the slow and annoying designed interface from my cable provider cause it's slow and annoying. I'm not going to go way out of my way to use things that want me to jump through hoops. Whatever.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yup.  I was so excited about getting my Roku TV. Our old dumb TVs with an Apple TV device was how it worked in our house. I got my first smart TV without Roku and realized I’d messed up and then got the next one with Roku. Been loving it! Until.........now I’m looking up how to factory set my TCL TV so I can just put another  Apple TV on it.  At least the mirroring will work from my IPhone!  That’s laughable btw with the Roku mirroring apps.  

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

@gadlaw wrote:

Well it looks like HBO and NBC are purposely not working with ROKU not necessarily the other way around. If Peacock and HBO don't want to be on the device I use the most then I won't be seeing them. Pretty simple. I don't use the slow and annoying designed interface from my cable provider cause it's slow and annoying. I'm not going to go way out of my way to use things that want me to jump through hoops. Whatever.

Actually, NBC has said it is ready to roll out to any platform. Roku won’t work with them because of access to ad revenue and signups.

Level 8

Made The Switch

Jump to solution

With the HBO Max saga and Peacock TV debacle in full swing I decided to order an Apple TV 4k to test whether or not I would like it. The verdict is, it’s amazing!  I don’t know why the picture quality is so much better than my Roku Ultra, but it is remarkably better. My wife even noticed!

Unless Roku gets their sh*t together real quick, I’ll be replacing my other Roku devices with Apple TV as well!!!

Level 7

Jump to solution

FYI, I ended up getting an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K ($49) for now and got HBO Max side loaded using  downloader and it's working flawlessly. 

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

I was wildly supportive of Roku, personally recommended it to multiple family and friends, now I hear the brunt of their anger. NONE of us will EVER buy another Roku product, this reminds me of the business suicide of blockbuster, the writing is on the wall for Roku. None of the people I convinced to buy Roku, had ever heard of them before, they certainly have heard of HBO and NBC. Rokus doomed.

Level 7

Jump to solution

Roku prided themselves on being neutral, now they have tossed the thing that made them most appealing out the window. I chose them for the ability to have all my apps in one place. I really loved my roku, but I have no problem switching to another device that fits my needs. 

Level 9

Re: Made The Switch

Jump to solution

I'm about to. Right now my Google dongle works, but idk if I can keep it up. I want one channel/device for everything. Roku needs to not repeat the mistakes of cable, but they seem to want to.

0 Kudos