Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
y2jman
Level 9

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

Jump to solution

well folks I purchased roku streaming stick june of last year and just a few mins ago I just order apple tv 4k streaming device 124.99 bucks

sorry roku you had me at hello goodbye not sure what I want to do with streaming stick plus I guess put it on another devicemy mom has a roku but don't used it

I know my dad getting a new smart tv 4k downstairs I can put it behind that or another tv upstairs or sell it ha or I can just put it away  meh

KordKutter
Level 9

Since HBO Max and Peacock TV are unavailable on Roku - thinking it's time for a new device

Jump to solution

As a loyal fan of Roku, I'm getting weary of the standoff between the content providers and Roku.

I decided to own a Roku because I wanted one device to watch all of my streaming content on. So far that has been a joy!

The older smart Blu-ray players that I purchased from Samsung and Sony eventually quit updating their streaming apps or adding any new ones. Never bought a smart TV because I was certain that would experience the same fate. Got a good old dumb 40" HDMI that still works very well!

Good thing that I stayed away from subscribing to premium channels through the Roku Channel, and all subscriptions I have are directly with the content providers. That will make the switch to something else such as Apple TV a breeze!

TimELiebe
Level 9

Jump to solution

Up until now I've been very happy with my Roku -- but not including HBO Max or Peacock either needs to be fixed, or a minimum a complete explanation as to why it's not there.

For Gods' sake, you've got AppleTV+ on your system now! Why not NBC's Free Streaming service Peacock or not-at-all-free HBO Max...?

JAGUARDOG
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yes I agree 100% where is PEACOCK, Why is it not here and when will you add it?

JAGUARDOG
Level 9

Jump to solution

HEY ROKU get you heads out of your asses and give the people what we want - PEACOCK.

Quest2
Level 7

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R Will it be available on Roku in the future? Where can we contact someone to voice our disappointment and make a request to have it added? 

Paddypods
Level 10

Re: Since HBO Max and Peacock TV are unavailable on Roku - thinking it's time for a new device

Jump to solution

And the gatekeeping continues.

Here's an article I ran across today that suggests exactly what I've been saying since the launch of HBO Max:

https://www.vulture.com/2020/07/why-peacock-isnt-on-roku.html

Specifically this paragraph:

"Industry insiders familiar with the situation say NBCU actually isn’t refusing to compensate Roku (or Amazon) for being on those platforms. Its objections have been focused on not wanting to give up control of its advertising inventory and user experience."

I'm fully on board with NBC being able to control the advertising in the two lower Peacock TV tiers. It is, after all, NBC/Universal programming. And as a subscriber, I appreciate the user interface that comes from most of my streaming apps. I have no interest in combining my eight services into one through a Roku Channel or Prime Video Channels. I subscribe to Peacock TV and HBO Max, and the Roku hardware is not supporting my choices. Roku has now officially proven to me that the company has become a gatekeeper, the same way my old cable company decided what broadcast content I could and could not get.

Roku used to supply hardware with an operating system. I would never accept having Hewlett Packard decide which Windows-based software I could install on my desktop.

Which is why I made the decision to replace my dumb living room TV with a smart TV that does not include Roku.

JCenter
Level 7

Jump to solution

Not helpful for your customers, RE HBO Max.

Do you not want to keep all of us, as customers?

Do a deal with HBO. 

Be more respectful and responsive when we ask perfectly legitimate questions and ask for help.

D007
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for replying Danny, but your answer is not a "solution" to the problem. You reiterated what we already know, asked to sign up for Roku's emailing list to boost their numbers, and "passing along the concerns" is polite speak for nothing will change. 

And continuing to mark this issue as "solved" when there is no indication that HBO Max or Peacock is going to be on Roku at any point in the near future is disingenuous.  It's simply being marked as solved to make it look like that Roku is being responsive to their customers, when in reality they are not.

atreynolds
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have been a Roku cheerleader for years, but with the HBO Max and Peacock standoff the cheering is coming to an end. This is what you get for allowing Wall St Bankers to control the decision-making to drive short term revenue while giving up the long-term viability of the company. You are in danger of losing your most loyal customers with this land grab. And once you've lost us, we won't be coming back. So pass this on to the board: What's 20% of nothing? It's zero! That's what your revenue is going to start looking like, one customer at a time. Your only way out now is to quickly strike a deal and publish a mea culpa to all of your customers for acting like a greedy jerk.