Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnveit
Level 7

Finding local news channel without surfing through the entire channel store

Is there an easy way to find local news channels without having to stream through the entire channel store.  I tried a few of the channel's call designation but I get not available.  I live in Eastern MT.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: Finding local news channel without surfing through the entire channel store

Roku just provides the platform on which the various channel apps run.  The channel owners themselves create and maintain the channel apps they provide to Roku.  If the stations you want have not created their own Roku channel apps, you won't find any.

The situation is further complicated by stations not naming their apps a way they can easily be found or even giving vital information in their channel descriptions.

Here's one glaring example: a channel app calling itself 14News. Its name gives no indication of its station call letters or location.  Here's its description:

14News.  The Tri-State's News and Weather Leader has been the preferred choice on-site, online, on mobile and social, now we're on Roku! Your #1 source for weather, breaking news, and live local coverage in the Tri-State area.

Unless you know WHICH of the many "tri-state" areas this represents there is no useful information there at all.  If you click on View screenshots to see the single shot they provided you'll learn this is WFIE but you still won't know where it's located.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Williamt100
Level 11

Re: Finding local news channel without surfing through the entire channel store

Try the NEWSON channel, it generally will provide a list of news channels local to your area based upon zip code and/or IP address.

Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X
0 Kudos