Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Fast Forward and Rewind Freezing on Philo Requires Reboot

Jump to solution

@Kristin2 

Thanks for the post and providing us with your information.

I have passed along your information to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
MHE
Level 7

Re: Fast Forward and Rewind Freezing in Philo Requires Reboot

Jump to solution

I need to update my original post per issue on fast forward freezing in AT&T on my 2020 Ultra. Unfortunately it is not restricted to the Ultra. I was having the issue on a Model 4620X and bought the Ultra thinking it would fix the problem, Silly me! It also seems to be worse on some channels more than others. but still a royal pain in general. ANY IDEA WHEN CAN EXPECT THIS TO BE FIXED IE. REPORTED SOFTWARE UPDATE????? Getting real close to dumping format all together.

Rooster2
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Ultra that was purchased in Dec 2020.  I am having the same problems as everyone else on this thread.  When watching recorded TV shows on Philo, it completely freezes when fast-forwarding. The only way to fix it is to reboot the Roku device.  That works until the next time you fast forward.  Then it happens again.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Philo.  Didn't work.  I've changed about every possible Roku setting.  No luck.  Roku Moderator - I know you're aware of this issue.  I also know you don't control everything going on with technical support folks.  But it would be helpful to know if this issue is being worked and a timeline for the fix.  Is this fix a week away, a month away, next quarter?  It's honestly hard to watch a recorded Philo show because you can't fast forward.  I check this thread daily hoping for a fix.  Philo has a lot shows we watch so it's a real impact.  Thanks so much for your help !!

Partridge
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have been in contact several times with Roku support about this exact same issue. Every time they tell me that it isn't a problem with Roku and that the problem is with the Philo channel. I have explained the problem several times to different people at Roku and even sent links to several threads regarding this same issue and always get told the same thing. Roku support is terrible.

REALspiffy
Level 9

Jump to solution

I have a ticket open now with roku, referenced this thread. Gave them all the information to escalate the issue after they tried to blame it on philo. I told them already went through philo. Haven't heard back. Emailed them today for an update. Nothing yet.

t_a_g
Level 8

Jump to solution

Sounds like no one wants to take responsibility.

Whats funny though, and I don't remember if it was mentioned here or on reddit is that both Philo and Roku are aware of the issue and confirmed it as a Roku bug. The person also mentioned they had a fix but won't release it until the next quarterly Roku update.

What @Partridge  is saying seems to contradict what I had read. Not sure now if there will be a fix or not now.

Sure wish someone from Roku would make an official statement here to let us know if they are working on it or not.

I myself am so irritated by the fact that I either have to waste time watching commercials on Philo or do several Roku reboots to get through a show after fast forwarding, I am about ready to drop Philo as I am not getting what I am paying for.

If Philo says this is Roku's issue then they need to light a fire under Roku's **bleep** before they start loosing paying customers.

Warlock466
Level 9

Jump to solution

I have since let my Philo subscription run out as I didn’t need it after using AT&T TV. My point is that this is not a Philo issue because AT&T TV has the exact same issue after fast forwarding a DVR recording as Philo and only on the 2020 Ultra. All my other devices are running version 9.4.0 build 4200. The 2020 Ultras (2) are both on 9.4.1 build 4222 and that is when the problem started. The 2020 models worked fine until that software update. 

REALspiffy
Level 9

Jump to solution

Philo said to me the same thing. I posted their entire response, then immediately opened a ticket with Roku. They said Roku had the fix and was expected to release it the end of first quarter. The ticket I opened was not I have an issue, it was, why is this fix delayed for the flagship model? I will start contacting them daily.

urbnsr
Level 9

Jump to solution

I can imagine Philo (and others stream providers) being confronted by their source about the fact that users can FF through advertising. Because we notice a problem with only the newer Ultra player might be simply that we are the unintended beta testers for changes coming to all players which would prohibit an attempt to FF at all. Maybe they just didn't get it completely right... yet.

Just a thought, because it is as if someone (Roku? Philo?) are not too quick to fix our complaints.

MasterGreig
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have Philo and Discovery +.  When Philo freezes after a FF  I can exit Philo and open Discovery+ and everything on discovery+ is in FF mode and will not stop.  Now it's pull the plug on Roku. I even upgraded to a new Roku box and it's still the same. Think it's time to dump Roku and go to Prime again.  All my Roku is ethernet hard wire. none are WIFI.