Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CordCutter2020
Level 8

Fast Forward and Rewind Freezing in Philo Requires Reboot

Jump to solution

I have a new 2020 Ultra. When I try to fast forward or rewind shows, mostly in Philo, it will work sometimes and other times it freezes permanently and I have to reboot to clear it. This does not happen on my new Streaming Stick+ on another TV so I figure it is an issue with the Roku Ultra. It will just go to a black screen, no sound and the buffering circle spins in the middle. I have waited as much as 15 minutes to see if it will clear but then I just got to system and restart to clear it.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Fast Forward and Rewind Freezing Requires Reboot

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We believe this issue is resolved. We would recommend checking for a manual update for your device to see if you can update to OS 9.4.1 build 4236. For more information about how to check for a manual update, visit our Support page here: How do I update the software on my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
77 Replies
urbnsr
Level 9

Re: Fast Forward and Rewind Freezing Requires Rboot

Jump to solution

We have the same thing going on. Didn't seem to notice this issue until recently, but we're fairly new to Roku. Only notice this with Philo. When it seems frozen, about the only thing we can do is get back to the Home screen. If we then go back to Philo and play the program we were watching, it just does the same thing. We also need to reboot and then we can continue watching. When we continue after reboot, the program is at the position we FFrwd or backed up to.

I need to try starting a different program in Philo when this happens to see if it is the program only that is affected or the channel, itself. I checked for updates, but nothing new. I believe the Roku Ultra auto updates, but wasn't sure if Philo (or any channel) auto updates or at least notifies of an update.

We don't have other devices to know if the issue is related to the Roku or not. Just two Rokus and they both do this.

Additional:
  It seems that this only starts with a freeze in Philo and then we cannot watch any channel. We can bring the channels up, but nothing actually streams. I have removed Philo, rebooted and added Philo back, but no change.

brnyfrktmsk
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. Only starts with Philo. But if I try to use other apps afterwards I’ll experience glitches until I do a restart. Only started happening in about the last week. 

Kristin2
Level 9

Jump to solution

I have been having the exact same issue on Philo with the new Roku Ultra.  I even did a factory reset, and it didn’t work. 

Kristin2
Level 9

Jump to solution

Also in answer to your other question, I do believe it is a software issue on the Roku or an issue with the Philo app on Roku.  I have Philo installed on my Sony Smart tv, which is Android system and it works fine on there.

tweetart
Level 7

Jump to solution

I also  have this problem on my new Roku 2020.  Don't have the issue on my Roku 2019

tel2
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have the same issue with freezing after fast forwarding.  At first I though it was because I hit OK instead of play after I did the fast fwd but seems to happen either way.  Very frustrating and it started about a week or so ago.  Not sure if this is a Roku or Philo TV issue.  Did not have this problem on my Roku 3.  

Just purchased the Roku Ultra about a month ago.  

urbnsr
Level 9

Jump to solution

As I mentioned earlier, I'm fairly new here, but it looks like we confirmed the issue(s) down to specific hardware and channel. So, are we just talking amongst ourselves or does Roku support frequent these forums? Is there a way to file a bug report?

Kristin2
Level 9

Jump to solution

I chatted with someone from Roku through here, and he said since I had done a factory reset they would do an investigation into the issue.  I would also hope that they would monitor these to see what issues their customers are experiencing.  

REALspiffy
Level 9

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem. I have the latest ultra. Freezing after ff. Clearing cache on roku let's it play again, but doesn't fix the problem.