Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Psilobite
Level 9

Fandor... anyone at the wheel? Unable to renew or update payment info

Jump to solution

I had subscribed to the Fandor Roku channel last year (November 2018), for one year. I can't remember for certain how I subscribed but I'm pretty sure I did it on their website.

My credit card expired in May 2019.

When my subscription came up for renewal this year, I received an e-mail from them saying I needed to update my payment info.

The problem is, I can't. When I went to their site and logged in, there was an "update payment" link, but it returned an Internal Server Error message when I tried to put my updated billing info in.

So far, they are not replying to e-mails, messages via Twitter, messages via Facebook, and their support link on their site redirects to a "site not found" message from support.desk.com.

I am posting this message here because I have no idea where to go from here. Does anyone have any similar experience or advice?

History:

11/20/19 I receive an automated e-mail from support@fandor.com saying my payment info needs updated or my account will be cancelled. I try to update the payment info and the fandor.com site returns "Internal Server Error, Ooops! Something broke. Please wait while we re-thread the projector. If the problem persists, please contact support@fandor.com." I tried three different browsers, two different ISPs, cookies and cache cleared, no ad-block. Same results.

11/21/19 I send a reply to support@fandor.com with the above info asking for help.

11/22/19 No response, I re-send the reply.

11/27/19 Receive the same automated email from 11/20/19.

11/28/19 Again try to update payment info, same results as from 11/20/19, Internal Server Error. Reply again explaining the situation and asking for help.

11/30/19 Receive automated e-mail from support@fandor.com saying, "We attempted to contact you several times about your Fandor membership, but we were unsuccessful. Your membership is now expired because we haven’t received updated payment information from you. If this happened in error, click here to re-subscribe." The link (https://www.fandor.com/users/xxxxxx-xxxxxx) now has no place whatsoever for me to enter any payment info or re-activate my subscription.

!!!!!!!!!!!???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12/02/19 Re-sent reply again to both support@fandor.com, info@fandor.com, @fandor_help on Twitter, and on Facebook. Their support link which is help.fandor.com redirects to http://support.desk.com/system/site_not_found.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Psilobite
Level 9

Re: Fandor... anyone at the wheel? Unable to renew or update payment info

Jump to solution

OK, looked into this a bit further.

According to Wikipedia, "In September 2018, Larry Aidem stepped down as CEO with Chris Kelly taking over as CEO. Fandor subsequently failed to get a round of funding to secure its financial obligations. In December 2018, the company laid off its entire staff and the assets were sold to an undisclosed investment firm."

I just checked, and if you go to Fandor.com and try to subscribe as a new user, on the page where you select yearly or monthly options and enter your payment information, they have removed the button to proceed. So, there is indeed no way to even subscribe to the channel any more. It does appear that whoever owns the assets now just left the site and content online, and removed any ability to process any payment.

It is still possible to subscribe to Fandor's Amazon channel, which is probably the best way to access the content (for now). There is also a "Fandor Spotlight" subscription on the Roku Channel but I don't have any experience with that (with regard to number of titles available, etc.).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

[post moved to appropriate board]

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

I'd recommend continuing to reach out to Fandor directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform is developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. 

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Psilobite
Level 9

Jump to solution

OK, looked into this a bit further.

According to Wikipedia, "In September 2018, Larry Aidem stepped down as CEO with Chris Kelly taking over as CEO. Fandor subsequently failed to get a round of funding to secure its financial obligations. In December 2018, the company laid off its entire staff and the assets were sold to an undisclosed investment firm."

I just checked, and if you go to Fandor.com and try to subscribe as a new user, on the page where you select yearly or monthly options and enter your payment information, they have removed the button to proceed. So, there is indeed no way to even subscribe to the channel any more. It does appear that whoever owns the assets now just left the site and content online, and removed any ability to process any payment.

It is still possible to subscribe to Fandor's Amazon channel, which is probably the best way to access the content (for now). There is also a "Fandor Spotlight" subscription on the Roku Channel but I don't have any experience with that (with regard to number of titles available, etc.).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos