Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Facebook Video (cast) and/or Screen Mirroring - Corona Virus era (Android or Windows - MS Surfac

Jump to solution

Slide your Galaxy screen down from the top twice, to show all your phones settings like Wifi, Bluetooth, Airplane Mode etc.  Then slide it to the right, you should see Location, along with that is 'Smart View'. You'll choose that. Also on the Roku goto Settings > System > Screen Mirroring.  They should ask you if you want to sync up.  Not sure it's available on all Roku's. Let me know how you make out.

Kjstech
Streaming Star

Re: Facebook Video (cast) and/or Screen Mirroring - Corona Virus era (Android or Windows - MS Surfac

Jump to solution

I will try with my wifes old samsung galaxy edge 7.  My primary device is an iPhone XS Max.  I even downloaded the apple TV app for Roku to make it like an Apple TV, but I still can't AirPlay my phone to Roku with or without the Apple TV app open.

So I'll try it on the galaxy.  Glad we never threw it out.  Its a wifi only device the kids toss around on occasion.

0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have a Galaxy 8 so differences might be nuanced but looks like 7 edge should work:

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/galaxy-s7-how-do-i-display-content-from-my-samsung...

• 1 Swipe from the top of the screen to the bottom to open the Notification Panel.
  • 2 Touch the View More icon to open the Quick Settings Panel.
  • 3 Touch Smart View.
  • 4 Available screen mirroring devices will be detected. ...
  • 5 The devices will attempt to connect. .

y2kdeuce
Channel Surfer

Facebook WATCH App / Channel

Jump to solution

https://www.facebook.com/help/1871313656439201?helpref=uf_permalink

Is this FACEBOOK's failing or ROKU's?  As a consumer, I am the loser.  As a SHAREHOLDER I am perplexed, and concerned.  Please advise.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Facebook WATCH App / Channel

Jump to solution

@y2kdeuce wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/help/1871313656439201?helpref=uf_permalink

Is this FACEBOOK's failing or ROKU's?  As a consumer, I am the loser.  As a SHAREHOLDER I am perplexed, and concerned.  Please advise.

I don't believe there's been a functional Facebook channel for Roku for many years. I can't say if Facebook dropped support, or some other developer had created one and Facebook told them to pull it as it wasn't an authorized channel, or something else. The page you linked doesn't list Roku as a supported device. You'd have to take that up with Facebook. Roku themselves only created and support two channels: The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player. Everything else is offered by 3rd parties. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Bakeapple

Jump to solution

It really sucks that Roku hasn't stepped up in the wake of this virus, and allowed us to watch the many live broadcast that are on Facebook.

atc98092

Jump to solution

@Bakeapple wrote:

It really sucks that Roku hasn't stepped up in the wake of this virus, and allowed us to watch the many live broadcast that are on Facebook.

Roku does not create the channels available for their devices, other than The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player. Facebook has to either create the channel or support someone else to do it. To my understanding, there used to be a 3rd party that created a Facebook channel, and it was removed due to the threat of legal action by Facebook, as they didn't authorize it. You have to take it up with Facebook, not Roku.

By the way, I tested screen sharing to my Ultra 4640 from a Windows 10 computer yesterday and it worked fine. So at least that's one way to get Facebook video on your TV via a Roku.

Dan

doorjam
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Can you please provide more detail on how you did that?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@doorjam wrote:

Can you please provide more detail on how you did that?

If you are referring to me, it's using a Windows 10 laptop. Click the Notification icon at the right end of the toolbar, then select Project. I'm not on the laptop right now, so going by memory. In the list that appears, at the bottom it says something about a wireless display. When I clicked that, all my Roku and Shield players, along with my Smart TVs appeared in a list. I selected the Roku Ultra, on the Ultra screen I accepted the connection, and the laptop screen was on the TV via the Roku. I could even set it as a separate display, so I could have something different on the TV screen from the laptop, same as if I had two monitors connected to the laptop.

Note that I believe this requires a laptop to work. I don't see the same ability to connect to a wireless display on my desktop computers. 

Dan

Jump to solution

Really Karen?

0 Kudos