Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rated-R-Ron
Level 7

Facebook on Roku?

Hi,

Got a new TCL TV and can’t find the Facebook app anywhere?
I find it really weird cause it is on Amazon fire and I figure it should be on Roku as well?
Any advice?
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Facebook on Roku?

Use the Fire for services that don’t have a Roku app.

Not being a smartass. That’s seriously what you do. Use a different device if one doesn’t have an app for something.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

The reason your Amazon Fire easily has Facebook is because Fire OS is basically Android, and as you know, Facebook is an app on Android.

Roku's OS is primarily built for streaming apps.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

There was a Facebook app for Roku years ago, but it was just for photos and videos from what I remember, can’t recall when it was removed.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 8

"Rated-R-Ron" wrote:
Hi,

I find it really weird cause it is on Amazon fire and I figure it should be on Roku as well?
Any advice?

I have been waiting for the Facebook Video/Watch app as well to be available on Roku as I am a sportswriter and Facebook has done a real good job lately of acquiring rights for content. I primarily cover Boxing and a lot of promoters have been streaming their cards via Facebook over the last two or so years. For now, the best you can do is use a separate device, but I would also reach out to Facebook as well and request the app be made available on the Roku platform. Given Roku's popularity and being the top streaming device and platform available, I too find it odd that Facebook Video isn't on Roku as of yet. I have tried reaching out to Facebook about this, but I haven't had much success. Maybe if enough people (Because I'm sure there's more than a few of us who want the app on Roku for various reasons.) get on Facebook and request it, it will be added. Requesting to Roku is also good, but Roku is simply the platform and the only way to get an app on Roku would be to reach the content provider/developer. 

I hope they (Facebook) get an app on Roku soon as I am also likely to buy a TCL TV before the end of the year and it would be nice, though I don't expect to be upgrading every televisoon in my home at once, if I didn't have to switch devices as much depending on what I need to cover. In fairness, as OTT is more and more becoming the standard for television distribution and consumption, things have considerably improved as far as overall access to services compared to when I first got familiar and ventured into streaming technology many years ago now. One thing I quickly learned is even though I prefer Roku and recommend it first and foremost before other devices/platforms for various reasons, it's good to keep an eye on what's available on the market depending on what one wants and/or needs. Hopefully, the day will come where almost anything is available on Roku, though Roku does a solid job with what they offer as it is.

Best of luck to you.
0 Kudos
Rated-R-Ron
Level 7

"bvd1022" wrote:
"Rated-R-Ron" wrote:
Hi,

Any advice?

I have been waiting for the Facebook Video/Watch app as well to be available on Roku as I am a sportswriter and Facebook has done a real good job lately of acquiring rights for content. I primarily cover Boxing and a lot of promoters have been streaming their cards via Facebook over the last two or so years. For now, the best you can do is use a separate device, but I would also reach out to Facebook as well and request the app be made available on the Roku platform. Given Roku's popularity and being the top streaming device and platform available, I too find it odd that Facebook Video isn't on Roku as of yet. I have tried reaching out to Facebook about this, but I haven't had much success. Maybe if enough people (Because I'm sure there's more than a few of us who want the app on Roku for various reasons.) get on Facebook and request it, it will be added. Requesting to Roku is also good, but Roku is simply the platform and the only way to get an app on Roku would be to reach the content provider/developer. 

I hope they (Facebook) get an app on Roku soon as I am also likely to buy a TCL TV before the end of the year and it would be nice, though I don't expect to be upgrading every televisoon in my home at once, if I didn't have to switch devices as much depending on what I need to cover. In fairness, as OTT is more and more becoming the standard for television distribution and consumption, things have considerably improved as far as overall access to services compared to when I first got familiar and ventured into streaming technology many years ago now. One thing I quickly learned is even though I prefer Roku and recommend it first and foremost before other devices/platforms for various reasons, it's good to keep an eye on what's available on the market depending on what one wants and/or needs. Hopefully, the day will come where almost anything is available on Roku, though Roku does a solid job with what they offer as it is.

Best of luck to you.

Considering the immense popularity of TCL TV's which I believe is the # 1 best selling TV in the US (at least according to what I read) and yes, Roku devices as well, it's baffling and mind numbing how something like freakin' Facebook isn't on it! I can't believe it... Like huh? Seriously...Facebook! What?!?! Facebook!!!!
I contacted Roku and they also told me to contact Facebook. Don't see why Facebook wouldn't want their app on the most popular streaming platform. Go figure. It's stupid beyond words.
Makes me wonder what other apps are on Fire that aren't on Roku. Roku should have everything!
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"Rated-R-Ron" wrote:
"bvd1022" wrote:
"Rated-R-Ron" wrote:
Hi,

Any advice?

Best of luck to you.

Considering the immense popularity of TCL TV's which I believe is the # 1 best selling TV in the US (at least according to what I read) and yes, Roku devices as well, it's baffling and mind numbing how something like freakin' Facebook isn't on it! I can't believe it... Like huh? Seriously...Facebook! What?!?! Facebook!!!!
I contacted Roku and they also told me to contact Facebook. Don't see why Facebook wouldn't want their app on the most popular streaming platform. Go figure. It's stupid beyond words.
Makes me wonder what other apps are on Fire that aren't on Roku. Roku should have everything!

Read my first reply again..

Facebook is an Android app.. the operating system that Amazon Fire devices run on is pretty much Android, which is the same thing half the phones and tablets in America run. Facebook doesn't hace to even write a new app for the Amazon Fire devices because it just works.

Roku's OS on tbe other hand is not conducive to apps that use web browsing technologies, and Facebook would have to reinvent the wheel to create a Roku app. It's much more difficult as Roku's OS was originally made JUST for streaming video.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
Rated-R-Ron
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
"Rated-R-Ron" wrote:
"bvd1022" wrote:
"Rated-R-Ron" wrote:
Hi,

Any advice?

Best of luck to you.

Facebook is an Android app.. the operating system that Amazon Fire devices run on is pretty much Android, which is the same thing half the phones and tablets in America run. Facebook doesn't hace to even write a new app for the Amazon Fire devices because it just works.

Roku's OS on tbe other hand is not conducive to apps that use web browsing technologies, and Facebook would have to reinvent the wheel to create a Roku app. It's much more difficult as Roku's OS was originally made JUST for streaming video.

1-The Facebook *IS* a video streaming app. That's what it does and that's it's called "Facebook Video"
2-It's all excuses. Unfathomable that the #1 social media platform isn't represented on the #1 streaming platform in America in 2018. Unfathomable and mind boggling.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

I don't miss it. It was a terrible channel, if you ask me, when it did exist.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 8

"Rated-R-Ron" wrote:
"jeffrok" wrote:
"Rated-R-Ron" wrote:
"bvd1022" wrote:

Best of luck to you.

1-The Facebook *IS* a video streaming app. That's what it does and that's it's called "Facebook Video"
2-It's all excuses. Unfathomable that the #1 social media platform isn't represented on the #1 streaming platform in America in 2018. Unfathomable and mind boggling.

I don't think it has to do with excuses as much as it might have to do with possible revenue sharing agreements with other devices. I'm not familiar with FB's business strategy as far as their streaming app, but I would assume since they are trying to compete for things like sports rights and things of that nature to stream via their platform that their plan might be to eventually move toward a digital PPV tier for things like Boxing and other content. Not sure what the revenue split would be with the devices that have the app on their respective platforms if anything, but I'd assume that there is probably a financial reason or reasons why Facebook video hasn't been available on Roku yet. I think it is baffling that they wouldn't want to launch on the number one streaming platform available, but I'm viewing it from the outside. I wish I knew more info on this.
0 Kudos