Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

FOX NEWS REMOVED WTF

Why did Riku remove Fox news and don't tell me to go through my cable provider bc then why WOULD I NEED ROKU ALSO ... NETWORK ERROR IN HULU.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 15

Re: FOX NEWS REMOVED WTF

Most Roku channel apps, Fox News Channel included, are created, provided, and maintained by the channels themselves. The channels themselves decide the conditions they wish to apply to who can receive their programming.

After seeing a similar complaint here last night I installed Fox News Channel to check it out. Fox is now requiring a provider account to view beyond a short ten minute preview.

Under Settings > About it lists what you can do with the app. Note that now there are two items with asterisks. They are:

- Watch Fox News Channel without a cable box*

- Catch up on episodes of your favorite Fox News shows* or watch FREE highlights.

The footnote below says:
* US Only, TV Provider login required

From the outrage I'm seeing expressed, I assume this was not the previous policy. Keep in mind Fox has now built this into the latest update to their app, and it is not something instigated by Roku. Roku just supplies the platform on which the Fox app is run, and is no more responsible for this change than your television is. You should be directing your outrage to Fox, not Roku.

Cable stations generally derive only part of their income from advertising, the rest comes from a portion of the subscription fees viewers pay to TV providers that carry the channel. Many allow streaming of their content to those who are already paying for access via a provider subscription. It sounds like Fox has decided to quit giving US streaming viewers a free ride.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted

All of a sudden, I can't get Fox News Channel

Last night, all of a sudden I couldn't get Fox News Channel Live on my Roku TV. Today, I still can't. I keep getting the message that I need to log in with my provider, which is Frontier. I don't know if this is Roku doing this, or Frontier. Can anyone help me, please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Even adding my provide information I still get an error message and live stream won’t work. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Just ten minutes ago I order FOUR Amazon Fire Sticks.  I have noticed for over the last month plus I have had numerous problems watching Fox News.  Why does this not happen with ANY OTHER APP.  I highly suspect politics involved.  Roku will say no, but I don't really buy it.

It's too bad because I really liked Roku.  The other day I borrowed my neighbor's fire stick when I was having all kinds of problems trying to watch Fox News live - kept having errors and re-booting.  Today I couldn't even connected with any of their pre-recorded programs.

Roku keeps saying that they worked a deal with Fox, but that is NOT what I am reading elsewhere.

So when my fire sticks arrive and I set them up (in my house and at my office), I will be throwing all the Roku gadgets in the trash.  Sure, I could give them away.  But then Roku still benefits.  

Sorry Roku.  I'm gone.

Highlighted
Level 7

I’m an Idiot. What does the amazon fire stick do??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Good bye Disney. Good bye fox I guess it’s time to turn off the tv. We put up an antennae..yep..the old type. And get the 3 main networks plus PBS. Guess that’s enough ...we’ll start exercising , walking more.going to Paris, having friends over and play games and visit, enjoy wine parties, bicycling, working in garden...etc. etc. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

This comment appears to ignore the point that people buy Roku because of the streaming channels available through it, including FOX News.  If desired channels become unavailable people will no longer buy a Roku device.  So, it is not appropriate to tell people to direct their anger at Fox rather than Roku.  If Roku wants to keep/acquire customers it must do what is necessary to acquire/retain desired channels.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Fox News lost again

A while back we lost Fox News and received an email from Roku regarding efforts to restore it.  Apparently it was restored and we have been watching it until the past couple of days where, once again, it demands we enter our network subscriber - which we do not have, relying solely on Roku streaming channels for Fox News.   So, is this re-emerging situation being addressed?

0 Kudos