Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jameshedm88
Level 7

External HDD (cloud) with Roku Premier Plus

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help me with this problem.
I have a Roku Premier Plus connected to my Rogers Ignite Cable internet router (thru the router's USB port).
I have logged on to my Internet router's Admin portal and can see the USB storage device as ENABLED:
attached an image of my setup to give you a visual idea. All I want is to access my external HDD through my ROKU Premier Plus I just need to know what App can do this (and how).
Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: External HDD (cloud) with Roku Premier Plus

Your Router needs to have DLNA server on it. If not, then you need to use another PC to setup a DLNA or Plex Server on your home network, and connect the HDD to it, be it via USB on the PC or Network mapping the HDD to the PC and having DLNA or Plex read from that. Highly recommend Plex, so you can have media transcoded to Roku compatible formats. DLNA will limit you to what kinds of files Roku will play.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Can you map your drive as a drive letter on your PC, and then in Plex, point your media to that drive?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

You say something that doesn't make sense. You say you connected your Roku to your router via USB? That doesn't accomplish anything, as the Roku is not a storage device, and your Premiere + doesn't even have a USB port. Could you clarify how your Roku is connected to your network, and what is plugged into the router USB port?
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jameshedm88
Level 7

"trekkeriii" wrote:
Your Router needs to have DLNA server on it. If not, then you need to use another PC to setup a DLNA or Plex Server on your home network, and connect the HDD to it, be it via USB on the PC or Network mapping the HDD to the PC and having DLNA or Plex read from that. Highly recommend Plex, so you can have media transcoded to Roku compatible formats. DLNA will limit you to what kinds of files Roku will play.
0 Kudos
jameshedm88
Level 7

Hi Trekeriii, I think I responded to your suggestion, however since I cannot see my response on this board, I am going to repose my response here.
My external HDD is plugged in to the back of my internet router's USB port. My ISP is Rogers and the modem router they provided me is a Hitron.
I am able to login on my smartphone, launch a web browser and go to the router's admin portal, where I can see my external HDD under USB Storage as ENALBED. It also shows me it's address as: file:\\192.168.0.1\diska1 
And I can even fire up my laptop and map a network drive using the above info, which gives me access to my external HDD nicely.
My problem is that my goal is to view my hard drive's media using my ROKU and TV ONLY, I don't want to use any computers or have the need to have a computer ON. And at the moment ROKU's default Media Player App cannot seem to see my external hard drive, even though that it is plugged in to the internet router and is ENABLED, seems that the Hard drive is not DLNA enabled. I don't know how to make it DLNA enabled or if its the router that needs to be DLNA enabled I don't know how to do that either - that is without having to have a computer running every time I want to access my media.
hope that clarifies my situation a bit...
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"jameshedm88" wrote:
Hi Trekeriii, I think I responded to your suggestion, however since I cannot see my response on this board, I am going to repose my response here.
My external HDD is plugged in to the back of my internet router's USB port. My ISP is Rogers and the modem router they provided me is a Hitron.
I am able to login on my smartphone, launch a web browser and go to the router's admin portal, where I can see my external HDD under USB Storage as ENALBED. It also shows me it's address as: file:\\192.168.0.1\diska1 
And I can even fire up my laptop and map a network drive using the above info, which gives me access to my external HDD nicely.
My problem is that my goal is to view my hard drive's media using my ROKU and TV ONLY, I don't want to use any computers or have the need to have a computer ON. And at the moment ROKU's default Media Player App cannot seem to see my external hard drive, even though that it is plugged in to the internet router and is ENABLED, seems that the Hard drive is not DLNA enabled. I don't know how to make it DLNA enabled or if its the router that needs to be DLNA enabled I don't know how to do that either - that is without having to have a computer running every time I want to access my media.

Since your Modem/Router is provided by your ISP, they should be able to tell you if DLNA works or not. Also, if your media is mostly AVI files, then they won't work on Roku without Plex. Suggest you look into either a separate powerful Network Attached Storage device capable of Plex or DLNA, getting Roku with USB, or use the Computer.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"jameshedm88" wrote:

James, you didn't specify your modem model, but I did a quick search for a Hitron modem and found a CGNM-2250. If that's your modem, it does have a built in DLNA server. However, I'll be surprised if your modem DLNA server would support transcoding. Therefore, all your media has to be in a Roku compatible format. Basically this means the video must be encoded in MP4/H.264/H.265, audio must be aac or ac3, and the container must be MKV, MP4 or a TS (either .TS or .M2TS). 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jameshedm88
Level 7

websiteof the actual manufacturer under features it says: Integrated DLNA Media Server with support for video, audio and image serving. As for the media format, I am not too concerned there, because all my media on that external HDD are all mp4 mostly which the ROKU can read.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

OK, sounds like you just need to enable the DLNA server. Then the Roku Media Player should see it as an available network source. I found a manual online for the CODA-4x8x modem, which should cover your modem. However, it makes no mention about supporting DLNA, and isn't even listed in the index. I agree their web site says it has it. The manual I found is labeled Version 1.0, dated 11/2016. Perhaps there's a newer version. I just can't find the information to help guide you.
Dan
0 Kudos