Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bco
Level 7

Excessive ads

I have a fairly new Roku stick in a guest room TV.  I recently purchased a new router that blocks most ads and threats.  Even though the guest room TV has not been used for months, the router’s stats show that over 2,000 ads have been blocked on the Roku after just a few days.  Is it normal for the Roku to produce so many ads and, if so, wouldn’t that large number have a negative impact on my network?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Excessive ads

Roku themselves only offer ads when you're viewing the home screen. Those ads cycle every time you return to that screen. For a device not in use, I wouldn't expect it to have a count like that. I'm wondering if your router is mis-labeling the Roku online communications (it does check for updates daily, and as mentioned the home screen does show ads) as possible ads. 

Now if you've left a channel streaming (say YouTube for example), even if you're not watching it there could be ads being sent. If a channel was left streaming 24/7, I could see an ad count that high. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Bco
Level 7

Well, the router labels the device’s manufacturer as ‘Roku, Inc.’ and since I only have one Roku then I have confidence in the labeling.  I will check to ensure that I am leaving it on the Roku home page before powering the TV off to see if that makes a difference.  Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Roku doesn't make routers, so you're reading that name from your Roku player. Your router could be from dozens of different manufacturers, such as Cisco, Actiontec, D-Link, and many others. That's where the wireless radio settings will be found. 

Hopefully just ensuring you're on the home screen when not watching something is all it takes. Smiley Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Bco
Level 7

No you misunderstood.  My router shows the device in question is made by Roku, Inc. so that is how I know which connected device is my only Roku. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

So the router is indicating the device with the blocked ads was made by Roku, right? That's in a screen somewhere in the settings interface. When you said label I was thinking the label on the outside of the router case. 

I'm not doubting the streams blocked were being directed to the Roku. Here's hoping that ensuring the Roku is on the home screen whenever you aren't watching anything drops those ad streams. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Bco
Level 7

So as a test, I plugged my Roku back in and made sure that it was on the home page and then turned the TV off.  In less than 24 hours, 1,294 ads had been blocked.  This seems pretty excessive.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

I agree, and I have no idea why it's doing it. But that doesn't seem right. 

Dan
0 Kudos