Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
User117

Error: An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected

Experiencing this error with Disney+.

Honestly, this is the most useless error message I have ever seen. I know it’s best practice to keep error messages ambiguous, but this is literally useless as Roku customer support. Roku CS says talk to Disney, Disney CS says talk to Roku. Roku moderators on here only ever respond with “uninstall, restart, reinstall”.... like for real? 

Returning this POS if I can’t resolve it in the next day or two. 

35 REPLIES 35
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Error: An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected

@User117

Thanks for the post.

Are you seeing this error message only on the Disney+ channel? If so, you will need to contact the channel provider for further assistance. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Disney+ support here: https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?lang=en-us

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
LookinForAnswer
Reel Rookie

Re: Error: An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected

I have this exact same problem on all my Roku sticks!  Specific content on Disney plus won't play on my Roku, but will play just fine on my Android phone or my computer.  Seems like something up with Roku, but none of the standard trouble shooting helps.  Has anyone resolved this issue?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @LookinForAnswer,

Thanks for the note.

If the issue is only with the channel alone, this is a good indication that there is likely an issue within that specific channel that will need to be addressed with an update from the channel publisher. Channels on Roku are created and maintained by each channel publisher. In this case, you'll want to reach out to that channel publisher directly to share your feedback. 
You can reach their support team here: https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_index

Thanks,
Mary

0 Kudos
LookinForAnswer
Reel Rookie

I figured out the problem and it didn't have anything to do with Roku or Disney Plus.  Turns out my new wireless mesh system has some odd wireless configuration that was interfering with the Roku streaming of sporadic Disney Plus shows.  I had to switch back to my non-mesh network router for just my Roku sticks and everything is working fine now.  Still not sure what the specific settings are on the mesh causing the problem, but sure would be nice if Roku had some technical guidance to help consumers.

0 Kudos
smoran411
Reel Rookie

I solved this same problem by opening the Disney Plus app, click settings menu, then app settings and I changed the data usage setting from automatic (or high data usage) to moderate data usage. 

Bjanemcg

Same problem with NBC. ROKU is very disappointing 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hello @Bjanemcg

Thanks for the post. 

Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device? Have you tried removing the channel then re-installing it back in? In some cases, that resolves the issue. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  2. Restart your Roku device: If it is inconvenient to reach the power cord to unplug your Roku device, you can restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

If you are still unable to play videos from NBC after attempting the suggestions above, videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help.

You can reach out to NBC Support here: https://www.nbc.com/contact-us

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
kedawei

Happening right now for Heartland Vets. I've had this happen before on popular shows like Loki last week.

One work around is to cast from the Disney Plus on a phone or tablet to the Roku.

0 Kudos

It’s all the Roku I have hbo max crashing and Disney plus crashing! Apps works fine on my other devices. The customer service said there apps are fine. The whole problem is a Roku problem fix it! It’s bs I have 2 Tony’s with the same problem but works on other TVs other and iPads iPhones. So how do we fix this!!!