Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeFromMesa1
Level 8

Error: 504

Can anyone tell me what an Error 504 is?

I recently added Discovery+. We watched it for about a week before we went on a short trip and when we got back I get an Error code 504 when I try to watch something on it.

All of my other streaming works fine, so it is not the internet connection. I have rebooted my Roku (Model 4670X - Roku Ultra) but it did not make a difference. I first thought perhaps there was an issue subscribing to Discovery+ but my Roku account shows it as being subscribed, and I could not find an email address for sending a support request to Roku itself. And the only option my account gives me concerning Discovery+ is to cancel the subscription.

Anyone have any idea what this might be?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: Error: 504

Have you tried contacting Discovery+?  I have no idea how to do that; just asking.  The error code is coming from their channel/app, I assume.

0 Kudos
MikeFromMesa1
Level 8

Yes, I did ask Roku support, but got no answer as of yet.

I first posted here because originally I could not find any email address for Roku support,so I had no way of asking them. However when I Googled "Roku support email" I found their address and sent them the same question I posted here. So far I have not gotten any answer.

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

I said Discovery+ support, not Roku.  You're very unlikely to get any useful information from Roku.

0 Kudos
MikeFromMesa1
Level 8

You are absolutely correct, and I am sitting here wondering why I sent a support request to Roku instead of discovery+.

I have now sent a support request to the proper place and will see if I get a response. Thank you for your post.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@MikeFromMesa1 

Thanks for the posts.

As @renojim mentioned, we would recommend contacting Discovery+ support for further assistance with your issue. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
MikeFromMesa1
Level 8

Finally heard back from Discovery+. Their first response just told me to uninstall and reinstall the app and told me nothing about the error code. When I responded asking specifically about the error code they told me that it referred to the inability of the app to properly receive content from the server and that it was a networking issue.

Whatever the networking issue was, it had nothing to do with my local internet signal since I could stream from any other app on my Roku, but since the app started streaming properly about an hour after I first received the signal I will probably never know the real issue.

Thank you for reminding me that I needed to be contacting Discovery+ and not Roku. 

0 Kudos
Fishface
Level 8

Moral of the story:  when in doubt, either reboot or uninstall/reinstall.

0 Kudos