Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Enough is enough already, time for a change

After several years of being a Roku user I have had enough.  From units that were not all that old no longer being able to run new channel apps, to squabbles with content providers delaying the app being available (Peacock, HBOMax, etc.) to my screen saver always being changed to promote something, to my play button becoming hijacked and launching something else when I return to my TV, to the potential loss of my main content provider, YouTube TV, I am calling it quits.  

Claims that the price of the units will increase because of technical requirements such as AV1 are ludicrous.  Roku customers want and need support for the latest technology.  We don’t even get remotes that work with our soundbars.  The comments of the Roku CEO read like the rankings and name calling of someone that has no grasp on reality.  

Make your own choices and decisions. I have switched to another hardware platform and will be selling my Roku’s on Craigs List.

0 Kudos
31 REPLIES 31\
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Enough is enough already, time for a change

@Anonymous wrote:

After several years of being a Roku user I have had enough.  From units that were not all that old no longer being able to run new channel apps, to squabbles with content providers delaying the app being available (Peacock, HBOMax, etc.) to my screen saver always being changed to promote something, to my play button becoming hijacked and launching something else when I return to my TV, to the potential loss of my main content provider, YouTube TV, I am calling it quits.  

Claims that the price of the units will increase because of technical requirements such as AV1 are ludicrous.  Roku customers want and need support for the latest technology.  We don’t even get remotes that work with our soundbars.  The comments of the Roku CEO read like the rankings and name calling of someone that has no grasp on reality.  

Make your own choices and decisions. I have switched to another hardware platform and will be selling my Roku’s on Craigs List.

Some of your complaints/criticisms are valid, others not so much.

Regardless, I suggest keeping your Rokus around if for no other reason than to implement a multiplatform streaming strategy (yes, you need/want one) due to app carriage/compatibility/functionality/usability differences (e.g. its often the case that the Roku/FireTV app versions are the most functional/usable).

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are welcome to your own opinion. All of my statements are what is important to me and that is all that counts.  There is no valid reason for me to support different devices.

StreamerUser

@Anonymous wrote:

You are welcome to your own opinion. All of my statements are what is important to me and that is all that counts.  There is no valid reason for me to support different devices.

Not sure what you mean by "support different devices" (perhaps you meant use different devices), but you yourself already mentioned a valid (and key) reason: app carriage and functionality differences.

Not all apps are carried on all devices, and all apps dont have the same functionality or behavior on all platforms (or subplatforms) they run on.

With multiple platforms, you can choose the "best of breed" app experience.

That's the key reason for a multiplatform streaming strategy.

StreamerUser

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was referring to different platforms.  I did my research and I do not need multiple platforms.

OwnerofDevices
Level 10

Right this second you might not need another device, but in the future there will be disputes that will effect your current device replacement for your Roku devices. I purchased an Android TV based device from Verizon for a non-smart TV, just to give it a try. I don't like the Android TV's interface as well as Roku's interface. But, buying from two or three different manufactures will only help protect you in the long run. I am not even a YouTube TV subscriber. Perhaps, someday I will be ready to go with YouTube TV on my device that I purchased from Verizon.  

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

* This post has been deleted.

StreamerUser

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not subscribe to the belief of needed many platforms, not now, not ever, and that is not an idea that is helping the streaming market.  The majority of users want one platform, period.  I’ll go back to just reading first.

Amazon and Google kept at it until they came to an agreement.  The only one that seems to have constant disputes is Roku.

App carriage/compatibility/functionality/usability differences for different platforms/subplatforms isnt a belief, its a well established fact - and what you or I think users want has no impact on that extant reality.

Not all streaming devices are equal (not even within the same platform; e.g. look at all the different Roku models), not all streaming services are equal (NetFlix isnt Prime), not all streaming service subscriptions are equal (NetFlix single device SD isnt NetFlix quad device UHD), not all streaming service apps are equal (NetFlix on a 4800 isnt the same app as NetFlix on the 2710 app) - nor will any of them ever be.

Just as an FYI, Amazon and Google "kept at it" for a year and a half over YT/YTTV/Prime.  And Amazon only recently came to terms with NBCUniversal over Peacock TV less than a month ago - a year after it launched. 

By contrast the current Roku and Google YTTV dispute (just YTTV - not over YT, not over The Roku Channel) has been ongoing less than 3 months.  The Roku and NBCUniversal dispute over Peacock TV lasted less than 3 months.

The Amazon+WarnerMedia HBO Max dispute lasted less than 6 months; the Roku+WarnerMedia HBO Max dispute lasted less than 7 months.

Amazon never even had an agreement with Spectrum - they could never even come to terms in the first place.

If an objective informed non-agendized nor willfully ignorant person were to compare the streaming market competitors (Roku and Amazon) given those facts, it is instantly obvious that of the two (Roku and Amazon), the company that is far more willing to negotiate and come to terms - and sooner rather than later - is Roku.

But in your "carriage dispute belief system" (emphasis on belief), Amazon is the more reasonable company (an inversion of actual extant reality).

At least we have a good idea who the maker of the "another hardware platform" is relative your "carriage beliefs" - just remember: carriage disputes can/do impact all streaming platforms (regardless of "carriage beliefs") and even when they dont, app/service functionality differences exist otherwise, and this is why you need a multiplatform streaming strategy.

StreamerUser

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your opinions are noted.

StreamerUser

@Anonymous wrote:

Please keep you opinion to yourself and kindly stop replying to my posts.

I'll take that as a concession of the aforementioned facts.

This is an open user-focused forum, which is how you were/are able to express your opinion (as non-fact based as it is), and others were/are able to respond (including myself).   If you dont like expressed opinions, its probably not a good idea to express them yourself, and/or you can ignore them, or respond to them, as you see fit.

Demanding others not reply to them is pointless.

StreamerUser

0 Kudos