Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Endless and pointless re authentication

We have a basic Roku.  We purchased it a couple years ago and it has been wonderful.  We use it to access our cable channels on demand rather than watching them on the tv's schedule.  Our cable company is Blue Ridge Communications. 

For the past couple months, three channels (Animal Planet GO; Syfy; History Channel) have required endless re authentication.  So I get a new code, sign out of the cable, put in the code, sign back into the cable, etc, and the authentication takes on the computer, but it still doesn't work or transfer to the Roku on the tv.  (we don't have a tv gifted with roku. we have a device.)   
 We have signed in and out of the cable provider.  we have unplugged and plugged in again the roku device.  We are stumped.  this doesn't make sense.  We have a toddler who LOVES her animal planet, and a ten year old who loves her Syfy and History channel.  we only have one tv (if that helps)
   Anyone else out there have these problems?  any advice?  is the roku just going?

help!    Please and thank you.  

rebecca

0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Endless and pointless re authentication

I don't use any of these cable channels, but something in your description I'm not following. With the apps on your Roku, the authentication is done on the Roku, not a computer. Unless they do something I'm completely unaware of, the codes are entered in the Roku, not a computer. But if I have it wrong, I'll shut up and let someone else assist.  Smiley Very Happy 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

"atc98092" wrote:
I don't use any of these cable channels, but something in your description I'm not following. With the apps on your Roku, the authentication is done on the Roku, not a computer. Unless they do something I'm completely unaware of, the codes are entered in the Roku, not a computer. But if I have it wrong, I'll shut up and let someone else assist.  Smiley Very Happy 

I think she means there's a Roku authentication thag has to happen on the cable company's website, and after the cable company's website gives the 4 letter code, it's entered on the Roku to "link" them. This used to be how all channels worked, including Netflix and Hulu. I believe you can still authenticate those the old way or new way (just entering the credentials using the Roku screen).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Try logging on to your cable company’s Website. Then log out. Close your browser. You may even want to reboot the computer next; the goal is to ensured you are fully logged out of your cable Website and all existing browser sessions are terminated.

Next, log in to your cable provider. Open a new tab, then go to the Roku.

Remove those apps. Reboot the Roku. Don’t skip that step.

Now, add one of the apps back. Pick one you’ll use soon and often. Go through the Authentication process.

If it works, add another app.

By the way, which Roku? Include the model number.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

"rebecca_the_red" wrote:
 We have a basic Roku.  We purchased it a couple years ago and it has been wonderful.  We use it to access our cable channels on demand rather than watching them on the tv's schedule.  Our cable company is Blue Ridge Communications. 

For the past couple months, three channels (Animal Planet GO; Syfy; History Channel) have required endless re authentication.  So I get a new code, sign out of the cable, put in the code, sign back into the cable, etc, and the authentication takes on the computer, but it still doesn't work or transfer to the Roku on the tv.  (we don't have a tv gifted with roku. we have a device.)   
 We have signed in and out of the cable provider.  we have unplugged and plugged in again the roku device.  We are stumped.  this doesn't make sense.  We have a toddler who LOVES her animal planet, and a ten year old who loves her Syfy and History channel.  we only have one tv (if that helps)
   Anyone else out there have these problems?  any advice?  is the roku just going?

help!    Please and thank you.  

rebecca

I can not say with certainty, but some of this may be a combination of your Internet Service Provider and a particular Roku app on whether or not the SINGLE SIGN ON feature of Roku will give you access without repeated re-authentication requests. SINGLE SIGN ON works best with ISP's and Roku Channels that have made a commitment to supporting it. Unfortunately, some ISP's don't see the value in making this an easy seamless process for its customers.

See the link below to Roku Support page that discusses authentication and SINGLE SIGN ON.
Roku SINGLE SIGN ON Feature

One suggestion might be to REMOVE the offending apps from your Roku and then do a system restart (SETTINGS -- SYSTEM -- POWER - SYSTEM RESTART) and then re-install the apps and go through the authentication process once more. Perhaps this could help in getting you an authentication cycle that is not as intrusive as you described above. 
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos