Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philsoft
Level 8

Easy Video Encoding For RoksBox

This is what I have found to be the EASIEST way to create compatible files for the RoksBox app on the Roku DVP. There may be ways that will give a higher quality, or 5.1 sound, but this way is the simplest I have found.

Start by going to http://www.leawo.com/dvd-to-mp4-converter/ and downloading the Free DVD to MP4 Converter. The default installation worked fine for me.

Run the program and under "Profile" go to "Common Video" and choose "MPEG4 AVC Video Format"

Put your DVD into the drive and click the down arrow next to "Load DVD" and choose your DVD drive.

In the bottom Text box, click the little yellow folder and select your output folder (this is where your converted video will be placed).

Click the big round button with the swirling arrow to begin the encoding process.

It will take some time to encode the video, but the quality is quite acceptable. If you would like more control over the encode, please support the author of the software and purchase the Pro version for around 25 bucks.
0 Kudos
43 Replies
robertm
Level 7

Re: Easy Video Encoding For RoksBox

How does it handle subtitles and television DVDs?
0 Kudos
philsoft
Level 8

"robertm" wrote:
How does it handle subtitles and television DVDs?

I don't know about either of those, but it does let you select "Titles" so if the episodes are defined as titles it should be fine with that.
0 Kudos
moviegeek65
Level 7

MPEG Streamclip is another good one:
http://www.squared5.com/
0 Kudos
robertm
Level 7

With my AVI ripper I know I can embed subtitles. What is the difference between AVI and MPEG4? I really don't know much of anything about this stuff.

Without having to read a big thread does roksbox support album artwork?
0 Kudos
philsoft
Level 8

"robertm" wrote:
With my AVI ripper I know I can embed subtitles. What is the difference between AVI and MPEG4? I really don't know much of anything about this stuff.

I am not sure the DVP will play the AVI files. I know AVI is just a wrapper, but the DVP is pretty particular about the files it will play, MP4, MOV, and WMV as I recall.

It supports poster art from the videos and audio.
0 Kudos
robertm
Level 7

"philsoft" wrote:
"robertm" wrote:

I am not sure the DVP will play the AVI files. I know AVI is just a wrapper, but the DVP is pretty particular about the files it will play, MP4, MOV, and WMV as I recall.

Which of the ones it will support are best? I own a copy of Winx DVD Ripper Platinum. Apparently it does all of those formats.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"robertm" wrote:
"philsoft" wrote:
"robertm" wrote:

Which of the ones it will support are best? I own a copy of Winx DVD Ripper Platinum. Apparently it does all of those formats.

Roksbox will show the Title, Poster Art, Actors, Description (synopsis), Length of Time, Rating, and Director.

The Roku DVP in general will support MP4, M4V, MOV, and WMV. It won't support AVI or MPG. Most people probably use MP4.
0 Kudos
robertm
Level 7

What I am trying to do is find the best format that also works on my WD Live (for travelling) and would work on boxee so I only have to rip these one time for whichever solution I end up with. I consider quality more imporant that size.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"robertm" wrote:
What I am trying to do is find the best format that also works on my WD Live (for travelling) and would work on boxee so I only have to rip these one time for whichever solution I end up with. I consider quality more imporant that size.

I'm the developer or Roksbox, but I haven't had much time to spend on experimenting with video encoding because I have been spending most of my time on development. Maybe someone who has experience with encoding videos for the Roku DVP can give us some guidelines on the best way to encode videos. It would be nice to know which settings we should use to get the best quality video that will run on the Roku DVP. Of course, it could also depend on the speed and reliablity of our individual networks, although most of us probably run at 100mbps. Those who run wirelessly might have more difficulties too.
0 Kudos