Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bvd1022
Level 9

ESPN+

Hi,

I am subscribing to ESPN's new standalone digital network ESPN+ this morning. From what I know ESPN's respective apps are supposed to be updated today and the new digital network that is not a part of ESPN's authenticated service that allows access to the ESPN Networks from a participating TV provider subscription will be integrated into the new update. I was wondering since I didn't see Roku on the list of available devices, if anyone knew if the update will extend to Roku via Watch ESPN or if Roku is going to get the more recent ESPN app?

Thanks
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Tekneek
Level 7

Re: ESPN+

Presumably they plan to support it at some point, but it is not currently listed as a supported device and searching the site does not indicate when or if it will be.

https://support.espn.com/hc/en-us/artic ... d-devices-
0 Kudos
Blu
Level 7

I came to ask about this, too. Had to use my Amazon FireTV today to enjoy ESPN+.
0 Kudos
Tekneek
Level 7

Supposedly it will come on April 24th, which is the day that MLS viewers will no longer be able to use the MLS Roku channel.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

I was able to sign up this morning. It took me a few times to get my subscription processed, but I assume the system wasn't up when they first put the advertising up for subscriptions. I am a Boxing writer and this new network is going to feature cards on a consistent basis. This is what drew my interest for obvious reasons. I have noticed the ESPN apps have not updated yet so hopefully, it will be done over the weekend. I also got word yesterday that the UFC is about to announce a split rights agreement with both ESPN and NBC as they are likely to leave Fox in terms of their non PPV and non Fight Pass digital network content so I will give ESPN credit, their really jumping in with this network.
0 Kudos
Tekneek
Level 7

It is live on the Roku now, w/ an update that was issued yesterday. 
0 Kudos
BeerBikesBBQ
Level 7

"Tekneek" wrote:
It is live on the Roku now, w/ an update that was issued yesterday. 

I've seen this announced, but when I search in the channel store I don't find it. (This is on a TCL Roku TV, I'm not sure if those use a different channel store than standalone Roku devices.)
0 Kudos
Tekneek
Level 7

The new ESPN Roku channel replaced the previous WatchESPN on all of my Rokus.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Yep. It's just an updated (although large update) to the existing app.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"Basil" wrote:
Yep. It's just an updated (although large update) to the existing app.

This is the more recent ESPN app. From what I understand, ESPN is gradually phasing out the WatchESPN branding and making their OTT streaming app a one-stop place for all things ESPN. I've been enjoying the content so far. Should make my job covering some of the Boxing cards that take place outside of the U.S. a little easier. Much easier to get things done when you know well in advance what is going on and what is being offered by a particular network and in the case of international events, who has U.S. TV/streaming rights.  
0 Kudos