Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bclements
Level 7

ESPN says no account returned from upda

Just got my first Roku, a 4 a month ago. Everything has worked fine. I've been watching men's and woman's basketball on the ESPN3 app.Tonight I tried to watch a game and it came up "unable to play video 0066: no account returned from upda." I tried at least a dozen other games and they all came up with the same error message. Ideas?
0 Kudos
18 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: ESPN says no account returned from upda

"bclements" wrote:
Just got my first Roku, a 4 a month ago. Everything has worked fine. I've been watching men's and woman's basketball on the ESPN3 app.Tonight I tried to watch a game and it came up "unable to play video 0066: no account returned from upda." I tried at least a dozen other games and they all came up with the same error message. Ideas?

Was the game also on one of the subscription ESPN channels? If so, did you authenticate (or sign out and reauthenticate) against a cable/satellite/SlingTV service with that ESPN channel?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
bclements
Level 7

I signed in with my Directtv account when I first set it up. The game was not on here locally. Actually the game was over and I was trying to watch it on replay. And again I tried at least a dozen other games and they all came up with this error.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"bclements" wrote:
I signed in with my Directtv account when I first set it up. The game was not on here locally. Actually the game was over and I was trying to watch it on replay. And again I tried at least a dozen other games and they all came up with this error.

Some content providers require reauthentication from time to time. It varies from provider to provider. I don't know how long DirecTV goes before requiring it again, or if it varies from location to location.

So, back to the sign out and reauthenticate part of my question. Your response doesn't say you tried that, and, in fact, indicates you didn't. Do.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
gkl
Level 7

"bclements" wrote:

I had the same thing happen a couple of months ago. If I recall, I had to reboot the Roku. Either that or I had to re-authenticate, maybe both. In any event, once I did so, everything returned to normal.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos
Coltsmith22
Level 7

All you have to do is go to the settings in the espn app sign out, then close app reopen and sign back in with your cable provider no need to take any other steps
0 Kudos
gpsit
Level 7

As the previous poster stated.
1. Go to settings on ESPN Watch.
2. Deactivate it on the pull down menu.
3. Go back to your home page.
4. Select ESPN Watch app again.
5. It will ask for you provider. Complete like the first time and authorize.
ESPN requires Roku users to do this on occasion so people are not viewing ESPN without paying.
Enjoy your game.
0 Kudos
marckras
Level 7

I don't see how to access Watch ESPN setting on the Roku TV (I've done the fix several times on my laptop.) Do I have to cancel and reload the channel?
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

It happens with most apps that require authorization from a participating pay-TV (Cable/Satellite) provider, every few months you have to reactivate the logins because they are on a time cycle where the logins expire over a certain period of time. It is a pain, but it is something that needs to be done as a why of trying to prevent piracy if you're the content provider. I use more than one device not just Roku so if I'm going to be using a device for longer than a day or two, I need to go through and activate whatever cable/satellite apps I want to use. Takes me about fifteen minutes for each device, but it's neccessary for reasons already mentioned. 
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

It's not clear what the OP is asking. Isn't there an Activate/Deactivate Live TV option at the bottom of the main screen or are you asking about something else?
0 Kudos