Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Raine5
Level 7

ESPN requiring a sign in to a cable network

I recently paid for a subscription to ESPN and watched one game but when I went back on to watch another one it is now asking me for a cable provider sign-in.  I don't have cable through my provider, I only have wifi through them because I stream from Roku.  Am I able to stream this channel without a cable provider?

Your help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
Strega
Level 17

Re: ESPN requiring a sign in to a cable network

I don't use ESPN myself but it seems to be a complicated thing where a single app allows access to multiple types of ESPN subscriptions, including the "TV anywhere" style content (ie: content provided to people who have a cable-type subscription), and ESPN Plus content which is separate subscription. 

Apparently, the app allows you to be signed in to either or both, and neither subscription alone gets you access to all ESPN content.  A page I found on the ESPN site says: "ESPN Plus content will be marked with a gold ESPN Plus badge. TV Everywhere and other content will not have a gold badge."

Davenlr
Level 9

Linear ESPN channels i.e. ESPN, ESPN2 require a cable or streaming subscription to watch those channels, and an ESPN Plus subscription does not give you access to them either.  AS far as I know, the cheapest way to watch ESPN and ESPN2 is Sling Orange at $35/mo.

HDMIGuy
Level 13

@Raine5 wrote:

I recently paid for a subscription to ESPN and watched one game but when I went back on to watch another one it is now asking me for a cable provider sign-in.  I don't have cable through my provider, I only have wifi through them because I stream from Roku.  Am I able to stream this channel without a cable provider?

Your help is appreciated.

Just for clarity you paid for a subscription to ESPN Plus.  As indicated by the previous responses an ESPN Plus subscription does NOT give you access to linear channels such as ESPN, ESPN 2, and ESPN U.  To receive the linear channels you need a cable, satellite, or streaming provider such as YouTube TV, Hulu with live TV, or Sling TV.  To quickly find ESPN Plus events open the ESPN App and select the ESPN Plus tab in the middle of the top row.  This will show only ESPN Plus events.

0 Kudos
Raine5
Level 7

Thank you!! I subscribed to watch the college that my son is attending The, football game and the odd part is that I was able to watch one game on it and then when I went back in the next week, it asked me to log in to my service provider and now it's no longer asking for that but is asking for an activation code. I'm canceling the subscription. Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos