Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESPN app error - live content fails to load

I’ve been having issues with the Roku version of the ESPN app for some time on my Roku Ultra. It works ok sometimes, but rarely works during higher usage times (I.e. big football games). I can’t load a single football game this evening (9/8/18) without receiving “Error ignored” after attempting to “retrieve” content. Same thing happened during the college football playoff earlier this year. My chromecast and other devices worked fine at that time.

The first response will likely be an ESPN app/server blame game. However, I can play the content without issue on my phone, my PC, my Fire TV, and my Chromecast. The issue lies somewhwere with Roku (and perhaps their interaction with ESPN).

I’ve removed the ESPN app, rebooted the Roku Ultra, added the ESPN app, logged in to ESPN app again, but still have the same issue. I have a 50Mbps connection with no other devices streaming or online, so bandwidth isn’t a concern. I’ve noticed that recorded content on ESPN will load, so the issue appears to be with live content.

Can the Roku team investigate and provide some feedback? Surely I’m not the only person with the issue.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
hodgey12
Level 7

Re: ESPN app error - live content fails to load

I'm having the same issue. It just says "Error Ignored" when any live game is attempted to be loaded for viewing.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 11

"santeriasmooth" wrote:
The first response will likely be an ESPN app/server blame game.  However, I can play the content without issue on my phone, my PC, my Fire TV, and my Chromecast.  The issue lies somewhwere with Roku (and perhaps their interaction with ESPN).

Yep.  ESPN provides the app, which has to be written for EACH device, or at least each operating system.  The fact that it works correctly on other devices is not really relevant. 
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos

If the ESPN app works well on all other platforms, then I consider it a Roku issue. I get it that ESPN may provide the app, but Roku is arguably the dominant streaming platform. As such Roku should throw engineering resource at the ESPN problem to assist in resolution.

And if that isn’t possible, either due to ESPN or Roku, then Roku needs to step up and pull the ESPN app from their channel store. That way consumers can at least purchase the streaming device that meets their needs. Fix the issue or be transparent about it not working.
0 Kudos