Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AngryCustomer2
Level 7

ESPN+ and Disney+ not working

I have been going back and forth with Roku for weeks now. I have the Hulu bundle with ESPN plus and Disney plus. Three weeks ago ESPN and Disney both stopped working on all my Roku devices. So let’s trouble shoot, shall we? Ok, my subscription is still active. Hulu works fine and I can watch ESPN and Disney on my computer, cell phone and xifinity box. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I have tried the system reset. My Rokus are all up to date. My internet connection is excellent. Roku can not fix it. They keep telling me the same thing. They just keep repeating the steps I’ve listed above. I’m furious with them. Their customer service is awful and their IT or Technical department is a JOKE! They just repeat the same thing the customer service girl says every time. I have been so happy with Roku since I started using it. To the point where I have FIVE devices in my house! But they have lost a customer in me now. It’s absolutely ridiculous that they can’t figure this out

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10\
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ESPN+ and Disney+ not working

You didnt mention any specific error messages or behavior:  "not working" isnt specific enough.  Describe "not working" in specific detail.

You also didnt mention any of your Roku model #s or firmware versions:  Settings/System/About

"Up to date" is meaningless since Roku uses model-specific builds, limited releases, staggered releases, regional releases.  You actually have to state your firmware version(s).

When re-installing an app, its important to RESTART after removing your app, and before reinstalling: 

1) Remove app

2) RESTART the Roku:  Settings/System/System restart/Restart

3) Re-install app

Its not clear what "system reset" you tried (there are potentially several):  Network connection reset, Factory Reset, Restart (as a "reset"), etc.

Its known that Disney/Hulu/ESPN have had some service outages/limitations on their end, and have also been blocking IP addresses/POPs (points of presence).  The fact that you can access via your PC/phone/other device seems to negate this, but have you contacted them to find out for sure?  You arent the only Roku user to report this, and its entirely possible its a Roku-specific service issue.

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
MilesT
Level 10

Also, do your Roku devices use different WiFi to your other devices?  Do your other devices use VPN software?  Either might be causing issues..and it may be anti fraud features at the Disney end that are tripping up.  Some streaming services limit the number of devices on the account to stop password sharing.

0 Kudos
Nino67
Level 7

I am having the same issue and have yet to figure out how to get this fixed.  Disney+ support told me that my internet is to slow but ESPN and Disney+ are the only apps that are not working on my ROKU.

I've tried all the steps I could think of and noting fixes the issue. Restarting, uninstalling etc..

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

@Nino67 wrote:

I am having the same issue and have yet to figure out how to get this fixed.  Disney+ support told me that my internet is to slow but ESPN and Disney+ are the only apps that are not working on my ROKU.

I've tried all the steps I could think of and noting fixes the issue. Restarting, uninstalling etc..

You might consider that Disney+ support may be right.

What download speed are you paying for from your ISP?

What does your Roku device (model # and firmware unknown) report as your internet download speed? 

1) Settings/Network/Check network connection  then

2) Settings/Network/About/Internet download speed=  ??

When you say "not working" can you be more explicit/detailed?

StreamerUser

0 Kudos
Nino67
Level 7

2) Settings/Network/About/Internet download speed=  15 mbps.  That seems real low since I am paying for up to 400mbps

The error message I get when trying to start the Disney+ app is "Something went wrong.  Please try again"

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

You might want to state your Roku model # and firmware version:  Settings/System/About

If I had to guess you have an Express model connecting via 2.4Ghz, perhaps at a distance from your wireless modem/router/gateway or with a lot of interference.

Try changing the 2.4Ghz channel to 1, 6, or 11 and the size/bandwidth to 20Mhz and disable any "B" mode compatibility (do this via the configuration pages of your modem/router/gateway).

StreamerUser

Nino67
Level 7

My Roku model is 3700X - Roku Express

Software version - 10.0.0 Build 4209.28

I tried changing the channels but still not able to get the Disney+ or ESPN app to work.  It does seem to be an issue with my netgear router.  Much slower speeds coming out of my router.

Any other thoughts as to what it might be?  Do I need to purchase a new router?  Or do a factory reset?

I have a Netgear R7000 router

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

Try:

1) Uninstall app, RESTART Roku, reinstall app - try again

1) Manually configuring your display:  Settings/Display type/1080p TV - try again

2) Turn modem/router/gateway firewall off/low - try again

3) DMZ your Roku - try again

4) Contact Disney+/ESPN make sure they aren't blocking your IP/POP.

StreamerUser

0 Kudos
Nino67
Level 7

Did not have any luck with doing all those things.  I'm at a complete loss as to why I can't get ESPN and Disney+ working.  Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos