Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobmiles
Reel Rookie

ESPN Plus has hijacked my Roku

My Roku streaming has been hijacked.  I have a Roku device and remote.  Last night I switched to Roku and the home page, with all my channels appeared.  Within seconds another screen pops up showing ESPN Plus (which I do not subscribe to). 

I am unable to move within this screen, i.e., up/down/left/right arrows don't work and I cannot back out of the screen.  Further, I cannot switch back from streaming to my TV.  I have to turn everything off and turn them back on.  I am then able to watch my TV, but when I switch to Roku streaming the same scenario as described above occurs, that is, the Roku home screen comes on and within seconds a new screen pops up, ESPN Plus and my ROKU freezes up.

I have unplugged the power and the other Roku connections on my Roku device and then re-plugged it with no luck.  I have no idea what is going on and how to fix this situation.

6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ESPN Plus has hijacked my Roku

@bobmiles 

Likely, some control mechanism is launching the ESPN app. By "control mechanism," that would probably mean somebody has connected to your device, either on your network, on nearby, close enough to access  your Roku.

First, I'd suggest restarting the Roku. Pull the power. You didn't say which device you have -- always provide the model number and Roku software version from Settings > System > About -- so I'm unsure how difficult it will be to get to the power cord.

Once the power is pulled, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in.

When the Roku boots up, navigate to the ESPN app and remove it.

This will solve the immediate issue, but is not the fix. It's just a step that should get you control of the device. ESPN Plus is a service you access via the ESPN app. No app, no ESPN Plus activity.

If it tries to prompt you to install the ESPN app, you then know that someone is trying to launch it and play ESPN Plus, and it's going to your Roku.

There is a way to turn off control of the device via apps, but I'm away from my Roku and can't tell you with certainty how to do that. You may be able to locate it in the menu system, once you get control of the Roku back.

Once that's turned off, the Control Mechanism (someone else's app or remote) won't be able to act.

If you still get ESPN Plus showing with the ESPN app removed, then the Control Mechanism is using AirPlay2 or Miricast to mirror on your device. You'll want to disable that, too.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
renojim

@bobmiles, do you have an ESPN button on your remote?  Is it stuck?

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
bobmiles
Reel Rookie

My device is a 3900X.

I cannot follow your recommendation because I can no longer get to the Roku home page.  When I switch from TV to streaming I immediately get an ESPN screen which then changes to the ESPN+ screen.  I cannot move through that screen.  In fact, once that screen pops up I cannot do anything with my video system, e.g., cannot switch to TV, cannot turn anything off, etc. I have to unplug everything, and if I want to get to TV, I have to leave the 3900X device unplugged, otherwise, the system opens up directly to the ESPN screen.  I am so frustrated.

I changed my password but that doesn't help.

Is it possible that my 3900X has failed and I need to get another receiver?

One other clue, maybe.  When I'm at the ESPN+ screen, when I click on my remote, e.g., the up and down arrows, home button, etc., nothing happens.  However, a short time later I get a very delayed sound related to the remote click, but other than the delayed clicks, nothing happens.

PS:  the ESPN button on my remote is not stuck.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@bobmiles 

Try to eliminate the Roku remote as the issue.

Remove batteries from Roku remote (leave them out) and try to use the official Mobile Roku Remote App from the Play/Apple Stores.  Restart the Roku by unplugging/plugging back in.  Connect the Mobile app to the Roku and then try navigating the menus.

If able to navigate normally, then possible remote issue.  Try removing the ESPN app using mobile remote.  Then restart and attempt to use your physical Roku remote again.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Davidxxxx

So Ruku must be at fault here. simply because I have the same thing happening to my Roku TV. ESPN over writes the TV. And takes controll over it. Why hasn't Roku try to fix this. 

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@Davidxxxx  Roku doesn’t develop the ESPN channel, nor the ESPN +.  The Walt Disney Company (through American Broadcasting Company) in the US and Hearst Communications in other countries do.  Therefore, it is actually up to the latter two companies to fix the issue.  You also may need to contact either ESPN Support, or Disney themselves.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos