Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trevor_Bartram
Streaming Star

Re: ESPN Plus 'Media Not Allowed'

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply. So you have an ESPN cable subscription through Spectrum and ESPN Plus and you are still getting "Media Not Allowed" messages on your Roku? If I have that correct, you could try logging out of ESPN Plus and then logging back in to see if that clears the situation. I tried that with no luck.

But what I have found is the frequency of "Media Not Allowed" messages varies during a tennis tournament. At the start of a tournament there are few messages, at the end of the tournament semi-finals and finals are always blocked.

For tennis there is no advantage to having ESPN Plus, ESPN Plus allows access to the noname matches that I don't care about anyhow, so I canceled my subscription to ESPN Plus.

It's interesting that AppleTV behaves differently, that may be a coincidence that the two apps are coded differently and AppleTV allows more content through.

Jump to solution

This continues to be a problem with me and only on ESPN Plus. Between that and having to log in a new 'activation' code every time I want to watch the channel...I am kinda done with it. Hassles aren't my thing. If they're the only ones who can't figure it out. They can figure it out without me...or not. Meanwhile, just tried the 'remove' channel and unplug system so I could continue watching 'the Last Dance.' Media not allowed popped up again. Bullcrap. It worked one time and I watched a few episodes, but no luck now. 

0 Kudos
SRome
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I totally agree radamrussell. I bought an AppleTV about a month ago for my Roku Insignia TV. Now I do not have this problem.  ESPN app and ESPN Plus works for me every time.  I never get the “media not allowed” message.  I only had to login once to enter my spectrum credentials and AppleTV applied it for ESPN app to work and ESPN Plus.  I’ll never use Roku again.

0 Kudos
SRome
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes Trevor. I have ESPN because my HOA includes it in our Charter Spectrum cable package.  I have ESPN Plus because I pay for the Hulu, Disney Plus, and ESPN Plus bundle separately.  All of these work great on my Apple TV, no problem.

On my insignia TV that has Roku built in, the ESPN app “live shows” work great. On my Insignia TV with Roku built in, the Spectrum App usually works great and when it does not I reset the app and it begins to work again.  On my insignia TV with Roku built in ESPN Plus does not always work.

I often get the “media not allowed” message. Yes the procedures in this thread like deleting the ESPN app and reloading it and resigning in again sometimes work, but it is a band aid and the “media not allowed” comes back.  

Through my experience this is a Roku problem. I do not have this problem with AppleTV, so I bought another Apple TV and connected it to my Insignia TV that has Roku built in and I do not get the “media not allowed” message anymore.

0 Kudos
Trevor_Bartram
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies. So Roku or Roku registration at Disney Plus/ABC/ESPN/ESPN Plus is the problem. Timely, we tried logging into the Roku ABC app this week (haven't used it in a long time, used to use it frequently) with no success, probably all part of the same problem!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@radamrussell76 

Thanks for the post.

I'd recommend reaching out to ESPN directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform is developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. 

You can reach them here.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
aleishman

Jump to solution

So my ESPN Plus will not work after I was just charged for my annual subscription through Roku.  After I took the suggestion of Roku to contact ESPN directly, I spoke with a person on the phone. 

The ESPN representative stated that she has no record that I have an account for ESPN Plus.  SO back and forth through email with Roku for a week now.  Their last email recommended that I cancel my subscription through Roku and purchase the subscription through ESPN.  The problem with that is that Roku has a no refund policy, so....now what do I do?  Save your money and don't get anything through Roku.  

0 Kudos
C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Trevor_Bartram wrote:

I changed from ESPNwatch to ESPN Plus recently because the ESPNwatch content on my Roku 3s via Charter Spectrum (internet only) had dwindled, with frequent "Media Not Allowed" messages when trying to access content. Now the same thing is happening with ESPN+. I emailed ESPN support but have received no reply. I phoned Charter, the tech suspected the fact that I had entered Charter Spectrum in the Provider box was confusing the system, so I changed to the default but I'm still getting the "Media Not Allowed" message. I have questions:

1. Has anyone else encountered this problem with ESPN+ and have a solution?

2. Does it take a while for Roku or ESPN to recognize changes made, should I wait a day and retry?

3. Is this a Charter, ESPN or Roku 3 problem?

Thanks, Trevor.

You need to pay for ESPN Plus It is not free- it costs $4.99 per month.  But you can watch all other ESPN networks on the ESPN app on Roku as long as you have a cable or satellite system that it can be linked to on Roku, which is most or all cable or satellite systems. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@aleishman 

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend reaching out to our Support team for further assistance. Please reach out to our support team directly here for your 'Account or billing' issue, here. They will be able further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Trevor_Bartram
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hi Danny,

I see you've posted several times, so thanks for the offer of support. If tennis resumes and I try ESPN Plus again, if I encounter the same problems I'll contact support.

Kind regards, Trevor.

0 Kudos