Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jprebish

ESPN 'Media Not Allowed', authentication issue

Jump to solution

I've been trying to access ESPN app through Roku for days without luck.  It is not an ESPN Plus channel, it is ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3, ACCN - all which are accessible through my cable subscriptions. 

It works on the computer, on the smart phone, but not on Roku.  Both ESPN and Cable Provider say it's Roku.  If not solved soon, I am returning Roku and trying either Firestick or Chromecast.  So frustrating!!!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EnviroAg96
Reel Rookie

Re: ESPN 'Media Not Allowed', authentication issue

Jump to solution

I've been struggling with the same issue on my Roku 3 and TCL Roku TVs.  I have all ESPN channels and SEC Network via my cable subscription but want to watch college baseball on Roku on the ESPN app.  Never had a problem with SECN+ streams but suddenly tells me “Media not allowed”.

I logout, remove channel, reinstall channel and login fresh with my Comcast Xfinity credentials, still does not work...but works fine on my phone. ESPN app.

Here is the solution: When authenticating via ESPN.com\activate, your Roku gives you a code to enter, then my Xfinity credentials always automatically authenticated from my phone.  Even though it says success, it won’t work.  You have to remove the credentials from iPhone settings > Tv Provider then do private web browsing option on Safari, THEN go to ESPN.com/activate, enter the code from your Roku, then it should not automatically authenticate.  Enter username and password for your TV provider then it works.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Jump to solution

Did you ever figure this problem out? The same thing is happening to me.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

First, confirm you have a service that includes ESPN as part of the TV package: cable, satellite, or streaming service. If not, that's your problem.

If you do have such a service, and you are able to authenticate the app against it, and you're still getting that message, we need to verify a couple of things. What is your Roku model number? What is your Roku OS (Settings > System > About)? That may impact suggestions on resolving.

By the way, have you tried the following? It's three steps, and all three are required, and this is the only correct order to do them:

1. Remove the app
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Reinstall the app

If you haven't tried that, do so.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
EnviroAg96
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've been struggling with the same issue on my Roku 3 and TCL Roku TVs.  I have all ESPN channels and SEC Network via my cable subscription but want to watch college baseball on Roku on the ESPN app.  Never had a problem with SECN+ streams but suddenly tells me “Media not allowed”.

I logout, remove channel, reinstall channel and login fresh with my Comcast Xfinity credentials, still does not work...but works fine on my phone. ESPN app.

Here is the solution: When authenticating via ESPN.com\activate, your Roku gives you a code to enter, then my Xfinity credentials always automatically authenticated from my phone.  Even though it says success, it won’t work.  You have to remove the credentials from iPhone settings > Tv Provider then do private web browsing option on Safari, THEN go to ESPN.com/activate, enter the code from your Roku, then it should not automatically authenticate.  Enter username and password for your TV provider then it works.

Mwoj
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

You finally solved this problem for so many of us. I’ve had to is problem for months and Roku only had a standard “pass the buck” response. Well done sir!

KyBlue
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Did what you recommended in 1,2 & 3.  But when I try to watch a current game (Not ESPN Plus, plan ESPN) I still get Media Not Allowed.  If I use RUKU/YouTube TV to go to the actual "live" channel, no problems.

Very Frustrating, did not have this issue with cable.

Anything New?

Tony

0 Kudos
EnviroAg96
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The only other thing that I have found that helps is to turn off the Wi-Fi on my phone when I authenticate. But that is because I have Xfinity Wi-Fi and Xfinity cable so it would sometimes automatically authenticate. And I would have to fake it out by logging in just through cellular Internet. I don’t think that will help you but that’s the only other advice I have.

0 Kudos
MS_NOLA

Jump to solution

Thanks for that tip. I tried signing in to my provider account over wi-fi and it didn’t work. Signed in over cellular and bingo! Up and running. Go figure. 

0 Kudos
mrsc1990

Jump to solution

I have the same issue when I try to watch ESPN+. It asks me to pick my service provider.  I don't have cable or satellite. I only use roku channels and hulu, netflixs.  Am I missing something? Do any of these offer ESPN.  I can't seem to find it so I guess I won't be able to watch ESPN+.  Could you confirm?

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@mrsc1990-

There are really two issues here:

ESPN - Requires "TV Provider" account

Cable-type channels like ESPN want to be paid. When you have a paid subscription to a "tv provider" service that carries these channels, they receive their pay out of the subscription fees you pay that provider. When you don't have a subscription to such a provider you are not paying for those channels.

Many cable-type channels, again like ESPN, make their content available for streaming via a so-called "TV Everywhere" channel app for those paying for the channel through a provider as mentioned above. Without a paid TV provider account, you can't stream ESPN broadcasts.  That service doesn't have to be a bloated cable or satellite service however. There are several services you can subscribe to and run on a Roku that may carry the channels you are interested in at a lower cost than a cable or satellite subscription. Ones that come to mind to check out for any particular channel would include:

• Hulu plus Live TV
• Sling
• philo
• Directv Stream (the new name for the former AT&T TV)
• YouTube TV
• fubu
• vidgo
... there may be others.

There are several places on the net where you can look up which streaming providers carry a particular channel of interest. Here are several such pages:

https://thestreamable.com/channels
https://www.groundedreason.com/cord-cutting/tv-streaming/how-to-stream-by-channel/
https://suppose.tv/ (thanks to @DBDukes for this one)
• .. and again, there may be others

Savings in cord cutting usually come from picking and choosing which of the offerings you wish to pay for instead of paying for full blown cable or satellite services with scores of channels you never watch.

ESPN+

ESPN+ is an extra cost service that give access to live games and other programs not carried by the normal ESPN family of cable services.  ESPN+ broadcasts are accessed via the regular ESPN channel app but it does NOT give access to the regular non-ESPN+ content unless you have a tv provider as discussed above.  You can subscribe to ESPN+ directly for $6.99/month or $69.99/year.  You can also get ESPN+ as an add-on to Hulu for the $6.99/month, or it is also available bundled with Disney+ and Hulu for $12.99/month.

See the ESPN+ page for more information.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos