Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

ESPN Is Launching a Monthly Streaming Service.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/espn-lau ... 40442.html

Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Officer Robert Iger doled out more tidbits Tuesday about the ESPN streaming service he’s introducing in the next few months, including its price: a relatively modest $4.99 a month.

For that, ESPN+ customers will get thousands of live events annually, including pro baseball, hockey and soccer, as well as tennis, boxing, golf and college sports not available on ESPN’s traditional TV networks. The service will debut along with a new, streamlined version of the ESPN app, which will include greater levels of customization. Fans will not only be able to indicate their favorite teams, they’ll get stories and other content that match their viewing history.

I find it a bit interesting. It may be part of the sports answer cord cutters have been wanting.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: ESPN Is Launching a Monthly Streaming Service.

Now is I could just pay for my local Fox Sports affiliate so I could watch local home baseball games, I could really ditch cable...
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/espn-launching-monthly-streaming-apos-151140442.html

Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Officer Robert Iger doled out more tidbits Tuesday about the ESPN streaming service he’s introducing in the next few months, including its price: a relatively modest $4.99 a month.

For that, ESPN+ customers will get thousands of live events annually, including pro baseball, hockey and soccer, as well as tennis, boxing, golf and college sports not available on ESPN’s traditional TV networks. The service will debut along with a new, streamlined version of the ESPN app, which will include greater levels of customization. Fans will not only be able to indicate their favorite teams, they’ll get stories and other content that match their viewing history.

I find it a bit interesting. It may be part of the sports answer cord cutters have been wanting.

This has been in the works for a while. What I like about it is it will offer exclusive content not offered on ESPN's cable networks plus on demand. As someone who covers Boxing full time, I am interested as to what this will mean for the sport. Hopefully, it will create more options for promoters particularly those who operate outside of the U.S. to get their cards and talent more exposure over here. This is another game changer no doubt about it.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

A down side is that it doesn't include the standard ESPN or ESPN2 services. Those would still require authentication against a cable/satellite/streaming provider.

Another other down side is that Roku wasn't mentioned.

Still, this might be a step in the right direction.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"Basil" wrote:
A down side is that it doesn't include the standard ESPN or ESPN2 services. Those would still require authentication against a cable/satellite/streaming provider.

Another other down side is that Roku wasn't mentioned.

Still, this might be a step in the right direction.

Give it time. My gut tells me ESPN/Disney might incorporate the forthcoming service into their existing apps similar to what the UFC has done with their Fight Pass network across OTT devices. ESPN has two different apps that offer esentially the same content. Devices like Roku have Watch ESPN and others like Apple TV have the newer ESPN app. If I were to have to guess as to what they will do, they will probably incorporate ESPN+ into the newer ESPN app, which will theoretically include everything that one gets with the cable/satellite authenticated service and they might discontinue the Watch ESPN branding while migrating devices that don't have the newer ESPN app via a software update, which would presumably include Roku.

It is a step in the direction things are heading. DirecTV is preparing for it too. I read an article recently that was talking about how they are developing what would amount to a cable box/satellite receiver that would do everything the current equipment does now, but for their DirecTV now service without the need of a satellite dish to access the service as the plan supposedly is to migrate existing DirecTV subscribers such as myself to the DirecTV Now service.

I have long said that if there was a way to get exactly what I get now via OTT distribution and have the ability to record legally to physical media as I can now, I would probably cut the cord. I think this thing DirecTV is working on will be the start of that process for me.

As far as ESPN, they have been losing subscribers as cord-cutting has grown. This new service is clearly the response to that and Disney will be smart enough to realize that if people are going to be paying a fee for the service, they will want access to all things ESPN for the price. It's smart business and if they do it right they will be able to recover from their recent loses and in a few years they will probably be in a stronger position than they are currently.
0 Kudos