Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sure82
Level 7

Does anyone have problems with HBO max? Its not working well since last week on my roku device..

When we tried to see HBO Max content, it doesnt work.  I want to know if anyone else has the same situation, or know something about it...

8 REPLIES 8\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: Does anyone have problems with HBO max? Its not working well since last week on my roku device..

There was an update (50.13.3) last Thursday (7/30) - this is probably the source of your issues.

Try reinstalling the app:

1) Remove the HBO Max app (Highlight the app, press the Options (*) button on the remote, then Remove)

2) RESTART the Roku (Settings/System/System restart/Restart) <-- MUST DO THIS HERE!!!

3) Re-install the HBO Max app

(Otherwise, if you dont restart settings/cached data associated with the app are left behind and it wont be a clean re-install)

0 Kudos
canuck33
Level 7

Re: Does anyone have problems with HBO max? Its not working well since last week on my roku device..

Yes.  I got an email from HBO Max thanking me for my update.  If I didn’t make the update to contact customer service.  Of course I found nothing about that situation.  I later changed my password in case I was hacked but to no avail.  I can’t sign into HBO max…..can’t reactivate, can’t do anything.  When I go to the app it just shows the usual stuff for freebies and Sign Up Now.  HELP

0 Kudos
canuck33
Level 7

I don’t get the option to remove channel.  Just move or manage subscription.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@canuck33 wrote:

I don’t get the option to remove channel.  Just move or manage subscription.

Unfortunately due to poor UX design decisions by Roku, you cannot remove apps that have a current Roku Pay-based subscription:

https://support.roku.com/article/232010488

You will need to cancel your Roku Pay-based HBO Max subscription before you can remove the app:

https://my.roku.com/account/subscriptions

0 Kudos
Hi2uDavid
Level 7

I went to "Manage Subscription" and cancelled.  I then removed the app.  I went to the Roku settings and restarted my Roku Ultra. I added HBO back and signed in again. After doing all of this I still have the video freeze.  This makes the app worthless. I have not re-subscribed because I can no longer watch HBO!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@Hi2uDavid wrote:

I went to "Manage Subscription" and cancelled.  I then removed the app.  I went to the Roku settings and restarted my Roku Ultra. I added HBO back and signed in again. After doing all of this I still have the video freeze.  This makes the app worthless. I have not re-subscribed because I can no longer watch HBO!

You'll need to report this to HBO (they develop and release the HBO Max app):

https://help.hbomax.com/us/ContactUs

You can also use Roku's app reporting functionality:  Highlight HBO Max/Options/Give us feedback

0 Kudos
hak3606
Level 7

I reinstalled HBOMax (including Roku restart) on my Roku Express and still have the same issue.   I can't view any HBOMax content.   Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hey @hak3606

We're sorry for the experience. 

Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. We suggest following the suggestion provided by one of our streaming experts @StreamUser. There's likely an issue within HBO Max that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos