Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MWDXER
Level 10

Does a Roku TV have the same access that an Roku Express have?

In an announcement from Disney, they said that the new Disney+ service will be coming on Nov 12th. The info went on to state that their first streaming device will be the Roku TV. Now does that mean, the rest of the Roku players will have the same access? I always figured, that anything Roku, you could get the same apps on them. Is there any difference between what is available on the Roku TV or like a Roku Express? Thanks.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Does a Roku TV have the same access that an Roku Express have?

Yes, in general, new channels are available on all devices. In the past this wasn't true because older hardware couldn't handle the more advanced channel code, but I don't see why Disney would release a new channel only to the Roku TVs, as those aren't even the most rohust, hardware-wise.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 8

Did the announcement come directly from Disney? Even if it did, some people seem to think that just because there's something called an "Apple TV" any Roku is a "Roku TV".

-JT
0 Kudos
MWDXER
Level 10

The Roku TV comment did come from the Disney + announcement. I figured a Roku is a Roku. The access to the apps should be the same. I have two Express+ and an old LT as a backup, I never use now as it is so slow. I also have the Fire TV Box and a Chromecast. The Roku I use more than any of them. I do like the Fire TV Box in one regard as I can get live streaming from HBO, etc. Thanks for the replies.
0 Kudos
MWDXER
Level 10

Even though I have yet to get a direct response from Roku, everything I have read says to get a Roku player rather than a Roku Smart TV as many of the apps are not available on the TV's. So Disney's statement must mean, Disney+ will be on all Roku devices. Nothing else makes any sense. Thanks again for the feedback.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"MWDXER" wrote:
Even though I have yet to get a direct response from Roku, everything I have read says to get a Roku player rather than a Roku Smart TV as many of the apps are not available on the TV's. So Disney's statement must mean, Disney+ will be on all Roku devices. Nothing else makes any sense. Thanks again for the feedback.

Other than a handful of games, my Roku TV can do everything my Roku 3 can do.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
MWDXER
Level 10

So some of the games are not available on both Roku's (TV or Roku 3)? I wonder why the difference?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"MWDXER" wrote:
So some of the games are not available on both Roku's (TV or Roku 3)? I wonder why the difference?

If a game requires a gaming remote -- remember Angry Birds? -- it won't be available on a device that doesn't support a gaming remote.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
MWDXER
Level 10

Okay, that I understand. Some players you can add a game remote.
0 Kudos