Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Does Roku monitor private channels installed? I HATE being profiled.

I got into a conversation with a group of people the other day, some of which own a roku, some which don't. The question that was most interesting is how Roku sells profiling information with excuses to give you better content etc.

The main question however was, if you install one or more so called private channels on your Roku, is Roku aware of what you have installed and so can monitor, nab stats, what ever they do inside the little box that isn't so public.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Does Roku monitor private channels installed? I HATE being profiled.

@DaBlues wrote:

I got into a conversation with a group of people the other day, some of which own a roku, some which don't. The question that was most interesting is how Roku sells profiling information with excuses to give you better content etc.

The main question however was, if you install one or more so called private channels on your Roku, is Roku aware of what you have installed and so can monitor, nab stats, what ever they do inside the little box that isn't so public.

Well, obviously Roku knows what channels are installed, as they are all linked to your account. As to exactly what they say they do with that information, here's the web page with their privacy policy as it is applied in the US: 

https://docs.roku.com/published/userprivacypolicy/en/us

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Your reply is exactly what we already know so hoping for more replies Smiley Happy Thanks of course for your input.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Roku is aware of every channel installed, public or private, because the channel code/package resides on their server.  Whether or not they collect any information from those channels is anyone's guess.  I can tell you they no longer provide any kind of metrics to developers for private channels (which, speaking as a developer, is disappointing).

-JT

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

From what I'm reading, it is because they are a profiling organization. They sell ads and they sell profiling data.

It's sad really. I remember using the very first Roku device ever to come out and loved it. Now they have become just another profiling entity. There is way too much of this going on with companies these days. They have no idea how to earn their keep without having to stoop to this.

Personally, I'm going to keep using it only until I find another company that is just starting out like Roku did. Posting this and doing some research really puts it all in perspective.

0 Kudos