Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OpenSorce
Level 8

Re: Did Roku really get rid of the Spectrum app?

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser wrote:

@OpenSorce wrote:

I'm selling my "Broke-Ooo" on ebay as we speak. 
So, yeah. Bought a Chromecast with Google TV with 6 months of Netflix. It's basically getting it for $6 by prepaying for 6 months of Netflix. Spectrum TV (and basically anything else from you browser or phone) will stream to it just like the old Chromecast but it also has native Android TV apps and a remote. Plus, other apps can be sideloaded.

Roku used to be the best, then they got greedy. Glad I can walk away from them with only one device currently.

Just remember all these devices/platforms have issues & limitations, at the firmware/hardware level, and/or at the app level, so its best to have multiple streaming platforms/devices to maximize app/functionality usage.  I'd recommend 3, and keeping the Roku for those situations, and then use the device where the app is available & more functional/capable (apps are not equal among platforms, or even within the same platform).

I'm going to disagree here. While there used to be the limitation of not being able to cast Spectrum or Prime Video with Chromecast, those are no longer issues. Alexa integration is basically the only outstanding issue I, personally, have. What other limitations do you actually see with the Chromecast with Google TV?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@OpenSorce 

For one, Android TV doesn't currently support HDR in YouTube. HBO Max is stereo, not 5.1. Prime Video 5.1 is hit or miss. And there's other issues as well. I have to agree with @StreamerUser that for most users having more than one streaming device is almost a necessity. While I use my Nvidia Shield (Android TV) for the majority of my viewing, I have retained all my Roku devices as well. As has been said multiple times in this forum and others, there is no single streaming device that does "everything". Android devices come the closest, but still fall short. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
iamjoeyc
Level 7

Re: spectrum app not working

Jump to solution

It is not true that the app will keep working!!!!!!! I have had it on my Roku since 2018 and it just disappeared from my Roku and Rokus answer to us is to do nothing and ignore us. So I am switching my service to a different streaming provider other than Roku.

I recommend everyone else do the same, this giant corporate bandit is not worth the investment of time or money.

0 Kudos
bjinmich
Level 7

Who is to blame for Spectrum TV app not working?

Jump to solution

Wondering who is really to blame for Roku and Spectrum not reaching a contract agreement. I would like to know who to dump. Spectrum is saying its ROKU?????

atc98092

Re: Who is to blame for Spectrum TV app not working?

Jump to solution

One side will always tell you it's the other party. Without being part of either negotiating team, no one can really say for sure. My guess is it's a little of both, with Spectrum probably being more at "fault". Overall I see it more as another cable company sticking it to their customers, who have already invested in hardware so they didn't have to rent cable boxes from the company. Now they see a way to make someone else the bad guy.

I don't subscribe to any TV service, so I have nothing in this issue. I don't work in this industry (I'm a federal worker, nearing retirement), and I only offer what I see as an outside observer. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 16

Jump to solution

Yep.  This dispute is much like the cable/sat TV company vs the local station disputes that have been going on for decades now.  Each side will always blame the other.  Some people still want to know who they should blame, and some people are willing to have long detailed arguments about that, though as far as I can see, people never really come to any consensus.  Some people will ask when it will end, but when two parties disagree, neither knows.  All we can do is ride it out.  Switch something if you like, or watch something else for a while, or read a book or two.

If you decide to switch something, expect that whatever you switch to will have some kind of dispute with someone in 6 months anyway.  I don’t expect these things to stop any time soon.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

The least expensive short term solution is to buy an inexpensive Chromecast, which has a Spectrum app. Since there's things the Roku does better than the Chromecast, I recommend keeping them as well. 

Dan

Dubman67
Level 9

Jump to solution

Chat with Spectrum!! They may be able to send you an email with a code to add it back to your Roku account. Bite your tongue and be nice to whoever you chat with.. Got my app back!! At least for now 

0 Kudos
OpenSorce
Level 8

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@OpenSorce 

For one, Android TV doesn't currently support HDR in YouTube. HBO Max is stereo, not 5.1. Prime Video 5.1 is hit or miss. And there's other issues as well. I have to agree with @StreamerUser that for most users having more than one streaming device is almost a necessity. While I use my Nvidia Shield (Android TV) for the majority of my viewing, I have retained all my Roku devices as well. As has been said multiple times in this forum and others, there is no single streaming device that does "everything". Android devices come the closest, but still fall short. 

These are good points but not really anything that affects me. I will, of course, keep multiple streaming devices. I have old school Chromecasts, Fire TV sticks and an old TiVo dongle somewhere. You never know when one is going to **bleep** out. That said, the goal is to not be forced to keep switching devices just to enjoy TV. Android TV (which will soon be replaced by/rebranded as Google TV) is at the top of the food chain. I'm in. I gave Roku their shot and they got greedy. I'm off to greener pastures and hope everyone else is fortunate enough to make the switch as well. Deuces!

0 Kudos
ShadowFalls
Level 7

Jump to solution

@Dubman67 wrote:

Chat with Spectrum!! They may be able to send you an email with a code to add it back to your Roku account. Bite your tongue and be nice to whoever you chat with.. Got my app back!! At least for now 

You definitely should always be polite to customer service. They are almost always more willing to help you if you aren't a douche.

0 Kudos