Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Does Roku Express support Amazon Prime Video in the UK?

I have just setup my Roku Express to use in London and cannot find the Amazon Prime Video listed in the Channel Store and from what I read in the Community, it doesn't seem to be available in the UK. 

I have a UK subscription to Amazon Prime Video and bought the Roku Express as, according to the advertising and information I read, it supported Amazon Prime Video.

Could someone clarify if Amazon Prime Video is supported on the Roku Express in the UK? If it is not, then I would like  to know ASAP so I can return the device.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Does Roku Express support Amazon Prime Video in the UK?

Prime Video has been available via Roku in the UK for five years or so.  It also should be supported on Roku Express models (it won't work on some older underpowered models).

Sometimes geographical issues can get in the way, though. 

Was your Roku account created in the UK, using an IP that reports its location as being in the UK (i.e. not being reported as elsewhere due to using a VPN)?

Are you currently using an IP that reports its location as being in the UK?

Was your Roku purchased from a source in the UK?

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it was bought from a UK source.

I do use a VPN and it is possible it was reporting a location other than the UK when I created the Roku account.

How would I fix this? Do I need to re-create my Roku account?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@moonbrain wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it was bought from a UK source.

I do use a VPN and it is possible it was reporting a location other than the UK when I created the Roku account.

How would I fix this? Do I need to re-create my Roku account?

Yes, it's most likely your account isn't registered as a UK location. While @RokuDanny-R might be able to help change that, be aware that Roku will refuse support if you're using a VPN. They get very cranky about attempts to bypass regional restrictions, because they might end up as a target by lawyers. 

Chances are you will need to create a new account while not using a VPN. But you will also need to disable the VPN when using the Roku so it recognizes you are located where your account is based. Then you'll have access to whatever channels are available in the UK.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi Dan,

Thank you for you advice - I am now able to access the Amazon Prime Video app.

I factory reset the Roku Express and deleted my Roku account. I then disconnected from my VPN, recreated my Roku account and linked the Roku Express to my account and all looks to be working.

Garrie

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@moonbrain 

Thanks for the information.

It sounds like you may have created a Roku account that isn't located in your current region. If channels in your region are not available, it may indicate that your device is linked to an account that was created in a different region where that channel may not be offered by the channel provider. You'll want to make sure that you are using an internet connection located in the correct region when creating your account. You can check your IP address' reported location by visiting www.whatismyip.com - If you see an issue, you'll need to contact your ISP to help resolve any issue.

We would recommend creating a new Roku account in your region. For more information about how to create a new account, visit our Support page here: How do I create a Roku® account? Once your new account is set up, try to perform a factory reset on your device and link it to your new account. For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

In addition, per the Community Guidelines: 
Discussions regarding any usage of VPNs to circumvent established regional broadcast rules or limitations are not allowed in the Community. Any topic or comment posted regarding the use of a VPN, or any circumvention of applicable limitations, will be removed at Roku's discretion.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator