Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cartaphilus
Level 7

Documentation for VLC on Roku?

Is user documentation available for the Roku port of the VLC media player (Roku Ultra)?  I'm told this is basically VLC for Android, but none of the VLC for Android documentation I've found appears to include the Roku version.  The user interfaces seem to be quite different and some functionality that is documented for VLC on Android phones doesn't appear to be there on Roku, like the ability to access dvd menus.  A user's guide for VLC on Roku would be a big help.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
twiceover
Level 11

Re: Documentation for VLC on Roku?

VLC would have to provide this to you, it is their app.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

"Cartaphilus" wrote:
Is user documentation available for the Roku port of the VLC media player (Roku Ultra)?  I'm told this is basically VLC for Android, but none of the VLC for Android documentation I've found appears to include the Roku version.  The user interfaces seem to be quite different and some functionality that is documented for VLC on Android phones doesn't appear to be there on Roku, like the ability to access dvd menus.  A user's guide for VLC on Roku would be a big help.

There is no VLC player for Roku. Roku does not run on Android, it is a heavily modified version of Linux. VLC has stated they will never create a Roku version because the programming language used for Roku doesn't work with their application. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
jeffrok
Level 12

Yeah, just searched the web for it.. There's no public or private VLC channel for Roku.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"Cartaphilus" wrote:

A lot of people seem to think that Roku runs on Android, Chromium, or something like that. It doesn't. Whoever told you it was Android or similar was mistaken. 
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Cartaphilus
Level 7

Apologies!  My very, very bad!  I have no idea where my head was when I posted the question.  I also have an Amazon Firestick attached to the same TV, and it was the VLC port to the Firestick, which does run on Android, that was supposed to be the target of my question.  I will go take my meds and then toddle over to the Firestick forum and ask the question there.

Sorry to have bothered this group with my mistake.
atc98092
Level 15

"Cartaphilus" wrote:
Apologies!  My very, very bad!  I have no idea where my head was when I posted the question.  I also have an Amazon Firestick attached to the same TV, and it was the VLC port to the Firestick, which does run on Android, that was supposed to be the target of my question.  I will go take my meds and then toddle over to the Firestick forum and ask the question there.

Sorry to have bothered this group with my mistake.

Hey, no problem. This question has been asked before in all seriousness, so it's always good to bring it up occasionally. It's too bad that VLC won't create a Roku version, as it's an outstanding video player. And there are so many web sites that offer bogus info, such as running Kodi on a Roku player. That's another that doesn't and will never exist, but you wouldn't believe the number of web sites that make the claim, only to explain in the article that they didn't mean it would actually run on a Roku box. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
JJFaulk
Level 7

I'm new at this but so far the AllConnect play & stream channel along with the AllConnect app on my phone works very well .
0 Kudos