Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WhiteCrow49
Level 7

Do I need to get a new Roku device?

I have a Roku Streaming Stick+ on my Samsung QLED TV. I have Fios Verizon Internet with wireless router. Recently I signed up with Hulu. DirecTV Now just crashed too frequently. Hulu is beautiful. I'm loving it. But when I watched the Eagles-Vikings game this past Sunday, the image was a bit fuzzy. Over the past few days, a buffering issue has developed. Not too dramatic, but I'm concerned.

I have a good 5G connection. I'm wondering if I should get a better Roku device. I'd appreciate some advice, feedback, recommendations. I would contact Roku directly, but I can't find a way to do that. I'm looking forward to hearing back from y'all.

Peace!
WhiteCrow49
0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Do I need to get a new Roku device?

Sometimes a device plugged directly into the HDMI jack on a TV can get interference from within the TV. Roku offers a free HDMI cable extender, which is fairly short but moves the Stick further away from the TV. I sometimes use a short HDMI cable with an adapter on the end to do the same thing with my Stick, but usually just to make it more convenient to connect the power cord. The Stick + is supposed to have improved Wi-Fi over the older stick models, so I'm not certain another model would be any better. But with an Ultra you could use a wired Ethernet connection.
Since you are using a 5 GHz connection (not 5G, as that's a different technology), you might try just moving your router a little. At that frequency, a few inches can make a big difference with the radiation pattern and possible interference. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

I have a Roku stick installed on the TV in my living room. I recommend getting an extender from Roku. The primary reason I got mine was because I was worried about the stick overheating as the TV is on frequently, but I rarely if ever have any issues streaming anything on the device whether it be live content or on demand. I don't subscribe to any of the live TV streaming services at present because I am a longtime DirecTV subscriber, but I assume in time everything will be delivered by devices/platforms such as Roku. When that time comes, I will have a TV or TVs with Roku built in so that I can hopefully still use my DVD recorder when I have no on-demand back up option. The OTT services that are live streaming only, etc. 
0 Kudos
WhiteCrow49
Level 7

My TV is a Samsung QLED. It has the One Connect box. The Roku Streaming Stick+ isn't plugged directly to the TV. I quit DirecTV Now recently. It was crashing most of the time. The Hulu issue is recent.

I thought other Roku sticks might perform better.
WhiteCrow49
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"WhiteCrow49" wrote:
My TV is a Samsung QLED. It has the One Connect box. The Roku Streaming Stick+ isn't plugged directly to the TV. I quit DirecTV Now recently. It was crashing most of the time. The Hulu issue is recent.

I thought other Roku sticks might perform better.

The Steaming Stick + (model 3810) has the same processor and memory as the Ultra. You won't be upgrading if you are looking for more horsepower. Essentially, it's an Ultra without the USB, microsSD slot, and Ethernet slot, but in stick form.

Could be something wonky with the app, or with the Hulu stream itself. I don't currently use Hulu with Live TV, so I can't attempt to replicate anything.

To reset the app, you'll need to sign out of Hulu, remove the app, reboot the Stick, add the app, then sign in to Hulu. Don't skip any of those steps, and do them in that order.

It might not fix anything, if the issue is with the stream, or something fundamental in the current version of the app.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
WhiteCrow49
Level 7

Thanks. When I can, I'll try those steps. Also, I'm going to contact Hulu.
WhiteCrow49
0 Kudos