Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Do I need a second Roku subscription to Disny+ or can I log into my existing account?

Jump to solution

I have both a Disney+ and Motor Trend accounts. On Amazon I need to purchase a 2nd subscription to watch them on their platform. Is Roku the same? Or, can I login to my existing accounts without needing a specific Roku Disney+ and Motor Trend subscriptions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Do I need a second Roku subscription to Disny+ or can I log into my existing account?

Jump to solution

@Portermaster wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Amazon was the example I was using. My question is because I am considering getting a Roku device IF I can access my existing Disney+ and Motor Trend subscriptions through the Roku device WITHOUT having to pay Roku for the privilege. 

The question is because my laptop does not have a HDMI port or I would just be using that. It only has a class"C" USB port which outputs only the video when using an USB-C to HDMI adapter]

Roku themselves to not charge for any use of the device. They do offer The Roku Channel, and it is possible to different services through that. But if you have something subscribed via Amazon, you can install and use the Prime Video channel on a Roku device without paying Roku anything. If your Disney subscription supports using the dedicated D+ channel, then you can use that on a Roku, again with no payment to Roku. It sounds like you have a D+ account directly with Disney. Yes, you can watch it on a Roku player or Roku TV without paying Roku any money, at all, ever. Motor Trend also has one or more apps for Roku devices, again without needing to pay Roku anything. 

There are on-line scammers that try to convince you that there is a annual fee for Roku players, or a fee for multiple devices or to register a new device. None of that is true. If you do decide to buy a Roku, make absolutely sure you go to the correct web site to activate the Roku. That site is https://my.roku.com/link and there is no charge whatsoever to do so. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Do I need a second Roku subscription to Disny+ or can I log into my existing account?

Jump to solution

I believe it depends on the way you subscribed, and of course the channel in question. To my knowledge, if you subscribe to something through Amazon, then Prime Video is the only way to watch it. But if you had subscribed directly with the provider (such as D+), then you can use their standalone channel, and perhaps also through Amazon. I subscribed to CBS All Access directly, because Amazon didn't offer the reduced annual rate. I've never looked to see if I could add my existing CBS subscription to my Prime account and access it through their app as well. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply. Amazon was the example I was using. My question is because I am considering getting a Roku device IF I can access my existing Disney+ and Motor Trend subscriptions through the Roku device WITHOUT having to pay Roku for the privilege. 

The question is because my laptop does not have a HDMI port or I would just be using that. It only has a class"C" USB port which outputs only the video when using an USB-C to HDMI adapter]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Portermaster wrote:

Roku themselves to not charge for any use of the device. They do offer The Roku Channel, and it is possible to different services through that. But if you have something subscribed via Amazon, you can install and use the Prime Video channel on a Roku device without paying Roku anything. If your Disney subscription supports using the dedicated D+ channel, then you can use that on a Roku, again with no payment to Roku. It sounds like you have a D+ account directly with Disney. Yes, you can watch it on a Roku player or Roku TV without paying Roku any money, at all, ever. Motor Trend also has one or more apps for Roku devices, again without needing to pay Roku anything. 

There are on-line scammers that try to convince you that there is a annual fee for Roku players, or a fee for multiple devices or to register a new device. None of that is true. If you do decide to buy a Roku, make absolutely sure you go to the correct web site to activate the Roku. That site is https://my.roku.com/link and there is no charge whatsoever to do so. 

Dan

View solution in original post